Tatoosh
  •  Tatoosh
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Member Topic Starter
2015-10-17T16:33:04Z
Since I grabbed LastPass and I've been letting it create passwords, I realized that if I go out and want to access some websites, I'll be a screwed little puppy. I have no way of remembering those complex "generated" passwords. So it seemed like hooking a USB to my house keys, setting it up with its own browser and using that if I need to connect at a friends house or at an internet cafe here in the Philippines.

Of course, I'm a bit mortified of getting a virus (or 20) on my USB by allowing to penetrate some desktop of ill repute. But I read that if I remove the auto-start function, the odds of an infection for my USB drops off to almost negligible. Is that true?

I'm thinking of a 16 gig USB, so any recommendations about what browser to install, anything else to park on it, and anything to be sure to remove so it stays safe?

Thanks!

Blackhawk8100
2015-10-17T16:47:53Z
May just want Antivirus, Chrome, and maybe some other programs you like. The thing though about having all your passwords in a USB is that if you lose it, all your accounts are compromised. You may just want to use Google Chrome's password storage. You sign into chrome using a google account, and then save passwords to it, and when you log out, all the passwords log out with you. I would trust that more than I would what you plan to do. I guess it boils down to personal opinion and what you feel comfortable doing. If you want to risk losing all your passwords, I can't stop you(I sound like a mom here). If it were me, I wouldn't use a USB, I'd use maybe a mobile device's storage. Put it all on a micro-SD card(under pictures maybe? This would be after your phone formats the SD Card of course), pop it in your phone(so you can use it as regular phone storage too), and bring the USB-to-microUSB phone charger cable everywhere with you. When you want to use the passwords, plug the USB phone cable into your phone and the PC, then open up the pictures file folder and access the passwords and such. I presume you won't lose your phone, nobody does as it is at everyone's hip at all times of the day, kind of hard to lose unless you are scatter-brained. Just my idea! Let me know what YOU think 😛
Tatoosh
  •  Tatoosh
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Member Topic Starter
2015-10-17T17:21:15Z
Thanks! I will have to think about your system. It shows some real promise. Now, for the LastPass - I don't actually have my passwords on my USB. I would use the browser on the USB to connect to LastPass and their secure connection provides passwords to sites I'm already a member of. The only password I need is the master password to log in at LastPass. So if my USB went walking, it would not contain any actual passwords.

I'm more concerned, if I use the USB, that I can preclude the USB getting any virii on it. I read a few different websites that offered some various tactics, but all seemed to agree that the autoplay feature was the big vulnerability and had to be removed.

Blackhawk8100
2015-10-17T20:55:59Z
USB just doesn't seem safe, as they generally don't have antivirus programs on them, which would be another expense. Kinda up to you though! 😃
JJr
  •  JJr
  • 100% (Exalted)
2015-10-18T03:21:58Z
you should not use that usb in computers in internet cafes without an antivirus too.
Blackhawk8100
2015-10-18T04:18:17Z
Originally Posted by: JJr 

you should not use that usb in computers in internet cafes without an antivirus too.

I wouldn't trust an internet cafe at all, since the internet there is usually open always.

JJr
  •  JJr
  • 100% (Exalted)
2015-10-18T04:36:52Z
Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 

I wouldn't trust an internet cafe at all, since the internet there is usually open always.

when you gotta go you gotta go. thats the point of having the usb with him. internet cafe in the philippines is almost anywhere. its always a risk but you can at least lessen it with that.

Blackhawk8100
2015-10-18T04:44:10Z

when you gotta go you gotta go. thats the point of having the usb with him. internet cafe in the philippines is almost anywhere. its always a risk but you can at least lessen it with that.

I still think my idea will be good 😛

JJr
  •  JJr
  • 100% (Exalted)
2015-10-18T04:49:41Z
Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 

I still think my idea will be good :P

that isnt such a bad idea either :smile:

Blackhawk8100
2015-10-18T05:28:47Z

that isnt such a bad idea either :smile:

Thanks for your opinion, I am glad for the feedback 😛

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2015-10-20T17:31:23Z
What you're asking for... isn't cheap...

What you need, is an encrypted USB drive that also provides active protection against malware...

http://www.ironkey.com/e...drives/250-personal.html 

http://www.newegg.com/Pr...y-_-20-323-052-_-Product 

You're looking at close to $200 for one of these.

Blackhawk8100
2015-10-20T19:56:19Z
I would have said something along those lines, but as said, they are expensive, should go with my idea 😃
acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2015-10-20T22:13:33Z
Well you never know what a person is willing to pay for something. You shouldn't not tell someone all of their options because you don't think they will go for.

If it is important enough to him, he just might be willing to shell out $200 for this thing.

I'm pretty sure he isn't going to buy this thing... I wouldn't... but at least now he knows his options 🙂

Blackhawk8100
2015-10-21T02:55:18Z
I haven't totally looked into this, but you may want to:

https://www.truekey.com/ 

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2015-10-21T03:00:08Z
That is cool tech, but it does not solve his problem. He needs security while away from his own device.