Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline realneil  
#31 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 9:01:12 AM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

Optimus & Taylor

This constant discord and bickering between the two of you has to stop. Prior, gentle suggestions don't seem to be getting through to you.

We like to try and keep a positive and upbeat flow here, and the problem between the two of you is blowing that out of the water.

So, though I hate to do this, (and should not HAVE to) here is some moderation.

In the future restrict your bickering and name calling to private messages between yourselves. Do not bring it into the public eye here on our forums or your posts will be moderated or deleted. Refer to one another by your registered names here on the boards and stop making up names that do not exist.

(you also have the option to just discontinue discourse between the two of you)

Having to constantly police your conversations will only be tolerated for a short while. If you two cannot get it together and be civil towards one another, you will be referred to our Admins for appropriate action.

We regard both of you as valuable members of our forum & both of you have a lot to contribute.

Consider this a warning.

Offline gdeptula  
#32 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 9:41:45 AM(UTC)
gdeptula

Groups: Registered

Alright, I found CCC and downloaded the latest version (I no longer have AMD Vision Control Center but actual Catalyst Control Center when I right click on the desktop). My AMD video driver and Steam client areup to date. After switching the GPU into the other slot, the slow boot from hibernation still persist, although slightly faster since I turned off a few needless startup programs (cold boot is also faster, obviously). 

I downloaded Live Update 5 and scanned my computer. It came back with about 10 updates, one being the 1.C version BIOS. Another one that caught my attention was something called "JMicron JMB36X Driver." I don't know what it is, but it's second on the list and not even installed. The rest on the list looked newer versions of drivers I already have or features of hardware in my machine.

Offline gdeptula  
#33 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 10:00:13 AM(UTC)
gdeptula

I know there's an edit button, but the two time I've tried to edit my previous comment, the site times out.

Anyway, what I was trying to say is:

I feel that I should mention that SC2 is performing like Skyrim at this point. The frame rate is low and inconsistent and shaders tend to flicker frequently. 

I don't know if this is also related, but web pages tend to "time out" more frequently than they had before, and during boot from hibernation, the windows logo isn't smooth, but chugs as the four colored spheres come together to form the logo.

Offline realneil  
#34 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 10:26:44 AM(UTC)
realneil

Man

gdeptula wrote:
I know there's an edit button

That comment was not directed towards you gdeptula.

If you move the mouse pointer to 'no icon' on your desktop and right click it, a sub-menu appears,.....

You can select to go into AMD's CCC program from there. Do that.

Then look under gaming settings and see if you have the option to enable crossfire acceleration on your system,....do that if it's not already enabled.

Try gaming with it now if it's just been enabled.

Also, on the AMD site, they'll put up ~crossfire profiles~ for games that will tweak your settings for each game you're playing. I understand that you game isn't on there yet,....but it should be soon. Once it's there, install that crossfire profile for your game and enable it.

One question,....if you remove one of the video cards from the system entirely, does the performance improve? How about when the cards are swapped out leaving the other card alone in the system?

Offline gdeptula  
#35 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 3:17:50 PM(UTC)
gdeptula

@realneil I knew that what you said wasn't directed toward me. I was just being informative cause I'm a bit paranoid when I don't define things specifically, haha.

I did as you suggested and took out the card in the PCI_E5 slot. I didn't notice a change in performance.

I haven't installed the 1.C version BIOS. It asked to install with a floppy or in Windows mode. I imagine I'd use the second one, not sure though?

Offline AKwyn  
#36 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 3:52:07 PM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

gdeptula wrote:
I took out the card in the PCI_E5 slot. I didn't notice a change in performance.

Isn't PCI_E5 the slot which MSI recommends for dual GPU usage... If so then I think you just took out your second card before you got to confirm if Crossfire was working or not; if I'm understanding that correctly.

Anyway; sucks, did you check to see if Crossfire is enabled and the graphics cards are working as they should... In GPU-Z it should tell you if Crossfire is enabled or disabled. If disabled then you might want to double check to see if everything's working properly and if everything's connected... Something could be lose in your system.

gdeptula wrote:

I haven't installed the 1.C version BIOS. It asked to install with a floppy or in Windows mode. I imagine I'd use the second one, not sure though?

