Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#46 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:12:44 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
No no, I mean slide down the stairs on your butt xD
Offline Tatoosh  
#47 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:46:00 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

So, no vacuum for the time being. Zeus love dust particles, eh? It really got a good review, but of course the reviewer was paid, I think ... I'm pretty sure that is how stuff for Associated Content works. Anyway, it looked promising but like store bought bacon, doesn't always deliver the quality one expects. So it goes.

The MoBo was far beyond the expertise of the local shop down the road. They also noted that the display dies after starting. We moved on to a used BioStar, which I realize is a very ... hmm ... economical sort of product, but they had it there and it was Socket 775, accepting 4 gig of DDR2 rammy-whammy, and I was content to grab it at 1600 pesos or $35 US roughly. Sadly, of course, my Operating System refused to boot with the new MoBo,so I was sucker punched and forced to grab another HDD to run my newly installed, kinda not legal yet, OS while I wait for the legal key to show up from the States.

I did not want to overwrite/reformat my old HDD and install the OS again over it. I have tons of download crap, well, kilos of it, and I wanted to avoid the tedious hours of pulling the software and so forth down again. Which is working pretty well. Most stuff is re-installing quickly. However, my bloated, Stay-Puff giant of an install for World of Warships. That I have not so much hope for. 20 gigs at 2 megs that are variable at best means hours and hours of download to get the game playable again. Damn and double damn as they used to say!

My 2nd MoBo is still in the USA but will start its way to the Philippines next week. I look forward to putting it in the other computer and having 2 functioning units that, if not current, are slightly less of a boat anchor than they were.

Thank you all for your good advice and thoughtful comments.

Edited by user Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:56:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Proper Paragraphing and Verbosity

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#48 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 1:05:04 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

My wishes are with you....but if your internet sucks that bad, how do you play World of Warships? O.O
Offline Tatoosh  
#49 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 1:30:11 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Poorly, that is how I play, World of Warships, usually with 200 to 300 ms lag and everything on minimum! Now, you have to realize that 2 meg down is like vunderbar for me! For the last 5 years I've been stuck with 512kb down. But the national telephone company had a drive and they let me connect after turning me down for 4 years, once I found out just how bad my overpriced backwater cable connection was. So 512 was simply the best I could get for $50 with basic cable and HBO thrown in. Now for substantially less, I get 2 meg down and find it refreshing. My cable bill dropped to a mere $15 roughly when I managed to unburden myself of their internet.

Better speeds are available, though 5 to 10 is the top numbers I hear mentioned, and they are both more expensive by some and require a much longer commitment. The possibly refreshing typhoon in internet service that is due to arrive as I leave is an Aussie group that want to bring 1st world speeds and at very reasonable prices. They have linked up with a big player - San Miguel Corp, the people that make the ubiquitous national beer. Apparently the brewers also own a few smaller internet providers with appropriate licenses and may make a good team with the Aussies. I hope so. But I doubt that the current primary providers who have managed to guide the Philippines into a neck to neck tie for last place with Afghanistan (or so the rumor goes) will sit idly by, clapping at the foreigner's initiative. Given the amount of corruption here, I suspect that some of the big boys in government will have new Land Rovers and maybe a bakers dozen mistresses after that money starts get thrown around.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#50 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 1:42:27 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Won't you be moving to the US?
Offline Tatoosh  
#51 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:00:25 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Yes, yes, I will. Much like the major drop in the dollar to peso exchange which I apparently caused to plummet by moving to the Philippines, the internet speeds will show a vast improvement by my departure. Long overdue, if they can pull it off, even if I'm not here to enjoy it.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#52 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:14:53 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
Yes, yes, I will. Much like the major drop in the dollar to peso exchange which I apparently caused to plummet by moving to the Philippines, the internet speeds will show a vast improvement by my departure. Long overdue, if they can pull it off, even if I'm not here to enjoy it.

Pretty sure we will still have better internet speeds in the US, you could move to Kansas City to get Google Fiber :P

Offline acarzt  
#53 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:35:40 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)

Sadly, of course, my Operating System refused to boot with the new MoBo,so I was sucker punched and forced to grab another HDD to run my newly installed, kinda not legal yet, OS while I wait for the legal key to show up from the States.

Ouch.... I probably could have got that working for you...

You might have been able to boot into safe mode and get the correct drivers installed to fix the boot.

Or it might have even been a BIOS setting...

Either way... you got it up again, so congrats on that, and get back to gaming!

Offline JJr  
#54 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:07:41 PM(UTC)
JJr

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Poorly, that is how I play, World of Warships, usually with 200 to 300 ms lag and everything on minimum! Now, you have to realize that 2 meg down is like vunderbar for me! For the last 5 years I've been stuck with 512kb down. But the national telephone company had a drive and they let me connect after turning me down for 4 years, once I found out just how bad my overpriced backwater cable connection was. So 512 was simply the best I could get for $50 with basic cable and HBO thrown in. Now for substantially less, I get 2 meg down and find it refreshing. My cable bill dropped to a mere $15 roughly when I managed to unburden myself of their internet.

Better speeds are available, though 5 to 10 is the top numbers I hear mentioned, and they are both more expensive by some and require a much longer commitment. The possibly refreshing typhoon in internet service that is due to arrive as I leave is an Aussie group that want to bring 1st world speeds and at very reasonable prices. They have linked up with a big player - San Miguel Corp, the people that make the ubiquitous national beer. Apparently the brewers also own a few smaller internet providers with appropriate licenses and may make a good team with the Aussies. I hope so. But I doubt that the current primary providers who have managed to guide the Philippines into a neck to neck tie for last place with Afghanistan (or so the rumor goes) will sit idly by, clapping at the foreigner's initiative. Given the amount of corruption here, I suspect that some of the big boys in government will have new Land Rovers and maybe a bakers dozen mistresses after that money starts get thrown around.

the internet there is hopeless. its slow and not the advertised speed. not a place for gaming really. if you have dsl the speeds are still unreliable unless you are in big cities. when i was there i use 4g internet from smart using an unlocked modem that gave me 20-30 mbps solid. some weird going on in the phil, i had an unlimited internet in my phone for a year because i was able to glitch the system and i dont even know how i did it lol. i heard too that telstra is gonna invest in phil with partership to san miguel to be an ISP and thats what the country needs right now. and man, the corruptions, sheesh dont even get me started.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#55 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:14:55 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: acarzt Go to Quoted Post
Ouch.... I probably could have got that working for you...

You might have been able to boot into safe mode and get the correct drivers installed to fix the boot.

Or it might have even been a BIOS setting...

Either way... you got it up again, so congrats on that, and get back to gaming!

He *kind of* got it to work xD

Offline acarzt  
#56 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:34:33 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Working enough to start loading things back on it! Don't rain on his parade!
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#57 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:43:52 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Working enough to start loading things back on it! Don't rain on his parade!

Sort of but the internets is turd-like xD

Offline acarzt  
#58 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:48:52 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
Sort of but the internets is turd-like xD

Internet has nothing to do with the functionality of his computer armscrossed

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#59 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:53:09 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Internet has nothing to do with the functionality of his computer armscrossed

It'll take forever to get back to 100%, because he has to download a ton of stuff xD

Offline acarzt  
#60 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 6:12:05 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

You are confusing "Functionality" with "Usage"

It functions. It works.

But usage is limited to what apps are installed.