Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Lonemann83  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 5:34:52 PM(UTC)
Lonemann83


Rank: Newbie

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/29/2016(UTC)
Posts: 8

Hi there,

sabertooth x79

4820k h100i watercooler

16GB corsair quad channel vengeance

290x 4gb (reference)

120gb samsung evo SSD

2tb seagate HHD

EVGA nex750b PSU

I recently got a 290x but I am experiencing microstutter when playing Battlefield 4,

even with Vsync I still get it slightly to the point I just can't play it anymore..

I have used a 980ti for the last year without any issues at all, so I am assuming

my PSU isn't stable when under full AMD load but I have spoke to someone with basically

the same system and he said he doesn't have the same problem.

I hear this PSU is average, any advice before I buy another PSU

I underclocked the the card to see if that would sort the problem but it precised

Many Thanks grin

Edited by user Friday, April 29, 2016 6:19:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 7:28:24 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100


Rank: Administration

Reputation:

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Joined: 5/7/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,941
Man
United States
Location: A Cold Place

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
First question, WHY DID YOU GO TO A 290x from a 980ti?! Second, it may too high of settings for BF5, try turning down FSAA (Anti-aliasing) first, then try other settings :P
Offline Lonemann83  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 8:02:03 PM(UTC)
Lonemann83


Rank: Newbie

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/29/2016(UTC)
Posts: 8

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
First question, WHY DID YOU GO TO A 290x from a 980ti?! Second, it may too high of settings for BF5, try turning down FSAA (Anti-aliasing) first, then try other settings :P

I am building a new pc for my son, just gathering parts so haven't actually gave up my TI LOL

I'm getting 100-145 frames on ultra, FSAA isn't an issue

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 8:35:03 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100


Rank: Administration

Reputation:

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Joined: 5/7/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,941
Man
United States
Location: A Cold Place

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lonemann83 Go to Quoted Post
I am building a new pc for my son, just gathering parts so haven't actually gave up my TI LOL

I'm getting 100-145 frames on ultra, FSAA isn't an issue

FSAA can cause microstuttering though, give it a shot :P

Offline Lonemann83  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 8:54:40 PM(UTC)
Lonemann83


Rank: Newbie

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/29/2016(UTC)
Posts: 8

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
FSAA can cause microstuttering though, give it a shot :P

Didn't work sad

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 12:18:00 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100


Rank: Administration

Reputation:

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Joined: 5/7/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,941
Man
United States
Location: A Cold Place

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
It could be card temps getting too high, I'm not entirely sure. Do some Google-Fu :P It is weird
Offline James@PCPosh  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 4:33:46 AM(UTC)
James@PCPosh


Rank: Member

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/30/2016(UTC)
Posts: 80
Man
United States

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I would try disabling vsync completely given that Vsync is going to effectively lock your frame rate to that of your monitor. So if you're pulling 145 FPS in game but your monitor is only capable of displaying 60, vsync is going to try and save you some extra processing power by only rendering every Xth frame - and stutter can be produced.

Vsync is really required for older games and emulators -- things which are keyed to perform actions using the frame change as a sort of rudimentary system clock. Without vysnc older games would screen tear like no one's business trying to display more frames per second than they were ever scripted to.

If disabling vsync doesn't do it for you, try installing AMD's Gaming Evolved software (yes, I recognize that it is largely crap -- but it does a pretty good job of assessing your hardware and making game setting recommendations off of those. I'd recommend trying out their "optimization" and then customizing it, ONE SETTING AT A TIME, until you get your screen tearing back).

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 10:37:25 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100


Rank: Administration

Reputation:

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Joined: 5/7/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,941
Man
United States
Location: A Cold Place

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: James@PCPosh Go to Quoted Post
I would try disabling vsync completely given that Vsync is going to effectively lock your frame rate to that of your monitor. So if you're pulling 145 FPS in game but your monitor is only capable of displaying 60, vsync is going to try and save you some extra processing power by only rendering every Xth frame - and stutter can be produced.

Vsync is really required for older games and emulators -- things which are keyed to perform actions using the frame change as a sort of rudimentary system clock. Without vysnc older games would screen tear like no one's business trying to display more frames per second than they were ever scripted to.

If disabling vsync doesn't do it for you, try installing AMD's Gaming Evolved software (yes, I recognize that it is largely crap -- but it does a pretty good job of assessing your hardware and making game setting recommendations off of those. I'd recommend trying out their "optimization" and then customizing it, ONE SETTING AT A TIME, until you get your screen tearing back).

