Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tatoosh  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 4:51:52 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

While I do not have a big problem with this due to the elevation I live at, some folks live in the much warmer and salt air laced areas. I'm curious if anyone has approached this problem before?

My idea is a minimum two fan case. One fan will be modified to blow out, pulling air through the case, but not introducing sea air into the case. The second fan will have some sort of housing holding two peltier cooler based dehumidifiers, roughly $50 a pop or a tad less. The air coming off the dehumidifiers will be pulled into the case and then exit via the draw of the second fan.

I don't know if liquid coolant systems chill things down enough to make condensation a problem in a humid area. I am pretty sure a standard fan system found on most PC (CPU/GPU/etc) won't have a condensation problem since they are still well above ambient temperature, but I don't have the science background to prove this.

So the custom part is the apparatus, maybe a coffee can or similar, maybe just dryer hose, whatever will work. to take the dehumidified air and pull it into the PC case without allowing it to mix with sea or room air. Then the simple reversing of the second fan and voila! You have a somewhat humidity resistant system that should help remove both water and salt if you are near the beach.

Anyone see major problems or a better solution?

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 7:11:52 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Could could do an entirely sealed case, and do liquid cooling on the CPU, GPU, RAM and disk drive. No water/salt getting in at all. The thing would be able to go really anywhere. My question is, is a radiator on a liquid cooling loop permeable by salt? What is it made of on top of it?
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 7:12:57 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Also, the water would always be room temperature or higher, so the CPU would always run room temp theoretically.
Offline Tatoosh  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 9:04:05 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

A closed case with liquid cooling? Nice! That shows the lack of experience I have. I figured the liquid coolers were still dropping the heat off somewhere inside the case, but if they have a radiator outside the case then heat can dissipate without worry. Sweet!
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 9:27:34 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
A closed case with liquid cooling? Nice! That shows the lack of experience I have. I figured the liquid coolers were still dropping the heat off somewhere inside the case, but if they have a radiator outside the case then heat can dissipate without worry. Sweet!

Should do some research into it, it would be cool! :P