Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sim_8_3  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:43:26 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
So not everyone is in a position to run out and an buy an Alienware Area 51 or MSI gaming laptop, most people who find themselves in that position usually end up doing their own gaming rig build, but now I'm learning that there is another option especially for those who are on a tight budget and would rather not tinker with making their own build for some obvious and not so obvious reasons, some gamers have taken old systems like Dells that have an upgradeable CPU and Graphics card and made them into gaming rigs, now of course they aren't going to be comparable to an Area 51 with an i7 Chip but they are able to play some games like GTA V on low to medium settings, and the cost is around $150-200 bucks so it doesn't set you back at least4 to 5 bills like the build would, also these cases like the Optiplex for example are small form factor so they take up less space, but of course the trade off is less space, less room for cooling, so you more than likely will have higher temps in the case and I seriously doubt it would be possible to introduce water cooling into such a tight space but I might be wrong. Have any of you experimented with this type of upgrade if so I would be very interested in hearing your experience with it?

Thanks

Edited by user Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:25:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:20:23 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
IDK if this applies well...but...here:
Offline fortunz  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:47:18 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
It's not a bad gateway to building your own computer eventually. Before I built my first from scratch, I upgrades an off the shelf emachines desktop a little here and little there. The more you learn that way, the less you have left to learn when you build from scratch. And if you're like me, once you do build from scratch, you're going to want to buy parts that will allow you intermediate upgrades before your next full build so you can drag out the life of your PSU, case, optical drive, possibly an aftermarket cooler, ssd and only replace a few items. Nothing wrong with starting at that intermediate stage.

If you buy build from dell, might be a medium case, you have to be extra careful about the size of everything, cpu cooler, RAM height, GPU thickness. My first case, and the one I still use, is a full atx. I never have to comb through reviews looking for caveats on components, I can just shop the sales and get what I want quicker and cheaper.

As to gaming on medium settings, well, that's most of my experience. The only time I don't game on medium is when I'm gaming on low wink Not knowing what high settings look like probably makes it easier to do without.

Offline Sim_8_3  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:50:23 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

I watched the video and shameless promos aside, I have to say I was surprised as well to find that an Asus gaming desktop at BB is a little less than something you would build yourself, that said i never shop there so I would most likely purchase it on Amazon. The key here is "recommended gaming config" the same model is available with an integrated graphics card on Amazon for around $400 U.S. but as we all know that is not going to be a good gaming rig and you will need a PCI or AGP graphics card, if there an AGP slot included, so you are paying more for the same PC as a gaming rig, which I don't mind, but at the end of the day it really comes down to how far you take future upgrades. So for me I would have to say that building your own from either scratch or re purposing say an old Dell Optiplex like in the video I found, I will have to post a link to Youtube, it really does boil down to how much bang for your buck you can get. I wish it was like in the old days of the Pentiums and Win 98, the games then where only 8 or 16 bit at best and what you had is what you had and anything beyond that hadn't even been invented, till the day they came out with the Celerons AGP card and I guess from there it just grew and grew, I haven't built my own since that era and now I may have no choice unless I can afford to buy one of these newer rigs.Here is the video I was talking about building a rig that can at least run GTA V on minimum recommended requirements from an old Optiplex $150 Gaming Desktop I just took a quick look at another video by this guy that is a Fallout 4 PC for $300 and in it he says that the AMD A10 Chip is unlocked meaning "you can overclock it as much as modern cooling permits" can you guys confirm over clocking part?

Edited by user Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:58:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 8:45:38 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Can't confirm, but more than likely true :P
Offline fortunz  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 9:49:58 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Quote:
I have to say I was surprised as well to find that an Asus gaming desktop at BB is a little less than something you would build yourself,

There can be a building premium, especially if you pay retail for every part and before you have parts you can reuse. If you're patient and shop the sales maybe even work a few rebates, you can do better over the long run. You get something at BB and don't pay attention to what PSU it has, then you want to upgrade your GPU and discover you need a new PSU even though you have a perfectly good one already. Plus if you take into account parts from this build that will carry over well into your next build and the one after that, a little investment now goes a long way. Not everything cheaper in the moment saves you money over the long haul.

