Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tatoosh  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:07:29 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Hey hey hey! How are my favorite tech edge commandos doing?

I have myself a problemo of sorts. I'm running Windows 7 pro, 64 bit on my old PC. It is a semi-legal copy, installed by a small Filipino computer shop but not totally legit. So I've not updated it at this point. I will convert to a totally legit version in about 2 weeks - as my tax returns arrive.

So given that info - here is the problem: Windows will just shut down and the system reboot. No touching anything. Sometimes I'm typing. Sometimes I'm just sitting on my hands. No, I am not inadvertently caressing the off button with a knobby knee.

I used the restore point to get it to mellow out some, as it was occurring every 5 to 10 minutes for awhile. But it has happened once since I went to a week previous restore point. But only that once, since then it's been nice and stable again though FB games using flash player get hinky occasionally. So is this just a flakey version of Win 7? Would it be more likely a power supply glitch?

As mentioned a long time ago - but real life put my plans on hold - I will get an SSD for my primary drive. I plan to get a Crucial 480 gb BX100 for about 128 dollars US. It is not the hottest of the SSDs but seems reliable enough and within my budget! That last bit endears it to me so very much. I expect the two within 30 days - should that likely fix my phantom restarts? Or should I be staring at something else - processor, ram, exorcism?

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 3:56:11 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Tatoosh, it goes through the "Shutting Down" screen? If so, its Windows or a glitch in the power button along the line. If it hard shuts down, it may be hardware or a crash.I would suggest doing a virus scan, then doing memtest and other tests that specifically test one component.
Offline Tatoosh  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 5:36:02 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Hello Blackhawk -

It just loses power and then starts rebooting - no shutting down screen. Thanks for the advice!

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:38:16 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

It could be a bajillion things then. Try what I said, or maybe it could be this: http://smallbusiness.chr...-enough-power-74039.html I am not sure :P
Offline Tatoosh  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 11:30:09 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Thanks! I did run an anti-virus scan on the whole system which came out clean. It might be power, I have a used power supply - life in a third world country - so I can't discount that. And I do get the odd graphics display after playing awhile - on an FB game at that! But I've written this off to Flash Player which has always been a weak link in Battle Pirates. Maybe yes, maybe no.

I'm thinking back at to the last time it went wonky on me. I said it was after I had done a reset point in Windows. But maybe not. I had to try to reset three times before that actually worked. It may have been the lights out & reboot happened while I was still in that process.

If so, then it sounds like a software glitch because it is steady again after the reset. I don't know how much power HDD's take and I have 2 of them running. I plan to go to 1 SDD (lower power consumption) and 1 HDD in the next few weeks (staring at the IRS expectantly).

What are your recommendations for test programs to check components individually?

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 11:57:09 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Take a look at this, which, uronically, was uploaded today xD
thanks 1 user thanked Blackhawk8100 for this useful post.
Tatoosh on 3/18/2016(UTC)
Offline Tatoosh  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 6:43:46 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Great video and I sure know where that guy is coming from! Just the info I need if this starts acting up again. Thank you very much for the link.