Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<345
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline tmanvest  
#61 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 1:05:16 PM(UTC)
tmanvest

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
interesting thought since amd uses samsung and global foundries as its fabs i could see them being the more likely organization to aquire amd. Samsung being such a large company could only gain by taking and improving amds processors and global foundries is owed a lot of money from amd so if anything these may be the new competitors should amd fail
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#62 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:50:01 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
The wording seemed funky to me, as I read it as Intel uses tech that AMD made that Intel used to make AMD lol

Edited by user Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:50:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline tmanvest  
#63 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:48:30 PM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
The wording seemed funky to me, as I read it as Intel uses tech that AMD made that Intel used to make AMD lol

that is a mess. intel uses amds tech just like amd uses intel tech. they dont give specifics to eachother but help eachother advance

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#64 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2016 9:23:10 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Like I said, I read it completely wrong lol
Offline fortunz  
#65 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:16:59 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tmanvest Go to Quoted Post
interesting thought since amd uses samsung and global foundries as its fabs i could see them being the more likely organization to aquire amd. Samsung being such a large company could only gain by taking and improving amds processors and global foundries is owed a lot of money from amd so if anything these may be the new competitors should amd fail

Any discount that debt could produce would certainly make the transition easier to manage. Though I suppose it depends on how many other parties AMD owes. A buyer might want to wait to acquire them after a restructuring that could even the playing field.

I wonder how a company like Samsung would manage AMD? I know behind the consumer units, they make tons of boring internals for everyone, including arch-rival Apple. And they've got that flashier consumer facing side. You almost need both of those competencies to really succeed in the desktop/laptop CPU/GPU business. Part of me wants to not like the idea for reasons I can't put my finger on, but it makes a lot of sense.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#66 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 11:03:42 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I'd be actually interested to see what Samsung would do with AMD, or Microsoft.
Offline Device Unknown  
#67 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 4:04:05 AM(UTC)
Device Unknown

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well, if you understand IPO, you'll know AMD will never shut down. There are only 3 licensed x86 holders. Intel, AMD and ViA (used to be Cyrix, who sold to National Semiconductor, who sold to VIA)

Most of the patents in the x86 architecture are shared. It's left up to each company to decide where it wants to put it's R&D. I remember being heart broken when AMD announced they will not be competing with the high end processors from Intel back in like 2011. I'm a big fan of the underdogs. I even have a VIA mini-ITX htpc.

And just today they announced AMD had a MUCH higher earnings statement than predicted. Thats great news. for everyone.

What we need is more competition in the high end market. Not just because it can lower prices, but it can spur ingenuity. My belief is that Intel, sitting at the top of a 1 man army has become lackadaisical. They have little compunction to strive harder to make the best. That may be why they are abandoning the tick-tock releases. No need.

AMD still holds the strongest leverage in the low end and Laptop markets. You can't beat AMD's APUs. which is driving the sub- $500 Laptop market.

ViA is not a large enough competitor to even begin entering the average consumer market again. They would need a partner who can supply the capable engineers and R&D budget to reintroduce competitive processors. HOWEVER. WIth the advent of IoT, you may start seeing a diverging market of multiple architectures. Not just x86 but RISC based, mainly the ARM. With ARM's open licensing program it's quite viable to start seeing ALL x86 starting to fade away in favor of ARM.

With todays struggling markets, it will be hard to find an investor with a few billion to begin competing with Intel, AMD definitely could. But by their choice they have chosen to master the low end market and some would argue, the GPU market also.

Innovation is stagnating, or at best crawling. We have even abandoned Moore's Law. Only open x86 Licensing, abandoning x86, reinventing ViA back into the desktop market or lighting a fire under AMD's ass will spurn growth. So for now we will keep seeing 5-10% increases each year in performance....from intel.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#68 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 10:36:52 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I wouldn't ever expect AMD to shut down. It just won't happen. If anything, their company will be restructured or broken apart into sub-companies (Think Google when it turned into Alphabet) and then bought out. We will have to wait and see though until Zen and Polaris goes through. All this speculation could be for nothing as we could see a massive spike in AMD's ability to compete in a changing market like CPUs. If anything is likely, they'd drop their CPU or GPU brand and focus on one thing to compete. Trying to beat out both Nvidia and Intel is extremely hard.
Offline fortunz  
#69 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 1:46:43 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Device Unknown Go to Quoted Post

With todays struggling markets, it will be hard to find an investor with a few billion to begin competing with Intel, AMD definitely could. But by their choice they have chosen to master the low end market and some would argue, the GPU market also.

They didn't choose to have their only market be the budget market, it was just the only place they could compete. They just couldn't keep up with Intel's pace and fell behind technologically.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#70 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 3:31:24 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: fortunz Go to Quoted Post
They didn't choose to have their only market be the budget market, it was just the only place they could compete. They just couldn't keep up with Intel's pace and fell behind technologically.

It wasn't a recent event either, is was way back in the early days of AMD vs. Intel.

Offline tmanvest  
#71 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 9:53:26 PM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

intel did some dirty marketing with p4 series chips which was the beginning of amds issues. then with the ghz war at full swing intel released the first quad core. after that point amd really couldnt compete with the high end market