I think he had VSync off originally :P

Offline Lonemann83  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 1:20:53 PM(UTC)
Lonemann83


Rank: Newbie

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/29/2016(UTC)
Posts: 8

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
I think he had VSync off originally :P

Originally Posted by: James@PCPosh Go to Quoted Post
I would try disabling vsync completely given that Vsync is going to effectively lock your frame rate to that of your monitor. So if you're pulling 145 FPS in game but your monitor is only capable of displaying 60, vsync is going to try and save you some extra processing power by only rendering every Xth frame - and stutter can be produced.

Vsync is really required for older games and emulators -- things which are keyed to perform actions using the frame change as a sort of rudimentary system clock. Without vysnc older games would screen tear like no one's business trying to display more frames per second than they were ever scripted to.

If disabling vsync doesn't do it for you, try installing AMD's Gaming Evolved software (yes, I recognize that it is largely crap -- but it does a pretty good job of assessing your hardware and making game setting recommendations off of those. I'd recommend trying out their "optimization" and then customizing it, ONE SETTING AT A TIME, until you get your screen tearing back).

Hey guys,

Ok so to be clear I have tried every variation of settings to eliminate but nothing

worked at all. I had a brain storm and searched google for 'signs gpu is underpowered'

and i found that a common factor was to notice shadows like artifacts and I found them

last night on BF4

shadow

I always use Vsync otherwise i get screen tear so that isn't a factor either

Thanks

Edited by moderator Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:08:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed your image ~BlackHawk8100

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:13:28 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100


Rank: Administration

Reputation:

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Joined: 5/7/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,941
Man
United States
Location: A Cold Place

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Give this a whirl, set your GPU fan speeds to manual and crank them to 80% roughly. May help with temps, since auto fan control has a cap for some stupid reason.
Offline Lonemann83  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:20:41 PM(UTC)
Lonemann83


Rank: Newbie

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/29/2016(UTC)
Posts: 8

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
Give this a whirl, set your GPU fan speeds to manual and crank them to 80% roughly. May help with temps, since auto fan control has a cap for some stupid reason.

I have done that, it didn't make a difference

I leave it at around 70% and it keeps the temperatures just below 80 which is reasonable

for a AMD reference card I think

Thanks

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 3:46:16 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100


Rank: Administration

Reputation:

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Joined: 5/7/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,941
Man
United States
Location: A Cold Place

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Weird, I honestly don't know. May have to return the card and have it replaced :P
Offline James@PCPosh  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 1, 2016 9:28:10 PM(UTC)
James@PCPosh


Rank: Member

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/30/2016(UTC)
Posts: 80
Man
United States

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Silly question, but assuming modular power supply: have you tried unplugging the cable from both the GPU and the PSU, blowing each end clean, and reassembling? You may also want to ensure that the cable ends have enough contact exposed on both the GPU and PSU side. Failing all else, swap the cable completely.

Edited by user Sunday, May 1, 2016 9:29:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Submitted too early.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 1, 2016 9:51:47 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100


Rank: Administration

Reputation:

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Joined: 5/7/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,941
Man
United States
Location: A Cold Place

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: James@PCPosh Go to Quoted Post
Silly question, but assuming modular power supply: have you tried unplugging the cable from both the GPU and the PSU, blowing each end clean, and reassembling? You may also want to ensure that the cable ends have enough contact exposed on both the GPU and PSU side. Failing all else, swap the cable completely.

If that doesn't work, then RMA!

Offline Lonemann83  
#15 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2016 12:07:00 AM(UTC)
Lonemann83


Rank: Newbie

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/29/2016(UTC)
Posts: 8

Originally Posted by: James@PCPosh Go to Quoted Post
Silly question, but assuming modular power supply: have you tried unplugging the cable from both the GPU and the PSU, blowing each end clean, and reassembling? You may also want to ensure that the cable ends have enough contact exposed on both the GPU and PSU side. Failing all else, swap the cable completely.

Yes I unplugged everything and cleaned them out

It's really weird because I get high frames without vsync 100+ with constant stutter

but with vsync on it's better but it drop below 60 all the time and gives me lag

I have to turn all monitoring software off or the lag is even worse

Edited by user Monday, May 2, 2016 12:08:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Users browsing this topic
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.