Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tatoosh  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 2:02:48 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Last month I upgraded an old computer some. It had a fairly new China-made no-name power supply, roughly 450 watts, as I remember. My ASUS motherboard, the 350 gig hard drive, and a cheap 1 meg graphics card shouldn't have needed more. But it did. It runs along fine for about a week. Then as I was playing deep into the night, a big boom, bright flash, and huge stink roared out of the computer as it went dead. Very dead. I thought it was utterly mulched.

Luckily, down to the shop and the weak kneed juice jokey was detected. No damage to the momma board.or any of the other bits. So I bought what in the Philippines is called a "true rated" used PSU instead of a slightly cheaper, "unrated?" new unit. As I have deep yearnings to put an even greater strain on the system at some point by going for a 2 mb GPU so I can actually set my games to something besides minimal graphics, I wonder if I'm gong to get another boom in the night?

Anyone know of a good site that I can fill in the boxes for my Motherboard, Processor, drives and such and get a specific "safe" range for my PSU selection?

Offline acarzt  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:49:02 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Check this tool out:

http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/PSUEngine2

It will recommend the minimum requirements. I would add an extra 50%

So if it suggest 400 watts, I would go with a 600 watt or higher.

You don't want TOO big of a power supply, and you don't want TOO small. If it's too big, it will work inefficiently. If it's too small, it will be overworked and wont last long.

I only buy Corsair power supplies these days.

thanks 1 user thanked acarzt for this useful post.
Tatoosh on 10/22/2015(UTC)
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 4:33:11 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Editors, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
Last month I upgraded an old computer some. It had a fairly new China-made no-name power supply, roughly 450 watts, as I remember. My ASUS motherboard, the 350 gig hard drive, and a cheap 1 meg graphics card shouldn't have needed more. But it did. It runs along fine for about a week. Then as I was playing deep into the night, a big boom, bright flash, and huge stink roared out of the computer as it went dead. Very dead. I thought it was utterly mulched.

Luckily, down to the shop and the weak kneed juice jokey was detected. No damage to the momma board.or any of the other bits. So I bought what in the Philippines is called a "true rated" used PSU instead of a slightly cheaper, "unrated?" new unit. As I have deep yearnings to put an even greater strain on the system at some point by going for a 2 mb GPU so I can actually set my games to something besides minimal graphics, I wonder if I'm gong to get another boom in the night?

Anyone know of a good site that I can fill in the boxes for my Motherboard, Processor, drives and such and get a specific "safe" range for my PSU selection?

You kind of set yourself up for this one I think. You never want to cheap out on a PSU, as it is a crucial part in the PC. You always need to go with a name brand PSU. Corsair is a good name :P

Offline StaticFX  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 4:43:40 PM(UTC)
StaticFX

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
it can NEVER hurt to have too much power.. better to have extra, then not enough. I always say to NEVER cheap out on a PSU. its the MOST important part in the pc
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 4:56:13 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: StaticFX Go to Quoted Post
it can NEVER hurt to have too much power.. better to have extra, then not enough. I always say to NEVER cheap out on a PSU. its the MOST important part in the pc

Buh...buh...I said that D:

Offline acarzt  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 5:57:00 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

You CAN have too much power supply... But it's not going to hurt you computer, it will hurt you wallet.

I urge you all to read the following article and the links within.

http://www.tested.com/te...plyhow-much-is-too-much/

And from our very own Marco Chiappetta, who is an expert on the subject...

http://www.pcworld.com/a...est-pc-power-supply.html

thanks 1 user thanked acarzt for this useful post.
Offline JJr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 8:28:02 PM(UTC)
JJr

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

hi mate! welcome back! good to know you made it through the storm. what Philippine rated psu did you buy? Powerlogic brand perhaps?. Cougar, Corsair, Silverstone, Antec seems to be popular there. I had FSP and Antec power supplies. both are reliable but i always buy the rated ones. Like what the all the smart gentlemen said above, it is a good investment to spend on good rated psu to have a stable running pc.

thanks 1 user thanked JJr for this useful post.
Offline Tatoosh  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 9:33:43 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

acarzt - Thank you! That is exactly the sort of site I had in mind. I plugged in my updated build and the power supply I had should have been more than sufficient. So it really lays at the feet of "sketchy China built" which is pretty much the standard for consumers here in the Philippines where price point is the single consideration in 99% of the transactions. You noticed, I'm sure, that my choices were "true rated" used -which I take to mean better quality,used or the cheaper new power supply. There is no "better quality, new" option at many stores. LOL!

And I've bookmarked the link to the article on selecting the best power supply you mentioned in the post above.