Unless you have a floppy drive, use the second one... Every user has positive things to say about the Windows method and I'm sure you've read the posts describing the method in general and I'm sure you know the risks.

So... Click the second one...

Offline gdeptula  
#37 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 5:07:57 PM(UTC)
gdeptula

I feel like I should just re-install Windows...

Offline realneil  
#38 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 5:10:02 PM(UTC)
realneil

Man

gdeptula wrote:

I did as you suggested and took out the card in the PCI_E5 slot. I didn't notice a change in performance.

This Indicates that crossfire is not enabled.

Swapping the cards out alone in the system and trying them was to see if one is better performing than the other. You should still do this.

There is a proper placement for the second card in your system for crossfire to work properly. sounds like both Optimus & Taylor are on to something here. We HAVE to know that you have placed the cards (both of them) into X16 speed PCI-E slots.

Both of them.

I'm on an iPad right now and can't do a lot of research, but your manual has the information in it. It should also have all of the steps and sequences you have to do to enable crossfire properly. You should take the time to read it through and ensure that you are doing it right.

Offline realneil  
#39 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 5:10:50 PM(UTC)
realneil

Man

gdeptula wrote:

Not indicated yet,.......

Offline gdeptula  
#40 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 5:27:30 PM(UTC)
gdeptula

I switched the second card last night. It was in the PCI_E4 slot on my board. Moved it down one. I think I posted that on the previous page, maybe on the top of this one. 

I'm gonna go ahead and install the 1.C version BIOS. See if that does anything.

Offline realneil  
#41 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 5:40:54 PM(UTC)
realneil

Man

OK, so the cards are positioned properly.

Now, stupid questions, but have to make sure of some things,.......you have power plugged into the video cards directly from your Power supply unit, right?

Both power plugs on each card are filled?

You have the crossfire connector on top of the cards, connecting them to one another?

When you go into BIOS setup, 

You have any on board graphics disabled?  Right?

When you boot into Windows, you have crossfire enabled and you're showing the cards as being "Linked" ?

Make all of this so and then try it out to see if it is better.

Post back then with results.

Offline OptimusPrimeTime  
#42 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 5:41:14 PM(UTC)
OptimusPrimeTime

realneil wrote:

[quote user="gdeptula"]

Not indicated yet,.......

"Hey gdeptula don't give up.  Listen,  how about if we forget about the bios Flash for a moment. Lets concentrate on the cards. How about you do this. Do you remember what folder you downloaded the latest AMD drivers for the card, if not, have it on your *Desktop* ready to click on it. "

Lets do some troubleshooting like realneil suggested

1. Since you appear to have upgrade from a very old version of the AMD drivers, the new version may have inherit the problems of the old one.

2. UN-Install  the Catalyst Drives completely along with anything associated with it. 

3. Turn Off the machine. Disconnect the second card , use only the first and turn on you machine. Install the Drivers and test a game out. If the problem still persist. Take out the first card, leave it out, and use the second card in the first slot. Test it out and see if the issues are still there. 

4. get back to us.

Offline OptimusPrimeTime  
#43 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 5:44:25 PM(UTC)
OptimusPrimeTime

realneil wrote:
OK, so the cards are positioned properly..........Post back

"Sorry, for interfering, As I was writing, I did not see your response until I hit the Post button."

Offline realneil  
#44 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 5:45:08 PM(UTC)
realneil

Man

Also, the screen should be connected to the upper video card. Not the lower one. Just one connection to your screen as well.

I'm assuming that the connection from your computer to the screen is either white, or an HDMI cable. If it's a blue cable, or PLUG, it's not the right one.

Offline realneil  
#45 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 5:46:22 PM(UTC)
realneil

Man

No problem,...interfere if it helps him get the PC working,........[:)]

everything being posted by all of us is helpfull. Once we know the connections are proper, then we can test it and going to a clean driver installation is a logical next step.