Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline augiearvizo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 8:38:50 PM(UTC)
augiearvizo

Groups: Registered

I was wondering if I build a machine with the main activity video editing/encoding, photo editing with some gaming but not the primary function of the build which video cards and software are optimized for editing?

I'm also curious which route as a consensus is better to spend the money on, newer CPU but lower tier GPU-just curious if the latest generation of processors have instruction sets that major video editing software take advantage of that an older processor would not have. Or going the route of getting video card with as many CUDA cores that I can afford and that will reduce encoding/processing time for those kinds of applications.

Augustin

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 10:21:32 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Well, I can go a little in depth:

For a CPU, you can go with either an i5 or an i7, I'd recommend the i7, but aforementioned is that the fact of the i5 can handle good loads but not as speedy as an i7 can (Not a huge difference, unless you are impatient). Normally, I'd go with an older CPU, Haswell line may I suggest?

GPU- You probably want to go with a NVidia card. Maybe this one? http://www.newegg.com/Pr...spx?Item=N82E16814487088 It seems it could meet your needs in gaming and editing. This would work well, but you may want to do your own research into NVidia to find the perfect one for you.

For Software, you may want to go with various Adobe products(Adobe Premiere per se). They are widely used and pretty good with Intel. It is what I'd recommend.

I would still say do your own research and draw your own conclusions, more fun that way. Are you building the machine by the way?

thanks 1 user thanked Blackhawk8100 for this useful post.
augiearvizo on 10/22/2015(UTC)
Offline augiearvizo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 10:31:34 PM(UTC)
augiearvizo

Thanks for the response. I haven't decided if I should build it or if buying a machine that includes components that would meet my needs would be a better value overall.

I would like to get into YouTube Vlogging and reviewing but need a more powerful machine. But if I don't get that into it I guess I would still have a machine that I could do some gaming and regular computing.

Offline JJr  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 1:23:59 AM(UTC)
JJr

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
there are many video editing software out there with different characteristics. i suggest you browse through them and see what works for you. generally you would want a good fast processor with multiple threads or cores like an i7, unlocked would be good so you can overclock it pair it with 16 gb of ram. When it comes to gpu i suggest you read this, this will help you on whats best to choose between amd and nvidia.https://create.pro/blog/open-cl-vs-cuda-amd-vs-nvidia-better-application-support-gpgpugpu-acceleration-real-world-face/
thanks 1 user thanked JJr for this useful post.
augiearvizo on 10/23/2015(UTC)
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 7:42:18 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: JJr Go to Quoted Post
there are many video editing software out there with different characteristics. i suggest you browse through them and see what works for you. generally you would want a good fast processor with multiple threads or cores like an i7, unlocked would be good so you can overclock it pair it with 16 gb of ram. When it comes to gpu i suggest you read this, this will help you on whats best to choose between amd and nvidia.https://create.pro/blog/open-cl-vs-cuda-amd-vs-nvidia-better-application-support-gpgpugpu-acceleration-real-world-face/

Well, if he is gonna do some editing and gaming, probably want to go with NVidia, better for it :P

thanks 1 user thanked Blackhawk8100 for this useful post.
augiearvizo on 10/23/2015(UTC)
Offline JJr  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 9:49:31 AM(UTC)
JJr

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
with opencl in rendering id go amd, and if gaming id go nvidia personally especially in dx 11 games.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 10:57:16 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Well, if he uses Adobe Premiere, then NVidia is good. I lost interest for AMD, so I may be a little biased, but still...
Offline acarzt  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 12:06:16 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
What KIND of video editing are you wanting to do?

Are you adding effects of any sort?

How much time do you intend to spend on video editing?

How serious are you about video editing? Hobby? Career?

How much time do you intend to spend gaming?

Which is more important to you?

Most importantly, what is your budget?

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 12:09:52 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Well, I just assumed the general editing. I don't suppose he'll be doing posr-production on a multimillion dollar movie. If he was, he wouldn't be here! I am guessing it will be editing for YouTube and other various video dispersal sites like YouTube. Maybe average work and such. So, go off that :D
Offline acarzt  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 2:29:39 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
Well, I just assumed the general editing. I don't suppose he'll be doing posr-production on a multimillion dollar movie. If he was, he wouldn't be here! I am guessing it will be editing for YouTube and other various video dispersal sites like YouTube. Maybe average work and such. So, go off that :D

You shouldn't make those assumptions. Perhaps he wants to make a career out of this. Everyone has to start somewhere. But the questions i've asked will determine what kind of setup he is going to need.

Even if he is just going to make youtube videos, maybe he wants to add all kinds of awesome special effects to his video?

Maybe he need to be able to pump out a ton of content in short periods of time to keep his youtube channel relevant and beat his competition to press? These are the kinds of things that will determine if I recommend a consumer class Core i5 or a much more powerful Xeon processor. And then there is always the factor of his budget. Plus the software he intends to use... there is some software that takes advantage of Cuda, in which case I would recommend he spend his money more on the GPU vs the CPU.

When working a project, you must first define the scope :-)

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 4:42:01 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: acarzt Go to Quoted Post
You shouldn't make those assumptions. Perhaps he wants to make a career out of this. Everyone has to start somewhere. But the questions i've asked will determine what kind of setup he is going to need.

Even if he is just going to make youtube videos, maybe he wants to add all kinds of awesome special effects to his video?

Maybe he need to be able to pump out a ton of content in short periods of time to keep his youtube channel relevant and beat his competition to press? These are the kinds of things that will determine if I recommend a consumer class Core i5 or a much more powerful Xeon processor. And then there is always the factor of his budget. Plus the software he intends to use... there is some software that takes advantage of Cuda, in which case I would recommend he spend his money more on the GPU vs the CPU.

When working a project, you must first define the scope :-)

*cough cough* Earlier Post "I would like to get into YouTube Vlogging and reviewing but need a more powerful machine. But if I don't get that into it I guess I would still have a machine that I could do some gaming and regular computing." *cough cough*

Offline acarzt  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 5:16:22 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Again... all of my questions are still valid... "vlogging" is still a very general statement and does not define the scope of work. We still don't know how high of a production value he intends to have :-)

We need more feedback to make a useful recommendation.

I could take the limited information provided and spec out some $10,000 beast of a machine that will accomplish his goal, or I could spec out an entry level $500 PC that would still accomplish his goal as outlined in the first post... but to narrow down the scope and getting a better understand of his needs, we need to ask questions first.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 12:11:37 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Again... all of my questions are still valid... "vlogging" is still a very general statement and does not define the scope of work. We still don't know how high of a production value he intends to have :-)

We need more feedback to make a useful recommendation.

I could take the limited information provided and spec out some $10,000 beast of a machine that will accomplish his goal, or I could spec out an entry level $500 PC that would still accomplish his goal as outlined in the first post... but to narrow down the scope and getting a better understand of his needs, we need to ask questions first.

I am assuming it won't be too intensive, but anyways,you could start at a low end, and work up in increments! Give every possible option up to 10k by doubling the PC price every time by starting at $500 :D

Offline acarzt  
#14 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 3:12:55 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

:-|

That would take forever... I spend hours on a single build with a known budget. It would take me weeks to come up with that many builds :-|

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#15 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 8:27:01 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

:-|

That would take forever... I spend hours on a single build with a known budget. It would take me weeks to come up with that many builds :-|

Idk, go with like 1500, 1500 is always a good number :P