Blackhawk - You are right, I went with the flow on this one. I had burnt out the previous power supply but it went into the darkness with a whimper, not a bang, so I did not really catch on there was a problem. And I've never been one to choose the lowest rated (in wattage) power supply, even if I wasn't a gamer or heavy user, back then.

I'm a tad concerned with the future though. I plan two upgrades on this old system to see me through the next few months. The SSD hard drive for the operating system and a 2 meg GTX 660 ti graphics card so I can really enjoy watching my ships getting sunk in World of Warships. The SSD drive will travel with me back to the States, but the rest of the system will likely go to an in-law who will be attending college here in the wonderful but somewhat soggy Philippines.

Getting my hands on a decent power supply in the USA is not hard, but the cost of getting that puppy across the frothy blue waves of the Pacific Ocean is a bit of a challenge in terms of economy. Lighter stuff can be shipped air for not too much money. I expect the shipping on the GPU to cost me around $15 to $18 or so delivered to my doorstep. But the heavier PSU will jump a bunch. There is another option for shipping but while it is relatively cheap, it slow and it works when you ship a full box of stuff, not a single item.

My upcoming configuration says 384 watts minimum - I think my current PSU is 500watt or 550 watt. I'll have to crack the box and check. but it "should" be good. Fingers crossed and all that.

Offline Tatoosh  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 9:41:39 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Hey there JJr! The shop I went to for the upgrade did not have better quality PSU's to select from. I will hunt around some if the one I have doesn't look like it will meet the needs of my next upgrade. We made it through just fine, though there was a fair amount of mopping involved. Just shy of 5 days without power at my place. The folks who were near its landfall did not fair nearly as well, I fear. Still it was strong enough here to rip the roof off the major mall, a beautiful, tent-like affair, that was unique. So our main source of higher end components is temporarily closed but I'm sure will be back in plenty of time for my next round of computer upgrades.

I'll use your reference in terms of brand names. Thank you for that very much.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 10:00:36 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Hey there JJr! The shop I went to for the upgrade did not have better quality PSU's to select from. I will hunt around some if the one I have doesn't look like it will meet the needs of my next upgrade. We made it through just fine, though there was a fair amount of mopping involved. Just shy of 5 days without power at my place. The folks who were near its landfall did not fair nearly as well, I fear. Still it was strong enough here to rip the roof off the major mall, a beautiful, tent-like affair, that was unique. So our main source of higher end components is temporarily closed but I'm sure will be back in plenty of time for my next round of computer upgrades.

I'll use your reference in terms of brand names. Thank you for that very much.

Can you shop online and have things imported? :P

Offline Tatoosh  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 10:16:06 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Blackhawk, yes I can. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, the cost of shipping skyrockets with the weight. A motherboard is not too bad though the size and shape can add some extra charges at shipping time. A GPU is no biggie at all. Cheap, in fact. But power supplies? Eek! Heavy. Not big, but the dang things are bricks!

Now I'm learning about not only ratings and 80 bronze, but rails. If it is gonna go all 4th of July on me, I want to try and save what I can - so a multi-rail power supply looks to be the answer, if I need to promote another one.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 10:32:11 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Blackhawk, yes I can. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, the cost of shipping skyrockets with the weight. A motherboard is not too bad though the size and shape can add some extra charges at shipping time. A GPU is no biggie at all. Cheap, in fact. But power supplies? Eek! Heavy. Not big, but the dang things are bricks!

Now I'm learning about not only ratings and 80 bronze, but rails. If it is gonna go all 4th of July on me, I want to try and save what I can - so a multi-rail power supply looks to be the answer, if I need to promote another one.

You have a very valid point. But like we said, don't cheap out. Get the best bang for your buck (No pun intended :D), but get something that won't screw you over down the road. As we said earlier, Corsair is a good name if you can buy from them.

Offline Tatoosh  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 11:10:27 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

The Corsair CS750 looks sweet for the price. Not sure it is multi-rail but it seems to have a number of safety features built in. While I may not be able to avail myself of one currently, when I return to the USA and build my budget net cruiser and light gamer system, I will definitely keep the Corsair brand in mind! Thanks for the pointers, everyone.
Offline acarzt  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 11:48:49 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Glad to know I could help and someone actually reads my long posts lol

Dont focus too much on rails, people debate all the time which is better lol just keep in mind, if do go multi rail, you are gonna need a beefier psu, and you need to make sure the gpu is on it's own rail. If you load it up to much you'll start pulling more amps than the rail can support and pc will trybto power up but shut off immediately, leaving you scratching your head wondering what happened lol

Offline JJr  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 1:02:30 AM(UTC)
JJr

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
some psu myths i have read before . i thought id share.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/PSU/