Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tatoosh  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 9:12:42 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I've had two cheap membrane keyboards suck up in the last few. They either quit sending signals for frustratingly long periods of time or they send phantom keys - is that called ghosting or chatter? I thought my Win 7 Pro was going nuts and I would need to re-install it when the scroll wheel started zooming and every click on a link opened a new tab.

But it was my devilish keyboard sending a control key signal perpetually. It would quit for a few when I rebooted. And I rebooted a lot. Until I finally figured out what was going on. So I grabbed a second keyboard - another membrane disaster - and it has started taking siestas of 30 to 45 seconds where it just quits typing. Very frustrating in a game where you need keystrokes to control your ships and such.

So I started looking at keyboards. And the divide was obvious. Membrane vs Mechanical. So was the price point. A bit of research and I was pretty sure I did not want Cherry MX blue - or another maker's equivalent. Way too noisy, I am more a stealth typist.

Logitech looked good but were kind of pricy. However Best Buy was letting older G710+ go for $79 and free shipping (in the States). The reviews looked pretty good and one first time users waxed so eloquent on YouTube, I could not resist. I popped for it. Yes, I'll have to reship to the Philippines. Yes, I looked for something here - but they were almost all overpriced or membrane based. The one G710+ I found was used and they wanted the cost of a new keyboard plus shipping. Just as well get a new one if that is the case. So I did.

What do you guys say about mechanical keyboards and about the Logitech G710+ in particular?

Offline StaticFX  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 11:49:26 PM(UTC)
StaticFX

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I have always used membrane... I bought my son the Razer Black Widow chroma something... that KB clicks.. and clicks.. and clicks.. If I ever get a mech, it will be a silent one!
Offline Tatoosh  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 4:18:39 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

StaticFX, the reviews on the Razer are great, generally. They use a Kalil switch instead of the better known Cherry MX. Razer did make a Stealth version - which simply means no audible feedback on a keypress. I definitely did not want a lot of racket when I type. Which is why I was looking for Cherry MX red or brown switches, not the noisy blue ones. The Kalil switches follow the same color coding I think, but I'm not positive about that.

Anyway,lots of nice features on the Razer keyboard you bought your son, but the drawback is noise and possibly the Kalil switches - which do not have the same reputation as the Cherry MX, but may work out fine indeed. Time will tell.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:38:55 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
This just came out today Tat:
:P You have a knack for asking questions that are answered in videos that come out the day of xD
Offline Tatoosh  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:22:46 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

That was a good review of mechanical keyboards. It did not hit the G710+ with its brown Cherry MX switches, and so forth. And the G710+ is the previous generation or two back of Logitech keyboards, but reviews from 2013 are pretty glowing. Some of the handy aspects are mute and volume controls on the keyboard, a pass through USB connection for ear phones, mouse, or just the occasional flash drive. All at a pretty reasonable price - under $80 before tax and shipping in the USA was free.
Offline Lazyguy22  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2016 1:49:08 AM(UTC)
Lazyguy22

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have the g710 and couldnt have been happier with the choice plus on a deal from frys for under 50. Love the click of the keyboard, its not for eveyone though.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2016 7:01:34 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

A little sated, but here goes:
Offline Tatoosh  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2016 4:00:26 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Yep, yep - that is the review that moved me to buy the sucker! So many positives, not a ton of noise, nice features, volume control, backlit keys, all good things for me and the environment I play in. Good gosh I hope this thing arrives before I leave. I will be packing it back. I had expected to bring my motherboard and 2 hard drives in my luggage, so I could get a case and power supply then resurrect my computer in the States with all my games and such installed. Not gonna happen. Maybe the SDD drive, a single hard drive, and the keyboard will make the trip ... heh heh!
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2016 7:45:49 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
Yep, yep - that is the review that moved me to buy the sucker! So many positives, not a ton of noise, nice features, volume control, backlit keys, all good things for me and the environment I play in. Good gosh I hope this thing arrives before I leave. I will be packing it back. I had expected to bring my motherboard and 2 hard drives in my luggage, so I could get a case and power supply then resurrect my computer in the States with all my games and such installed. Not gonna happen. Maybe the SDD drive, a single hard drive, and the keyboard will make the trip ... heh heh!

Hopefullly the keyboard won't die xD

Offline Tatoosh  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2016 10:00:04 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Roger that, Blackhawk!
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2016 12:58:32 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

BlackHawk over and out.
Offline Tatoosh  
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 5:08:05 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

A couple of quick notes on the Logitech G710+ ... Overall, I like it a lot. It is a high quality keyboard. One thing I had not really caught when I bought it was the weight. It is a heavy sucker! Not a big deal if you use it at a desk. But if you like to get comfy and sometimes move your keyboard to your lap, it is an issue. But not the biggest issue.

The key caps are real source of concern if you move your keyboard. They are loose friction fit into the cherry brown switches. Let me say that again, they are a very LOOSE friction fit into the cherry brown switches. Just hitting one with a fingernail wrong can send it flying. If you should be so foolish as to tilt the keyboard upside down, get ready for an Easter egg hunt! Most will stay, but more than a couple will not. Seven or eight on my board minimum.

The only other letdown is the manual - extremely minimal with a reference to Logitech's website for guides on how to program, put in profiles, do macros, etc etc etc. Go to Logitech's site and finding the actual guides is not as easy as expected.

When you do find support documents on entering macros or profiles, sadly Logitech uses different keyboards to illustrate the procedure. What's with that? They make support documents for the G710+ and then fill them with photos of later keyboards. Bleh, not impressed at all.

So the good? Nice key action. A bit more noisy than I expected, particularly the space bar. It bottoms out and really booms when it does. But very positive action on the key switches. I like cherry switches. I was a parts guy for the Post Office way back and cherry were the switch of preference for high use consoles for mail processing. The G710+ is apparently the last of the Logitech keyboards to use cherry. Logitech switched to a different mechanical switch for subsequent keyboards. I'll stay with the cherry, thank you very much.

The 3 level back lit keys is a useful touch. I'm not a kid and don't need to color co-ordinate my keyboard to my computer's color palette. So white works fine for me. If you are still indulging your inner-child, you may find it a bit pedestrian.

The roller wheel for sound is way cool! I love being able to turn something up or down without mousing around. Or dedicating mouse keys to that task. Great idea and works like a champ.

My wife tried it and demands one for her computer now. So I may give her this one. It depends how many more times I have to get down and hunt a missing key cap. But overall, I like it quite a bit.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 9:18:21 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Glad you like the keyboard. You may end up wanting to look into a doodad like this: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/lapdog for using a keyboard on your lap :P
Offline digitaldd  
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 12:23:30 PM(UTC)
digitaldd

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I have a Steel Series G6v2, only think I dislike about it is where a right-Windows key would be is the special Steel Series key for its built-in multimedia controls. And no way to re-assign that key without a ton of registry editing in Windows.
Offline Tatoosh  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 2:39:51 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Look at the price on those suckers!!! I kind of doubt the G710+ will fit in the compartment as shown. But it does look very handy indeed.

Something on that order would be perfect. I'd want to try it first though. I'm such a klutz and the key caps have got me spooked when it comes to mechanical keyboards now.

My new "plan" is something pretty similar though - nice recliner, 40 inch plus flat screen for monitor, so a lapboard for my keyboard and mouse is what the doctor ordered. I'll have to keep it in mind! Thanks, Blackhawk!

Edited by user Thursday, July 7, 2016 3:02:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified