Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline News  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:26:20 AM(UTC)
News

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Apple’s CarPlay looks to be one of the more innovative products that the company has created since the passing of Steve Jobs, and although it’s likely that we’ll see new cars on the lot with CarPlay technology built in yet this year, Pioneer is offering an aftermarket CarPlay product that you can pop into the car that you already own.

The in-dash multimedia system will be available this summer on Pioneer’s NEX receivers via a firmware update and should offer all the features promised by any Apple CarPlay system.

Pioneer Apple CarPlay

“Pioneer’s years of expertise integrating smartphone connectivity into the automotive environment has provided us the opportunity to be among the first to offer CarPlay to drivers,” said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing for the Car Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. in a press release. “By providing an aftermarket option, Pioneer’s 2014 in-dash multimedia systems give many iPhone owners the ability to add CarPlay to their current vehicles.”

Pioneer Apple CarPlay

And boy oh boy will it cost you a pretty penny; the Pioneer NEX receivers start at $700 and range up to $1,400. That’s a luxury buy to be sure, but it’s still quite compelling. We wonder what the markup will be for built-in CarPlay on new vehicles.
Offline Rosec14  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:48:33 PM(UTC)
Rosec14

Groups: Registered

I don't see this catching on, honestly. It feels like until technology is integrated enough that the vehicle can drive itself, this is premature. I may be old fashioned, I admit. :)

Offline CalicalCarlos  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:47:04 PM(UTC)
CalicalCarlos

will be in 2016 models

Offline acarzt  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:06:39 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)

I think the car audio market for the most part is starting to whither away.

These head units have to fit into a single or double DIN slot which limits display size to about 7 inches.

Newer, intergrated Factory systems are starting to use 8" screens and larger!

Unless someone comes up with a new standard to allow for larger screens on these things... I don't foresee them lasting much longer.

Offline WendellBeverly1  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:32:44 PM(UTC)
WendellBeverly1

Hey, I can do all that stuff on my iPhone or iPad, without paying up to $1400. I think if they want to make it popular the price tag is going to have to come down.

With an iPad and a decent stereo with Bluetooth I can achieve this, for less than $700 and have the added utility of being able to take the iPad with me anywhere I go.