Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline fortunz  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 7:15:46 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I noticed a deal over at Newegg on 16GB (2x8GB) Klevv Neo, 2400 DDR3 desktop RAM for $59.99 (out of stock now, sorry), and went ahead and grabbed it after a little googling. Klevv appears to be under the same umbrella of companies as SK Hynix and I think they both have bigger presence overseas than in the US, I think Newegg may be the only real distributing partner in the US -- I certainly didn't see this model (KM3N8GX2Y-2400-11-13-13-31-0) at another US retailer. I checked out a professional review at tweaktown (of a different configuration, but same Neo subbrand), and the user reviews at the uk amazon which looked like they were all Vine reviews (which I trust less for multiple reasons), but I rarely buy anything with so little feedback.

Anyway it's too late to cancel my order but it might not be too late to send it back if anyone has bad experiences with the memory. Thanks smile

Offline JJr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:40:43 PM(UTC)
JJr

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
i dont have those rams but i almost bought them before cause i like how the way the rams look lol. Anyway i think they are decent. I would not worry about the quality of product as long as you are still covered with the warranty. It pays to explore too.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:50:37 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JJr Go to Quoted Post
i dont have those rams but i almost bought them before cause i like how the way the rams look lol. Anyway i think they are decent. I would not worry about the quality of product as long as you are still covered with the warranty. It pays to explore too.

Every time you said "rams" I thought STL and football. It doesn't get pluralified, it is many sticks of RAM, or I have some RAM, not RAMS. xD I don't farm mooses or gooses lol

Offline fortunz  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:51:00 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Originally Posted by: JJr Go to Quoted Post

Appearance wasn't my consideration, but I do remember someone else making the same remark, that they looked like something that would go well in a themed build, like their texture made them look stone-like.

Actually I have always wanted to submerge a build in mineral oil for quieter cooling, and most of those builds are done in aquarium tanks. Throw in some fake fish and the stone-esque appearance of the RAM would fit right in.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:05:31 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

If you do a mineral build, do a log/vlog of it :P
Offline fortunz  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:36:54 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
If you do a mineral build, do a log/vlog of it :P

Heh. If I get around to that or anything else on my bucket list, I'll be sure to document it. grin

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:39:58 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: fortunz Go to Quoted Post
Heh. If I get around to that or anything else on my bucket list, I'll be sure to document it. grin

We'd love to have it on the forums.

Offline fortunz  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2016 1:25:41 AM(UTC)
fortunz

Just a little update. I had a few question marks when I ordered this, first, I've never ordered ram whose brand wasn't even on my motherboard's compatibility list. I figured that would be fine, ddr3 is ddr3, right? But I did breathe a little sigh of relief when it booted right up.

The other concern is that this is the first really high speed RAM I've ever had. I've read about XMP and AMP, but have never used them, to wit, I have an AMD processor and this RAM doesn't offer AMP, just XMP. Even so, when I hopped into bios before the first boot, my ASRock motherboard detected the xmp profile and let me select to load it. It didn't look like it was going to load by default, but I suppose it might have.

Upon booting into Windows, the task manager detects RAM running at 2133, the maximum supported by my APU, and everything certainly seems fine. I need to read up and understand the XMP profiles a little more, and figure out if I need to go back into bios and manually tune the timing to whatever would be appropriate for these sticks at 2133 instead of their rated 2400, I also understand that there is a way to get 2400 running with an APU despite the lack of support, and I am at least curious about that.

I think I might run it at 1600 for a while until I learn a little more. Just to be on the safe side.

Edited by user Sunday, April 3, 2016 1:27:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: minor correction

Offline JJr  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2016 4:51:54 AM(UTC)
JJr

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
Every time you said "rams" I thought STL and football. It doesn't get pluralified, it is many sticks of RAM, or I have some RAM, not RAMS. xD I don't farm mooses or gooses lol

grammar nazzzzzi (it gets censored so i had to put more zzz) lol. idk i love calling it rams. it is more bad ass.. it has moree ooomphhh but yeah i know it is silly lol.

Just a little update. I had a few question marks when I ordered this, first, I've never ordered ram whose brand wasn't even on my motherboard's compatibility list. I figured that would be fine, ddr3 is ddr3, right? But I did breathe a little sigh of relief when it booted right up.

The other concern is that this is the first really high speed RAM I've ever had. I've read about XMP and AMP, but have never used them, to wit, I have an AMD processor and this RAM doesn't offer AMP, just XMP. Even so, when I hopped into bios before the first boot, my ASRock motherboard detected the xmp profile and let me select to load it. It didn't look like it was going to load by default, but I suppose it might have.

