Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tatoosh  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 2:56:59 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

At first I thought it was a bad USB keyboard. But then it happened with other USB keyboards. I have, over the years, managed to gather a small hoard of them.

So how bad is the keyboard?

1) Well, it simply quits working .. usually. Just no function at all. Fast fix is pull the USB out and give it a sec or two, then reinsert. 95% fix rate.

2) Sometimes it starts sending a repeated character and won't quit. Well, occasionally if I hit the key it quits but often nothing. I need to hit another key like the backspace to stop the character from repeating.

3) Sometimes I get a USB device has malfunctioned error message in the lower right corner and I need to try repair number 1 (pull out and reinsert) wich is a 33% to 40%. Sometimes I need to change the USB slot it is in. Sometimes I just have to reboot.

This never happens to my USB mouse. Not even once. Only the keyboard. It has happened with a PS2 keyboard after a few days. The pull and reinsert trick worked for awhile. Then it quit. So I went back to a USB keyboard which is easier to do.

Keyboard will seem to work, sometimes for days when new to the system and then they start getting buggy. The longer they are used, the buggier they get.

I've noticed that System Interrupts seems to be high on the process list when this is happening in Window 7 Pro 64 bit. Note, this same case, but different motherboard and Win XP had the same problem. Talk about a ghost in the machine - or at least in the box! Damn thing has me utterly baffled.

I've taken another old case, am putting a different motherobard, hard drive, legit copy of windows on it, and am going to park it in the same place to see if it is some sort of death ray from the dark side of the moon or what.

Any ideas what might cause this?

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:47:50 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Could be a series of bad boards in the keyboards, could be bad USBs, could be a lot of things xD I think you just have bad luck lol
Offline Tatoosh  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:55:53 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

I tend to agree with the last one. I can't believe I have had such a run of keyboard failures that manifest in exactly the same way.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 2:24:12 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
I tend to agree with the last one. I can't believe I have had such a run of keyboard failures that manifest in exactly the same way.

Just give the manufacturer a call :P

Offline James@PCPosh  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:55:42 PM(UTC)
James@PCPosh

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
You mention that you've tried different motherboards and different operating systems, but have you tried using any of these USB keyboards on a completely different computer just to see how they do?

Under normal circumstances, changing out motherboards is usually a pretty "fix all" solution, but I'm having a hard time speculating what could be causing you so many issues without resorting to EMFs, Magnetism, or "Is there a spooky ghost in here?".

So the best I can pull from is experience. I had a client one time who was having USB issues and their son swapped their motherboard out for them figuring it was the mobo's fault. But when that didn't fix things they called me. After some testing and tinkering, I came to the conclusion that the USB ports they were using were the culprit, as they were built into the case and connected to the board through the standard leadpins. Switching everything to the back USB ports and installing a high quality USB hub solved their issues.

But you might already be using the USB directly on the board, plus you had an issue with a PS2 keyboard which I'm assuming you connected directly to the PS2 port and not through a USB to PS2 adapter. So, I can't really say for sure.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 4:19:00 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Knowing Tat's track record, it is probably ly bad lucky xD Darn you foreign ghosts! XD
Offline Tatoosh  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 10:05:06 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

James, it is such a puzzle. I am using the rear panel so connecting to the motherboard. But I wonder if the front card reader/usb hub panel might somehow affect the whole USB setup? I will pull it after my other computer is updated and see if that has any affect.

As far as I know, the other (3rd) computer that the keyboards are used on do not seem to have a problem. I don't use that computer - but have not heard from family members that do about any problems. However, I haven't been cycling the keyboards through it either. I've swapped out one at least once though and got no adverse reports back.

I think something is bugging the system - and the reader hub is all that I can think of. The case has a new (read used but new to it) power supply compared to when I ran XP on it. So new MoBo, new-ish power supply, various keyboards, same problem re-occurring over time.

Blackhawk - you may be right - a case of a haunted case ... angrydevil

Offline James@PCPosh  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 10:50:21 PM(UTC)
James@PCPosh

Man
United States

Well, before we call Ghost Busters out to the Philippines, maybe disconnect that card reader, make sure your chipset driver is up to date, and see how things go.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:02:20 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: James@PCPosh Go to Quoted Post
Well, before we call Ghost Busters out to the Philippines, maybe disconnect that card reader, make sure your chipset driver is up to date, and see how things go.

Or just try a different PC :P

Offline Sim_8_3  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2016 10:16:21 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I might have missed it but all I saw is what James said about chipset drivers but I didn't see anyone mention that it could just be the OS, is it possible that the USB drivers are just corrupted and need to be replaced? Have you tried running a SFC on there just to make sure nothing got corrupted and needs replacing?

Edited by user Thursday, May 5, 2016 10:33:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tatoosh  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2016 7:49:13 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

James, thank you for your advice. I should do the chipset driver check, I'll have to look up how to do that.

Blackhawk, Yes, I do. I just had the new (used motherboard) installed - and after installing my legit Windows 7 pro on it, sucker up died. So the Windows 7 can't be used again - having been used once. My comments after that are not allowed to be recorded. I bought another used Mobo here and it is sitting beside me waiting for a test run with it's totally "not genuine" Windows 7 pro - despite my best efforts to be street legal.

Sim_8_3, what does SFC stand for? I'll try doing it once I know what it is.

Okay - at this point I must confess - it may be my keyboard(s)! How can so many keyboards go south? Including both USB and PS2 connectors? Is that even possible? Not like I am writing novels on these things. Mouse I could understand. I click a billion times in the games I play. But the keyboard - it's all up arrow or down arrow for Battle Pirates - except when they are being comms warriors, which is why I keep comms closed for the most part.

I bought the cheapest 200 peso (under $5 US) keyboard at the shop that did the board install on my other computer. Working like a little champ. Weight is about 7 ounces if that much. No nice mechanical keys, no metal base plate, none of the stuff at least some of the other keyboards had - though mostly they were cheaper membrane keyboards. But it works. No "USB Device Has Quit Working" errors - so far.

Bleh! I'm patiently waiting for a slow cargo ship that is carrying my new gamer keyboard to me - hopefully it arrives before I leave for the States.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2016 11:47:16 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

It is possible for many keyboards to die internally and externally. It could be the USBs, or come connection inside the keyboard case on the boards mobo.
Offline tmanvest  
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2016 3:09:11 AM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

it could be the usb driver (but i have my doubts). im baffled as to how you could have such bad luck. are you using wired or wireless keyboards. wireless keyboards tend to be finicky. also try putting you usb devices on different hubs(like keyboard in the front and mouse in the back) if you still have the same issue use a linux live cd boot into that os and see if you have the same issue(they are free and good and the most commonly used one is UBUNTU). If you are lucky we will know what is going on.