Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline News  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:14:25 PM(UTC)
News

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Back on November 13, Wal-Mart announced that it would price match select online retailers which included Amazon.com. However, consumers took advantage of this and were recently able to scam Wal-Mart into price matching Sony’s $400 PlayStation 4 for only $90.

Proof of the fraud was noticed by CNBC as photos of receipts were posted on Twitter and Reddit by consumers who were able to get Wal-Mart to match the price of third-party sellers on Amazon by tricking the employees into thinking it was an authentic-looking Amazon page. The problem is, any Amazon member that has a registered selling account is able to create such pages. Once the page has been created, someone can just take a screenshot of the listing and then show it to the cashier at checkout.

But now Wal-Mart is cracking down on the scam. One consumer posted a picture that showed an in-store sign saying that there would be no the store would not match the PS4 Amazon.com ad “due to fraud.” Photos also showed updated price match requirements for any “huge” price differences.

The PS4 scam follows an incident where Sears accidentally listed Nintendo 3DS ($200) and Wii U ($300) bundles for $60 each. While Sears was able to correct the mistake, it wasn’t fast enough for consumers to go to various retail outlets and get a price match.

While the Sears incident was, most likely, an honest mistake, that is not the case when it concerns Wal-Mart and the PS4 scam. Perhaps Amazon might need to rethink its approach to third-party sellers such as making it easier to discern a third-party seller’s page from an authentic Amazon page?
Offline VictorNg  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:42:31 PM(UTC)
VictorNg

Groups: Registered

Wow genius

Offline inspector  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:50:01 PM(UTC)
Inspector

Man

Wait, so all i need to get a price match is a screenshot? O.o thats a horrible way to do it, when i get a price match at best buy they look it up themselves... i blame the employees xD

Offline WilliamBelmont  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:53:32 PM(UTC)
WilliamBelmont

Funny, the receipts have no price override lines from CSM or Manager...

Prolly bought a tablet and just hoaxed the receipt.

No cashier I know in their right mind would over-ride $300, expecially for an Amazon Listing that they know is not a MSRP/MAP Listing.

Offline SIgneri  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:53:34 PM(UTC)
SIgneri

This is a satire story most likely look at the receipt he's covering the top

Offline starwhite  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:24:26 PM(UTC)
starwhite

Man
United States
Location: Rugby ND. WE have a small Ranch house 15 miles outside of town on the open prairie.

Well I think the solution is for someone to develop some sort of trusted web standard to automatically compare prices that is beyond corruption. Otherwise I'm afraid the concept of matching prices will disappear altogether because of con artists exploiting the system. Very sad. That aside, is this story for real? I mean who would believe a $400 system going for only $90? Granted, & no offense intended, some Walmart workers can be dense, BUT really.

Offline MattAdams  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:55:31 PM(UTC)
MattAdams

Happened with the Nintendo bundles as well at $300-400 store price this past week. People were buying them for $60.

Offline WilliamBelmont  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:55:32 PM(UTC)
WilliamBelmont

there is a retail MAP Clause on every high priced Console.

Retailers can't sell these items below MAP or they get fined.

Offline Super Dave  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:11:37 AM(UTC)
Super Dave

Groups: Administrators, Registered

WilliamBelmont wrote:
Retailers can't sell these items below MAP or they get fined.

MAP simply means "They can’t advertise a product for sale any less than the agreed price. This means in print, online, or any where. Or course, this doesn’t mean they can’t sell the product cheaper, they simply can’t display a cheaper price." You can read about it HERE if you like, William.

Offline CliffVincent  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:00:07 AM(UTC)
CliffVincent

NICE haha