Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sim_8_3  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2016 4:55:19 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Ok I got one for you guys, in my on going struggle with my Asus C90s I have an overheating GPU issue that is hard to explain, first off I should mention that the cooling for the GPU on these systems as they were made is very ineffective, the reason being is that the 4 cooling fans that are utilized for cooling both the CPU and GPU only kick in when their is demand put on the CPU, so unless your doing something CPU intensive the fans won't kick in, at least that's how I understand it from other C90S owners, so many of them have taken to modding the cooling system, I am not one of them, I am one of the many who have had to suffer with a defective 8600 graphics card, now here's the head scratcher, I have reflowed this card with both hair dryers and a heat gun for at least a year now and it keeps limping along, today it once again went beserk on me, so just to avoid reflow, all I did was unseat and reseat it and it corrected,then it went beserk again then I did the same thing, as I was typing this post it went beserk again, I checked the GPU temp on my performance monitor and it was 74 degrees C no where near the danger zone, so I decided best to reflow again, now it's working fine with 70 C I should mention I keep the C90S on a laptop cooler on High. What I don't get is how can just reseating correct the issue at least temporarily and given the fact that the temp was not high is this some kind of other issue other than overheating? I realize I prolonging the inevitable reflowing as it will eventually die, but these cards run around $100 buck and they all have the same issue so short of having it reballed which will run around $50-$100 the only other option is to mod the Bridge to put in a better card like an ATI, anyhow I don't have the time to do that right now, can anyone help me figure out why this card keeps crapping out on me? Oh by the way when I booted back up, part of my post was still in my browser so I didn't have to retype it, I thought that was pretty cool.

Thanks

Edited by user Saturday, July 16, 2016 4:55:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline tmanvest  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2016 12:25:54 AM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
hardware monitors are good but there may be a hotspot that reaches the danger zone. since you keep reflowing it i am suprised it still works.

the card keeps crapping out because it likely reached max temp for to long once and the bond weakens each time you fix it. that is just my thought on it

best advice get a new card and mod in better cooling. the less work you do on the pcs hardware the better off you might be. mod ideas putting in high airflow fans if possible or adding a non stock heatsink(may require computer case mod). in any case these may not all be easy.

Offline Sim_8_3  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2016 5:11:16 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tmanvest Go to Quoted Post
hardware monitors are good but there may be a hotspot that reaches the danger zone. since you keep reflowing it i am suprised it still works.

the card keeps crapping out because it likely reached max temp for to long once and the bond weakens each time you fix it. that is just my thought on it

best advice get a new card and mod in better cooling. the less work you do on the pcs hardware the better off you might be. mod ideas putting in high airflow fans if possible or adding a non stock heatsink(may require computer case mod). in any case these may not all be easy.

The monitor I use is part of Advanced System Care 9 it's pretty accurate compared to Speed Fan, nevertheless you may be right there may be a hotspot, yes I'm surprised it still works too. It's interesting to note that Xbox 360 fats have a similar cooling issue with the GPU, but those are not discreet they are hard wired so if they don't get reflowed or reballed you have to replace the whole board,at this point, it would be more cost effective to replace the whole C90s mainboard, but I would still need the GPU so not really I"m just saying if the GPU were not discreet like the 360 is. Their are two complicated issues here that I can't address at the moment due to lack of time and funds. One is that in order to install any other card, I would have to do a South Bridge heatsink mod as shown herehttp://www.sineva.net/~a...entation.html#Chapter_17 , as you can see it's quite involved, as I mentioned in the post the solution is not another 8600 card as they are inherently defective due to the BGA issue, the solution is another card al together but that is only going to work with the cooling mod, after all is said and done we are talking about around $100 for the mod since copper is not cheap and around $50-100 for the ATI card depending on if I can even find one that has the Vchip unlocked, which most ATIs do not unless it's pulled from an Acer Aspire, the only other option is a higher Nvidia mobile card out of China that will run around 4125 that I MAY,not guaranteed can get to work without a heatsink mood. This is the reason why I just keep reflowing, it's just not cost effective to do the mod, better to put the money towards a mini tower, but right now it's all I got to work with. I suppose the reason the glitch goes away when it's reseated is because the BGA has a little time to cool off and then it just heats up again, so it has to be reflowed, but then it heats up again over time, from what I understand the card just can't tolerate the heating cooling cycle. As I've mentioned in my earlier post there are a a lot angry C90 and Macbook Pro owners as well as other companies out there who are very disappointed in this flawed card that was shipped with their units, there was a class action suit over it as you can see it was settled https://www.consumeraffa...-dell-hp-compaq-mac.html Can you imagine spending over a $1000 on your computer only to have it keep being fixed and then when it's out of warranty your screwed! Thank goodness I got this one second hand, truth is I have about 4 of them not all working now mostly for parts, but back when they came out the went for $1500, a price you would expect to pay for a gaming desktop replacement system that can easily take a desktop CPU and has a discreet GPU. Some guys have done the oven trick here's an example http://www.addictivetips...s-card-by-baking-in-oven and they get about another 6 months to a year, I have tried that with another card but it was too hot and one of the other chips melted off, I don't think it would have worked anyway since I think that card was fried, but I really don't like the idea of sticking a circuit board in an oven. If you take a look at the article you can see it's not just Nvidia 8600 mobile cards it's other models as well. Anyhow I guess I will just have to keep reflowing till it dies. I have one other 8600 that came from another of the C90s I bought on ebay but it too has an issue and needs reflowing, the one for what it's worth the one I'm using now is actually better lol.

Edited by user Sunday, July 17, 2016 5:25:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified