Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tatoosh  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 4:55:08 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Spending time here has been pretty informative. The Power Supply info has helped me form better parameters for my current system upgrade. I'm pretty sure I have a "true rated" 550 watt supply right now and that will be the limiting factor for my Graphic Card upgrade - looking at getting one off of eBay at some point. While other cards mentioned looked so appealing, once I started looking at the power requirements I realized I needed to scale back. At least for this specific computer and moment.

So I've pretty well settled on the GeForce 660 or the ti version, which is a factory overclock. I don't know there is much difference between the two so I'll probably be guided by the cheapest reliable-looking provider I find. But I noticed the Radeon HD 7870 is almost identical in performance. If I run into a good buy on it, is there any serious downside with the AMD graphics cards?

I am looking at primarily on-line games - World of Warship so I can get the settings off minimum. I do not expect to get anywhere near maximum. I'd like to be in the 30 FPS or better range.

My system: System Specs:

Okay, maybe the 660 ti is a bit better -

GeForce GTX 660 vis GTX 660 ti: Comparing 660 vs 660 ti

Edited by user Saturday, October 24, 2015 6:19:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: updated 660 info

Offline Tatoosh  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 6:52:06 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

And just for the sake of completeness .. the 660 ti vs the HD 7870 GPU. From the comparison, it looks like the 660 ti wins on the gaming front which is what is driving the upgrade. They are pretty close otherwise, so I'd feel comfortable buying whichever had the better deal.

The 660 ti vs HD 7870: GPU Comparison

Edited by user Saturday, October 24, 2015 6:53:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 10:16:32 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
Spending time here has been pretty informative. The Power Supply info has helped me form better parameters for my current system upgrade. I'm pretty sure I have a "true rated" 550 watt supply right now and that will be the limiting factor for my Graphic Card upgrade - looking at getting one off of eBay at some point. While other cards mentioned looked so appealing, once I started looking at the power requirements I realized I needed to scale back. At least for this specific computer and moment.

So I've pretty well settled on the GeForce 660 or the ti version, which is a factory overclock. I don't know there is much difference between the two so I'll probably be guided by the cheapest reliable-looking provider I find. But I noticed the Radeon HD 7870 is almost identical in performance. If I run into a good buy on it, is there any serious downside with the AMD graphics cards?

I am looking at primarily on-line games - World of Warship so I can get the settings off minimum. I do not expect to get anywhere near maximum. I'd like to be in the 30 FPS or better range.

My system: System Specs:

Okay, maybe the 660 ti is a bit better -

GeForce GTX 660 vis GTX 660 ti: Comparing 660 vs 660 ti

DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY. You will have no idea where the GPU came from. It could have come from a mining rig and be decrepit already. If you want to buy used, may I suggest Craigslist or maybe a site like Linus Tech Tips has where people sell things. HH also has a forum area where you can sell stuff: http://hothardware.com/f...opics/13-For-Sale?trade=

Offline JJr  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 10:41:58 AM(UTC)
JJr

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
@Tatoosh, are you still in the Phil? What is your budget? dont rush buying the card yet. youll get alot of good deals when it comes to older gen cards. you might be able to buy a higher card for the price of a used 660 ti.
Offline Tatoosh  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 10:48:25 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Blackhawk, I've had fair luck with eBay, but its not perfect, for sure. Craigslist is out since I'm in the Philippines and CL ordinarily requires some sort of face to face transaction. The most recent post on the HH forum trading area seems like a few months old and the others go back years. I'll take a look over at Linus Tech Tips, but I fear eBay is the easy sleazy solution since I can PayPal there, they ship to my transhipper that then reliably drops it at my doorstep in the Philippines.

Generally, I use number of sales the seller has made, any description that gives me a sense of the items previous use. The latter being easy to manipulate, I understand, but a good percentage of high feedback with a fair number of transactions gives me some reassurance.

What is your take on the AMD vs Nvidea cards? I'm tipping for the GTX 660 ti for my little uber cheap gamer.

Offline Tatoosh  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 10:54:21 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

JJr, there is no rush. Wife's visa application is next month and after that I count pennies and see if I can promote the GPU. If not the card, then I'll pop for the SSD drive and get a bit faster, more reliable system.

I'm looking at the card in the $100 range give or take ten bucks, then shipping to the Philippines is $8 to $16. Same for the SSD except I can grab a Crucial 256 gig SSD for around $80 and free shipping in the USA. I am guessing it will be $8 to ship to my doorstep here.

I can live without the card until after the New Year if necessary. It would be nice to have it a bit sooner, but patience is a virtue.

We will be here in the beautiful mountains of the Cordilleras until mid year 2016 is my guess. Her visa, part out some stuff here, ship some stuff there, and then the big plane ride. No firm date but getting closer.

Edited by user Saturday, October 24, 2015 11:03:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: update info

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 11:39:18 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Blackhawk, I've had fair luck with eBay, but its not perfect, for sure. Craigslist is out since I'm in the Philippines and CL ordinarily requires some sort of face to face transaction. The most recent post on the HH forum trading area seems like a few months old and the others go back years. I'll take a look over at Linus Tech Tips, but I fear eBay is the easy sleazy solution since I can PayPal there, they ship to my transhipper that then reliably drops it at my doorstep in the Philippines.

