Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sainbo  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 2:06:56 PM(UTC)
Sainbo

Groups: Registered

I have a dell that I would like to upgrade the psu. Currently it has a 460w psu. I think maybe I would like to go to a gold or bronze high quality psu somewhere between 500-750? I don't want to spend over 100.00. I am thinking antec or corsair or seasonic but dont know which one to get. Any suggestions>

Offline acarzt  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 3:15:19 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sainbo Go to Quoted Post
I have a dell that I would like to upgrade the psu. Currently it has a 460w psu. I think maybe I would like to go to a gold or bronze high quality psu somewhere between 500-750? I don't want to spend over 100.00. I am thinking antec or corsair or seasonic but dont know which one to get. Any suggestions>

What is the model you have?

Some Dell desktops used power supplies with proprietary pin outs and if you try to use an of the shelf power supply, you would fry your MB.

So before I recommend you a PSU that is going to destroy your computer... let me first do some research on your specific model to make sure you are going to be ok.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 4:35:22 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sainbo Go to Quoted Post

I found this : http://en.community.dell...esktop/f/3514/t/19522859 It could be of use to you.

Offline acarzt  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 5:08:36 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Man how did I miss the model up there lol.

Yea it looks like you'll be fine getting a 3rd party PSU. The case has some metal pieces that will prevent you from installing certain size PSUs though. So you will need to stick with 5.9" length.

I always buy Corsair brand power supplies.

So, if the goal is simply, replace the current PSU and maintain the same functionality, while keeping prices down and reliability up... I would recommend this PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Pr...spx?Item=N82E16817139027

If you are also planning to add a new video card or anything else, I will need those specs before offering a new suggestion.

thanks 1 user thanked acarzt for this useful post.
Sainbo on 10/24/2015(UTC)