Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<345
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#61 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:41:29 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: acarzt Go to Quoted Post
You are confusing "Functionality" with "Usage"

It functions. It works.

But usage is limited to what apps are installed.

Aight! :P

Offline Tatoosh  
#62 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:59:51 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

acartz, I did try the safe mode approach and it wouldn't boot to Windows, instead failing and rebooting the bios again and again. I had to prompt my "tech" to try that personally. The upside of the new drive and keeping the old Win 7 pro on the other drive was that the download folder was still available. So the majority of things I wanted to update were there already. That saved me oodles of time.

JJr, you know better than I how systemic the corruption is here. The complacency of the government and major companies dealing with infrastructure is almost a heritage thing, eh? I do not condone the original US colonialism, but dang it, the datus and trapols running the place now are not exactly what most Filipinos had in mind when they fought for their independence, I'm guessing. Forbes and Taft would have had shaken things up and got stuff going with a lot less pocket lining involved.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#63 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:07:21 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I am lost...
Offline Tatoosh  
#64 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:33:18 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

BlackHawk, join the herd! Acartz mentioned he thought he could have gotten Windows 7 up on my new MoBo, if I understood him correctly and mentioned using Safe Mode to do it. We tried that and it did not work. I was replying to his earlier post about that.

JJr was talking about the tangent we took off on - Philippines Internet speed, how he got good numbers, and why it is rare in the Philippines for things to work well. I was replying to that. Forbes and Taft were early Governor Generals of the Philippines under US rule. While there are many criticisms of American colonialism, they did try to improve the lot of Filipino's in general, which included major public works and extensive public education.

But it was far from the original topic and I probably should have replied to JJr privately. Sorry, Blackhawk. I did not mean to add to the daily clutter.

Offline starwhite  
#65 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:29:44 PM(UTC)
starwhite

Man
United States
Location: Rugby ND. WE have a small Ranch house 15 miles outside of town on the open prairie.

You can very reasonably buy an after market chipset cooler to solve this problem. I'm copying n pasting a link from 'Frozen cpu. com just as an example...figure out which chip is overheating via monitoring and replace it with a quality one. http://www.frozencpu.com...et_HeatsinksCoolers.html
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#66 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:43:26 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: starwhite Go to Quoted Post
You can very reasonably buy an after market chipset cooler to solve this problem. I'm copying n pasting a link from 'Frozen cpu. com just as an example...figure out which chip is overheating via monitoring and replace it with a quality one. http://www.frozencpu.com...et_HeatsinksCoolers.html

This really doesn't apply anymore, thank though!

Offline Tatoosh  
#67 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 4:23:01 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

I have never heard of chipset coolers before so thank you for the heads up! Good to know about and someday if I build a super gamer, I may well need them. And they might come in handy for any computer I send to the Philippines low lands area where it is so muggy and hot most of the year. Extra cooling on anything may be a good investment, not to mention the few I scanned at the link were all pretty darn cheap. A whole lot cheaper than another MoBo!
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#68 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 7:49:42 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I never really though about that, Tat. How do you run PCs that aren't in a sealed temp-controlled room like a mainframe room? It is warm everywhere, humid and anything that IS cold forms condensation and can be fried. How do you guys do it? I am at a loss for words and knowledge.
Offline Tatoosh  
#69 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 8:19:38 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Blackhawk, I can't really answer the condensation question. And, to my great good fortune, I hang my hat in the Cordilleras (mountains) of Luzon so at 5000 feet (1500 meters roughly) the weather is just ducky! Cool and breezy, often a tad foggy which is actually clouds pushing through, and just about perfect for me. Last night it was 61 Fahrenheit and the daytime was in the high 70's. Yes, the humidity is usually in the 90's percentile rank and occasionally will plummet all the way to 89% or so. Keeping my machine cool here is about like keeping it cool in Portland Oregon.

Most of the low landers machines are simply surviving the best the best they can in the ambient temperature. Businesses with bucks will air condition their offices and the machines benefit from that. The average Filipino user or Internet Cafe will not have that level of indulgence. I am guessing they keep a lot of fans going in their cases.