Generally, I use number of sales the seller has made, any description that gives me a sense of the items previous use. The latter being easy to manipulate, I understand, but a good percentage of high feedback with a fair number of transactions gives me some reassurance.

What is your take on the AMD vs Nvidea cards? I'm tipping for the GTX 660 ti for my little uber cheap gamer.

My take is if you want to save pennies, go with AMD for gaming ONLY, if you want to do other stuff, for a little ore money, go with NVidia. I like them better. It depends on what you intend to do with your rig ;D

Offline Tatoosh  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 3:49:59 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Saving pennies is a very important aspect of my purchase, but getting value for those pennies spent is too. When I tried higher end cards in the power calculator, I started edging up to or past the safety zone in terms of my power supply. So looking at what stayed safely, the 660 ti and HD 7870 were neck and neck.

Comparing them at GPUBoss showed the 660 ti to have a better PFS rate across a number of games. Sometimes it was only 5 FPS difference, so pretty negligible. But on some games it was up to 20 FPS which might be noticeable? The only serious graphics crunching I do is gaming. My wife likes to work over photos before posting to FB but she does most of that on her iPhone and I've promised her a Macbook once we are settled in the States, So even if I drag this GPU back to the States with me, it won't get much of a work out there.

I've not followed the eBay auctions to their finish, but the two cards seem darn close in price to start with AMD maybe a smidge cheaper. But not enough to sway me unless there was a significant factor in favor of AMD besides a saw buck*.

*saw buck = $5

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 11:05:51 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Saving pennies is a very important aspect of my purchase, but getting value for those pennies spent is too. When I tried higher end cards in the power calculator, I started edging up to or past the safety zone in terms of my power supply. So looking at what stayed safely, the 660 ti and HD 7870 were neck and neck.

Comparing them at GPUBoss showed the 660 ti to have a better PFS rate across a number of games. Sometimes it was only 5 FPS difference, so pretty negligible. But on some games it was up to 20 FPS which might be noticeable? The only serious graphics crunching I do is gaming. My wife likes to work over photos before posting to FB but she does most of that on her iPhone and I've promised her a Macbook once we are settled in the States, So even if I drag this GPU back to the States with me, it won't get much of a work out there.

I've not followed the eBay auctions to their finish, but the two cards seem darn close in price to start with AMD maybe a smidge cheaper. But not enough to sway me unless there was a significant factor in favor of AMD besides a saw buck*.

*saw buck = $5

The difference is minute, yes, but you have to pick one, go with NVidia :P

thanks 1 user thanked Blackhawk8100 for this useful post.
Tatoosh on 10/25/2015(UTC)
Offline acarzt  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 2:02:27 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
AMD GPUs tend to have micro-stutter issues.

Nvidia All the way!

Between the 660 and 660ti, the ti is by far better!

If you can wait until Nvidia launches their new GPUs, you might be able to snag a GTX 770 at a steal...

Offline Tatoosh  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 4:08:47 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Well, a paucity of pennies teaches the virtue of patience so I may well be able wait long enough to snag a GTX 770. The problem with the GTX 770 is that it ups the PSU requirement. So even it becomes "snag-able" it would entail the hunt for a better power supply which I'm trying to avoid. I think that I will have to look at the GTX 770 as something I might be able to grab for my first "cheap/er/ish desktop" in States while we are settling in and getting restarted. That is if I don't drag the 660 ti along with me. I'll just have to see how that sorts when we are up to and touching the departure date.

But thank you very much for thinking of me and letting me know about the possibility. I am dialing up the 660 ti vs 770 over at the GPU Boss website and it definitely is the better card with a good improvement in FPS on most of their test games. Prices on used ones seem a good bite above the 660 ti but, as you say, that should drop with another release of GPU cards. I guess it will like depend on the improvement I see in my World of Warships graphics with the 660 ti. If it remains marginal, I foresee the card remaining in the Philippines and the 770 being the object of my desire when I reach the States. But if I'm pretty pleased with the 660 ti's improvement in the game, I may just take it along and use it in the States, skipping to a higher card when I can build the "much improved" gaming system.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 4:31:20 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Any Nvidia card with Ti on the end is usually better than the last iteration/generation.
Offline JJr  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 7:46:12 PM(UTC)
JJr

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
gpu boss is theoretical in terms of comparing gpus. id suggest looking for the benchmarks instead would help you alot better with your choices. Pascal gpus are coming soon damn..
Offline Tatoosh  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 6:58:10 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

JJr, thanks for that input. I looked at their "about" page and they really don't talk about how or where they "gather" their data. I am sure some of it is simply repeating the manufacturer's published stats. I did look at the benchmarks when evaluating the various graphic cards, that is where the FPS rates for various games (Crysis and Far Cry 3 for example) are compared. But it doesn't say that they actually ran real tests, so where those published rates are derived, I have no idea. And just how I should view those FPS rates compared to my World of Warships that I play now, I am clueless. I also hope to get BioShock Infinite down the road since Played BioShock 1 & 2 on my old PS3 prior to its demise.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 7:56:19 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Youtube has some pretty good info on this sort of thing, like LinusTechTips:
or other videos. Do some searching on his channels :P