Upon booting into Windows, the task manager detects RAM running at 2133, the maximum supported by my APU, and everything certainly seems fine. I need to read up and understand the XMP profiles a little more, and figure out if I need to go back into bios and manually tune the timing to whatever would be appropriate for these sticks at 2133 instead of their rated 2400, I also understand that there is a way to get 2400 running with an APU despite the lack of support, and I am at least curious about that.

I think I might run it at 1600 for a while until I learn a little more. Just to be on the safe side.

id check the manufacturer timings and just put it manually in the bios. i would suggest to s[censored]ze more frequency as high as you can get, apus perform better with higher ones.

Edited by user Sunday, April 3, 2016 4:52:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline fortunz  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2016 5:41:22 AM(UTC)
fortunz

That's the plan, but I'm not in a huge hurry.

Someday I even intend to test the performance at each frequency (1600, 1866, 2133, 2400 if I can figure out the last one) on my setup, just as I requested in the HH coverage subforum. I've seen differing results, and I wonder since my 7800 has a lower end gpu than many of the APUs I've seen tested if it might benefit less. Only one way to find out, but since it's time consuming I won't get around to it right away.

Offline fortunz  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:07:08 PM(UTC)
fortunz

One reason I upgraded from my old RAM is that I thought I had a bad stick. I got BSODs for months while trying to track the problem to the OS, drive, graphics drivers and other issues. Then I pulled one stick of RAM as a test, and didn't get another BSOD for months. Problem solved, I thought, despite passing memory scans, that stick must have been bad. I've been hobbling along with half the RAM until I could find a good deal.

So now I get my new memory installed, and boom, a few days later just like it used to happen, BSOD with a familiar irql error. The biggest pain about this issue is I can't just trigger it. After a reboot, it won't reappear for several days, so it's very time consuming to troubleshoot. A few possibilities other than bad RAM:

• My CPU isn't perfectly seated. It seems unlikely, but I've come across a lot of people whose systems were rock solid until they added ram to a particular slot and became stable once more with the same ram in the same slot after they reseated the CPU. The theory being only pins relating to that memory channel weren't making good contact. I don't really want to do this because I'd have to hunt down my thermal grease (I used the thermal pad that came with my processor the first time) and take the time to properly clean everything before reapplying. Fun.

• Dual channel memory won't work, and I need to try single channel

• There's a hardware issue with with the slots in particular. This is troublesome because my motherboard manual specifically recommends these two slots (A2 and B2) for high speed ram, but I've also read some disparaging remarks about the quality of advice in motherboard manuals..

Switching off dual channel is probably the easiest first move.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 12:51:49 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

One reason I upgraded from my old RAM is that I thought I had a bad stick. I got BSODs for months while trying to track the problem to the OS, drive, graphics drivers and other issues. Then I pulled one stick of RAM as a test, and didn't get another BSOD for months. Problem solved, I thought, despite passing memory scans, that stick must have been bad. I've been hobbling along with half the RAM until I could find a good deal.

So now I get my new memory installed, and boom, a few days later just like it used to happen, BSOD with a familiar irql error. The biggest pain about this issue is I can't just trigger it. After a reboot, it won't reappear for several days, so it's very time consuming to troubleshoot. A few possibilities other than bad RAM:

• My CPU isn't perfectly seated. It seems unlikely, but I've come across a lot of people whose systems were rock solid until they added ram to a particular slot and became stable once more with the same ram in the same slot after they reseated the CPU. The theory being only pins relating to that memory channel weren't making good contact. I don't really want to do this because I'd have to hunt down my thermal grease (I used the thermal pad that came with my processor the first time) and take the time to properly clean everything before reapplying. Fun.

• Dual channel memory won't work, and I need to try single channel

• There's a hardware issue with with the slots in particular. This is troublesome because my motherboard manual specifically recommends these two slots (A2 and B2) for high speed ram, but I've also read some disparaging remarks about the quality of advice in motherboard manuals..

Switching off dual channel is probably the easiest first move.

Have you tried googling the specific issue with the specific motherboard of yours? :P

Offline fortunz  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 1:29:43 AM(UTC)
fortunz

That's how I found those solutions, though mostly with related models and even a few of different brands.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 1:52:43 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

That's how I found those solutions, though mostly with related models and even a few of different brands.

Wierd, IDK, can't help you xD

Offline fortunz  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:37:58 AM(UTC)
fortunz

No need. I found those solutions because others posted them elsewhere, so I'm leaving some breadcrumbs for other googlers to find when they have similar problems.