A water or liquid cooled machine? Hmm, JJr might know if those show up in the Philippines but I haven't seen anyone talk about doing that approach and if they did, what sort of concerns they would have due to humidity and temp. Good question.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#70 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 8:50:55 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
Blackhawk, I can't really answer the condensation question. And, to my great good fortune, I hang my hat in the Cordilleras (mountains) of Luzon so at 5000 feet (1500 meters roughly) the weather is just ducky! Cool and breezy, often a tad foggy which is actually clouds pushing through, and just about perfect for me. Last night it was 61 Fahrenheit and the daytime was in the high 70's. Yes, the humidity is usually in the 90's percentile rank and occasionally will plummet all the way to 89% or so. Keeping my machine cool here is about like keeping it cool in Portland Oregon.

Most of the low landers machines are simply surviving the best the best they can in the ambient temperature. Businesses with bucks will air condition their offices and the machines benefit from that. The average Filipino user or Internet Cafe will not have that level of indulgence. I am guessing they keep a lot of fans going in their cases.

A water or liquid cooled machine? Hmm, JJr might know if those show up in the Philippines but I haven't seen anyone talk about doing that approach and if they did, what sort of concerns they would have due to humidity and temp. Good question.

It actually sounds quite pretty where you are from, pics?

Offline Tatoosh  
#71 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 5:37:13 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Before I make it sound like paradise on Earth, I should mention we were brown-out today for a few hours and will be black out for most of next Tuesday. The low or no power is a common circumstance here, with both regularly scheduled and surprise events, all of which are called "Brown Outs" in the Philippines. I tried explaining the difference between a brown out and a black out to them, but with 100 million citizens, I was finally forced to accept their definition and worry about keeping my pork belly from going bad while it cured.

Where I live is both wonderful and awful. Terrible pollution in the downtown area due to a massive amount of badly tuned diesel vehicles. And traffic is .. well, not as bad as Manila, but that is like comparing the 8th and 9th rings of Hell, none of them are appealing. Once outside of the main town, it improves drastically. But it is 3rd World with houses nut to butt, big dogs in tiny cages instead of alarm systems (see brown out schedule for why they don't trust alarm systems) and guys peeing on power poles pretty indiscriminately. Toilets do not have seats nor do they usually have toilet paper. You are expected to improvise.

All that said, I love the place, and hate to leave it. If it wasn't for me having a very wonderful wife that deserves a chance to spread her wings and try the States, I'd not leave at all.

I've not a lot of photos so the easiest way to get a feel is simply google images of Baguio City: Baguio City Images

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#72 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 8:07:44 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

That kind of sucks, you will have much more fun in America I think. If you want mountains, try Colorado, you can live in the mountains. :P It is very pretty there, look up some pictures of Colorado, I think you'd like it.
Offline Tatoosh  
#73 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 1:53:20 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

I spent my summers as a kid and teen in Boulder and Longmont area. Very pretty indeed! But the doc says lower elevation is better for me and I've a sister in the upper corner of Washington State that I should spend a bit of time with. So we will start out there, maybe work our way down to Seattle area if jobs are hard to find, and progress from there.

I spent 30 years in Portland Oregon and enjoyed it but looking for something a bit smaller and slower for the transition in the US. I am sure there are many things I will enjoy about being back in the States, but I'll miss the slower pace and general friendliness of the Filipino culture.

As I used to say when I was younger, the universe is in a constant state of flux ... or is that flush? Time to move on.

Edited by user Saturday, November 7, 2015 1:54:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: a paucity of correct conjugation

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#74 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 6:21:36 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
I spent my summers as a kid and teen in Boulder and Longmont area. Very pretty indeed! But the doc says lower elevation is better for me and I've a sister in the upper corner of Washington State that I should spend a bit of time with. So we will start out there, maybe work our way down to Seattle area if jobs are hard to find, and progress from there.

I spent 30 years in Portland Oregon and enjoyed it but looking for something a bit smaller and slower for the transition in the US. I am sure there are many things I will enjoy about being back in the States, but I'll miss the slower pace and general friendliness of the Filipino culture.

As I used to say when I was younger, the universe is in a constant state of flux ... or is that flush? Time to move on.

Maybe Appalachian Mountains region? They are more like big hills, not so high up but just as pretty! :P You will meet plenty of friendly people. Southern states are good for that, Illinois, Kansas, Tennessee, Ohio is great. Just gotta do some looking! :D