Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline paul  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 11:45:43 AM(UTC)
News

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Following up on the launch of its Fire TV set top box seven months ago, Amazon today introduced its little brother, the Fire TV Stick. Similar (but more powerfully equipped) to Google's Chromecast device, the Fire TV stick is a dongle that plugs into an HDMI port on your HDTV to offer instant access to movies, TV shows, music, photos, apps, and games.

"Fire TV Stick is the most powerful streaming media stick available—a dual-core processor, 1 GB of RAM, 8 GB of storage, dual-band and dual-antenna Wi-Fi, included remote control, voice search with our free mobile app, easy set-up, an open ecosystem, and exclusive features like ASAP for instant streaming," said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com Founder and CEO. "The team has packed an unbelievable amount of power and selection into an incredible price point—Fire TV Stick is just $39."

Fire TV Stick

These little dongles are becoming highly popular because due to the relatively low cost of ownership and ability to stream media from a wide variety of sources. In this case, Fire TV Stick owners can tap into Netflix, Prime Instant Video, Hulu Plus, WatchESPN, NBA GAme Time, Spotify, Pandora, YouTube, and more. Owners of the Fire TV stick can also rent or purchase content from over 200,000 movies and TV episodes from Amazon Prime Instant Video.

Outside of binge watching movies and TV shows, you can mirror your phone or tablet display wirelelessly from your Fire tablet, Fire phone, and Miracast-enabled devices without any additional software or apps.

Amazon's Fire TV Stick is available to pre-order now at a special introductory price of $19, which will stay in effect for two days. After that, it will bump up to its $39 MSRP. It will be released on November 19, though Amazon says shipments will likely take place after that date due to popular demand.
Offline AllenJun  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 3:48:11 PM(UTC)
AllenJun

Ordered one at that introductory price! :D

Offline mernerion  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 3:54:44 PM(UTC)
mernerion

That's so cool... I like this way better than the chrome cast. Especially if you're a frequent amazon user/have Amazon Prime. I love the idea of the voice search but if the mic isn't on the remote I can't really see it working out.

Offline sevags  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 5:57:36 PM(UTC)
sevags

Man
United States

YAWN. You all know how much I hate chromecast and I now have the same disdain for the Fire TV stick. I know it isn't possible but I wish everyone would switch to smart TV's rather than buy these streaming sticks. I have used chromecast and I have a samsung smart TV, but the streaming capabilities like netflix, youtube, etc, are all inferior experiences compared to using a laptop, HTPC, or "boxes" like AppleTV rather than "sticks". Sticks and TV's seem to have more simplified apps and their apps tend to lag. I always connect my laptop using HDMI when I use Netflix.

Offline SadiWali  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 7:57:47 PM(UTC)
SadiWali

dammit USA only, and the 19$ is for Prime customers only.

Offline realneil  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:45:24 PM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

No reason to buy this. Already have Roku and Apple TV.

Offline Manduh  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 3:01:48 PM(UTC)
Manduh

Woman
Canada

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 3 post(s)
So basically the cast stick thingies are for people who don't have a smart TV or a video game console, or a roku/apple TV, or an HDMI enabled PC/laptop? Unless this is the only way for someone to get streaming apps on their TV I don't see the point in buying one. Maybe I'm missing something, like some cool feature?