But it's definitely easier to let to BB do it and that's worth the premium to some folks, nothing wrong with that. I'd rather buy my clothes than make them even if I could save buck (I probably couldn't). But I enjoy planning, shopping for and building my desktop.

If you'll post the model number from the A10 you're asking about, I'll happily look at it, but FWIW, I won't be able to tell you anything a quick googling of the model number won't. Watch for a review from a reputable place, one will be near the top of the results and to boot you'll see some comparative benchmarks too.

Offline Sim_8_3  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 10:20:24 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
Can't confirm, but more than likely true :P

Well I would think that if you can over clock that makes these much better than the Intel i series even the i7s?

Offline Sim_8_3  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 10:36:02 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Since this is still on the same subject and there is no need to start a new thread and I am watching the Fallout 4 PC video Greenhams made I have to ask a very important question, he is recommending an Asrock mobo with inegrated R7, but I just remembered why I prefer stand alone graphics cards VS. the integrated ones, besides the fact back in the day they were garbage and you couldn't run the most least graphics intensive games, they share RAM memory and have none of their own, so that would mean you should have at least 2x as much RAM installed, so how can you run Fallout 4 with only 2 4GB sticks with an integrated Radeon? I would think anyone who is on a tight budget might consider going this route rather than pony up another $75 or more for a Radeon fan cooled card, but IDK.
Offline Sim_8_3  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 10:38:17 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

New Egg has rebates in fact right now they have a pretty good one for the Asrock, would you consider a build that has an integrated Radeon Graphics card or not?
Offline fortunz  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 10:45:58 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Originally Posted by: Sim_8_3 Go to Quoted Post
New Egg has rebates in fact right now they have a pretty good one for the Asrock, would you consider a build that has an integrated Radeon Graphics card or not?

If you're referring to the integrated Radeon in a recent AMD APU, that is my build. I have a a8-7600 and there are a lot of models that offer a lot of bang for the buck. If you're actually talking about something integrated in the motherboard I'd need to know the motherboard model. I had one like that a long time ago but I'm not familiar with models today. What sort of processor would you pair with it? FX?

Offline Sim_8_3  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 3:58:46 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

So if I understand correctly,radeon can both be integrated into the AMD APU such as the A10 and it's also integrated in the mobo as well. Ok as for the mobo we are talking about the same one in this video
I believe it's a ASRock FM2A88M PRO3+ FM2+. I'm sure there has to be some kind of loss going this route, but what?
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:31:18 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

For AMD, if it ends in "K," it is overclockable. Also, I do believe the Radeon iGPU cores are in the physical processor, alongside the processing cores. :P
Offline StaticFX  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 9:22:46 AM(UTC)
StaticFX

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
the Video (GPU) is not integrated into the motherboard, only in the CPU/APU. The motherboard must support this feature for you to use it. Thats what its talking about. If the motherboard doesnt have integrated graphics support then you cant make use of it. Easy way to tell is look at the plugs for the back of the MB. If it has the vga/dvi/hdmi then it has the ability.

As far as "Loss" - yes... the integrated GPU on AMD/Intel cpus are not very good.. passable..but... A10-7700 (shown in the video) has a 260x. So, its a lower end card. You could play League of Legends or DOTA with no issues - CS:GO yep.. most older games will be fine. Fallout 4, just know that you wont have max settings.

I have an R9 270 in my pc and it runs the newer games ok.. a 260x is around the same performance.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 9:28:01 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Static, isn't that kinda what I said? XD
Offline fortunz  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:42:03 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Originally Posted by: Sim_8_3 Go to Quoted Post
Well I would think that if you can over clock that makes these much better than the Intel i series even the i7s?

Overclocking isn't magic. It's just a boost. A boost from a budget chip still leaves you in budget territory. Beyond that, there are also Core i processors with unlocked multipliers (these models also end in "K") for easy overclocking.

Core i processors are better than anything AMD has to the best of my knowledge. That's why they cost 2x-10x as much.