Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline fortunz  
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 11:12:04 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Just an update.

Originally Posted by: fortunz Go to Quoted Post
One reason I upgraded from my old RAM is that I thought I had a bad stick. I got BSODs for months while trying to track the problem to the OS, drive, graphics drivers and other issues. Then I pulled one stick of RAM as a test, and didn't get another BSOD for months. Problem solved, I thought, despite passing memory scans, that stick must have been bad. I've been hobbling along with half the RAM until I could find a good deal.

So now I get my new memory installed, and boom, a few days later just like it used to happen, BSOD with a familiar irql error. The biggest pain about this issue is I can't just trigger it. After a reboot, it won't reappear for several days, so it's very time consuming to troubleshoot. A few possibilities other than bad RAM:

• My CPU isn't perfectly seated. It seems unlikely, but I've come across a lot of people whose systems were rock solid until they added ram to a particular slot and became stable once more with the same ram in the same slot after they reseated the CPU. The theory being only pins relating to that memory channel weren't making good contact. I don't really want to do this because I'd have to hunt down my thermal grease (I used the thermal pad that came with my processor the first time) and take the time to properly clean everything before reapplying. Fun.

• Dual channel memory won't work, and I need to try single channel

• There's a hardware issue with with the slots in particular. This is troublesome because my motherboard manual specifically recommends these two slots (A2 and B2) for high speed ram, but I've also read some disparaging remarks about the quality of advice in motherboard manuals..

Switching off dual channel is probably the easiest first move.

I tried different slots and using a single channel config, but still got the crashes. Worse yet, the last crash happened at some inopportune moment and it took me most of this weekend to repair the corruption to my boot drive. Sadly, I didn't put scheduled imaging in place after I upgraded to Windows 10, so I'm using my last manual image from a couple of months ago. Let that be a reminder to everyone to keep their backups up to date. Stuff happens.

As long as I was tinkering, I went ahead and reseated the CPU today. It'll take some time to know whether that worked or not, because as I mentioned in the quote above, the problem is hard to trigger. It seems to appear after extended use. I'll just have to wait a week and see if it crashes.

Edited by user Sunday, April 17, 2016 11:12:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline StaticFX  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 1:59:00 AM(UTC)
StaticFX

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
just do a memtest...

also, are you sure the settings are correct in the bios?

Offline fortunz  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 2:40:21 AM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
The RAM is almost certainly fine. I was wrong to even suspect my previous sticks, you can read the quote int he post above yours to find out more, but for now I'm focused on the CPU pins theory, and as I mentioned, it takes a lot of time to test any theory because of the intermittency of the crashes. Only thing I can do is try to keep my PC up and running without a restart for as long as possible to see if another crash happens. Sometimes it's 3 days, some times it's not for 5. If I go a couple of weeks, I'll be pretty confident in my solution.
Offline Lazyguy22  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:25:28 PM(UTC)
Lazyguy22

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There are several components that can cause BSOD and it can be a pain to figure it out. Same thing happened to me a few years back. Talk about angering, turned out to be a failed update patch and had to completely reload windows. Thought it was my ram though.
Offline Ghettochild2600  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:06:45 PM(UTC)
Ghettochild2600

I purchased some for my AMD 5400k budget build because it was the cheapest 8GB I could find with CL9. They run $43 but I got mine for $10 less at the time (=

Klevv Fit 8GB (2x4) CL9

I haven't tried overclocking them or anything. Just the default profile at 1600MHz and I have never had an issue with them and they work great! I would definitely recommend them.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:08:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#21 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2016 6:58:36 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Fortunz, try bios update? Does the PC provide an error message thing?