Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline tmanvest  
#46 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:55:07 AM(UTC)
tmanvest

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Windows 10 is good. honestly i dont see any issues with a person running 7 as long as they realize that microsoft is going to pull the plug on the free upgrade soon and at a later date the security updates will stop. if you do get 10 make sure you control the settings the defaults are crappy at best.

i have a dell inspiron 530 with a core 2 quad which i had windows 10 running on it and it ran fine. i am not sure about networking which is what i think you would be most worried about and if that is the case check the mobo makers website for network drivers.

i checked both mobos you should be fine with upgrading to windows 10 if you want

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#47 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 2:23:18 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Editors, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
You ought to be able to upgrade to Win10. Your speeds fit the requirements :P
Offline Tatoosh  
#48 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 2:58:50 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Great! Thank you guys. I will probably take one computer straight to Win 10 then and maybe bring the other to Win 7 current - but upgrade to 10 before the offer expires. I know Win 7 Pro is supposed to have support for a few more years, but there is no reason to go through my XP experience again.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#49 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 9:19:02 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Yeah, good choice. Good luck!
Offline Tatoosh  
#50 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 7:52:41 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Well, double darn it! Amazon is having a sale on Crucial SSD and I could have gotten a 480 gig SSD drive for about 12 bucks more than the 250 gig I have already purchased. Oh well, so it goes!

I got my two Windows 7 Pro 64 bit install DVDs and licenses. I decided to upgrade my "not genuine" Windows 7 and wait for the prompt to enter a valid key. Well, you guys are right. The updates for Win 7 are tedious at best. I started at 8:00 p.m. to download them (just shy of a gig's worth) and the whole installation process finished about 5:00 a.m. this morning.

So my "not genuine" Windows 7 pro 64 bit is now updated. And still not genuine. I never got an "enter a valid key" opportunity. I went back to Control Panel, System & Security, System hoping it might ask for it - but no.

I don't want to lose all the games and such that I have on my system now - and be forced to re-install them all if I resort to a full install from the disc. Hmmm. Any ideas?

Edited by user Monday, April 11, 2016 8:02:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#51 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 8:22:33 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I honestly don't know. Contact support? xD
Offline tmanvest  
#52 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 8:36:27 PM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

you may never need to put in a valid cd key cause it might think you system is valid. it wouldnt let you upgrade yo win 10 if you werent genuine. also you would need to put a genuine non upgrade key before upgrading to win 7 pro. you will likely need a full install instead of trying to upgrade. backup all of yoir games on an external. i assume you use steam and the restore your backups when you get your system installed. alternatively backup entire system then restore after install.

Edited by user Monday, April 11, 2016 8:41:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: i left info out

Offline fortunz  
#53 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 9:27:30 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Quote:
So my "not genuine" Windows 7 pro 64 bit is now updated. And still not genuine. I never got an "enter a valid key" opportunity. I went back to Control Panel, System & Security, System hoping it might ask for it - but no.

win7

When you're in the System dialog you don't have a link at the bottom like this image to change the product key?

Offline tmanvest  
#54 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 9:41:56 PM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

if the image say" get genuine windows products"(it will say something like that) then windows thinks you are legit
Offline Tatoosh  
#55 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 9:46:19 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Fortunz: Well, darn it, no! I do not have an image hosting service so I can't show you a screen capture, but similar to yours, a tad bit less ram, an older processor, and no Windows Activation section at all.

tmanvest: I'm pretty sure it does not think it is legit since the desktop has a "this copy of Windows is not genuine" down in the lower right corner.

Edited by user Monday, April 11, 2016 9:48:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: extended my reply

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#56 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 9:56:04 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
Fortunz: Well, darn it, no! I do not have an image hosting service so I can't show you a screen capture, but similar to yours, a tad bit less ram, an older processor, and no Windows Activation section at all.

tmanvest: I'm pretty sure it does not think it is legit since the desktop has a "this copy of Windows is not genuine" down in the lower right corner.

Roundabout way: Press PrntScrn on the keyboard with the window in the screenshot above open. Open MSPaint and hit CNTRL+V, save as PNG. Upload to Twitter or Facebook. Right click the image in the social media and copy image address. Come back here, go into the full reply box and click the little image. A dialogue will popup asking for image URL. Enter it and you ought to have a pic on HH now! :D

Offline fortunz  
#57 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 10:24:58 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post

Oh, that's just a screenshot from google images, not my computer. I don't have 7 running on anything anymore, so I couldn't check on my own system, plus I'm more of an AMD guy.

Not sure what else to suggest.

Offline Tatoosh  
#58 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 10:31:03 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

[img=UserPostedImage]Win 7 Pro - not so genuine ...[/img]

Screen capture I have - it was the hosting thing - did not think about social media - but I'm old, very, very old. sleepy

Offline tmanvest  
#59 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 10:43:19 PM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

there is an app called lightscreen that will post your screencap on a url.
Offline Tatoosh  
#60 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 10:50:04 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

I think I had them for awhile and I really liked them, if they are the same outfit. My problem with them was due to the game World of Warships. Somehow their app and the game did not get along at all. Every time I tried to do a screen cap in the game - everything went very wonky and no screen grab to show for it. So I shifted to a different outfit. Nice enough but not nearly so useful.