Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline gdeptula  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:50:46 AM(UTC)
gdeptula

Groups: Registered

Hello, this is my first post so bear with me if I'm not in the correct thread :)

Anyway, my questions;

I'm an avid fan of the Elder Scrolls series of games (well, since Morrowind) and I wanted a computer for the upcoming release of Skyrim. I simply love the feel of computer gaming and had the money to treat myself. Specs are as follows:

AMD x6 1090T @ 3.2GHz

MSI 890FXA-GD70 mobo

2x MSI 2GB 6950 Twin Frozer II

G.Skill 8BG DDR3 1600

500GB Western Digital Caviar Black

850W Cooler Master Silent Pro M

Win 7 64-bit

My concern is that I'm not getting the proper amount of performance that I should be. Could it be a driver issue? Did I make a poor choice in the parts I used? I just don't know.

And another thing, can't seem to quite figure this out either. Whenever I start up from hibernation, it takes FAR too long. I'm talking 2-3 minutes before the password screen appears.

Anyway, don't mean to sound demanding, but I'm unsure and out of ideas. Figured I should go to a place where there are people that know more than me about these things.

Thanks.

Offline AKwyn  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2011 7:50:17 AM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

gdeptula wrote:
My concern is that I'm not getting the proper amount of performance that I should be. Could it be a driver issue? Did I make a poor choice in the parts I used? I just don't know.

Hi, first of all. Do you have the latest drivers; the AMD processor provided should power your game, the RAM is huge and the power is sufficient. I can't see anything wrong with your choice, so do you have the latest drivers? is your system full of dust/did you have your system cleaned? did you check Task Manager to see if any processes are taking up memory and CPU power? (sometimes there can be processes that can affect the performance of your system.)

gdeptula wrote:
And another thing, can't seem to quite figure this out either. Whenever I start up from hibernation, it takes FAR too long. I'm talking 2-3 minutes before the password screen appears.

Might be a program that's taking up a lot of resources, or it could be that you need to do this. I was having a bit of a problem with the start-up times and while they're not blazing fast, they are acceptable (takes me 45 seconds to boot now).... Or you could shut down your computer and do a cold boot, see if letting your computer hibernate is the source of your long boot times.

Also you've joined the right place, we're all knowledgeable technology people here ready to help you with your problems... Thanks for asking your question.

Offline digitaldd  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:39:49 AM(UTC)
digitaldd

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

gdeptula wrote:

System is definitely fast enough to handle just about anything out there, unless you have some sort of crazy display setup like 2 30" displays.. Have you checked the hard drive? it could be failing, check the System log in event view for disk events, hopefully you don't have any bad blocks or similar messages there if you do the drive could be dying.

Offline gdeptula  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:56:50 PM(UTC)
gdeptula

I'm sorry if my question about the time it takes to load from hibernation was vague, I didn't mean for it to be. That's the only time the lag occurs. Cold boot takes 20-30 seconds. From hibernation is 2-3 minutes, if not longer. The system runs fine once it boots though.

Offline Der Meister  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:11:02 PM(UTC)
Der Meister

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

sounds like it could be an OS issue.

Offline gdeptula  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:46:03 PM(UTC)
gdeptula

What do you mean?

Offline OptimusPrimeTime  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:22:54 PM(UTC)
OptimusPrimeTime

Der Meister wrote:

sounds like it could be an OS issue.

[quote user="gdeptula"]

What do you mean?

"He means that it could be a problem  the Operating System, Windows 7. It might be have problems due to a corrupt file or program. "

***My concern is that I'm not getting the proper amount of performance that I should be. Could it be a driver issue? Did I make a poor choice in the parts I used? I just don't know.***

"What type of performance problems are you facing specifically and with what game(s). I'm assuming of course Oblivion, since The latest version of Skyrim doesn't come out until the 11th, but just in case, are you experiencing problems with other games?  What driver version are you running? Did you experience the performance issues after you upgraded to the latest Driver?"

Offline gdeptula  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2011 1:25:56 AM(UTC)
gdeptula

Again, sorry for being vague. I'm actually not talking about Oblivion but SC2, Crysis and The Witcher 2. 

I sat down and played SC2 with a friend of mine last night. The game automatically scales the graphics for your computer (extreme on mine), but I'm only averaging around 45-50FPS, dips to high 30s in bigger engagements. Is SC2 that demanding of a game on the highest setting?

Another example is the original Crysis. I know Crysis is a demanding game, but a friend of mine has a similar PC with 5850s and ran it seemingly without lag at all. He said the "visuals were maxed," maybe they weren't. I didn't care to check. I had the 1.2 version of Crysis.

While playing The Witcher 2 I noticed some lag with the visuals maxed, although that was only on one card. Doesn't really apply.

I updated the visual drivers recently via Steam's AMD driver update function (don't know if that's frowned upon here or not). I did noticed that after submitting my info for the "Steam hardware survey" that the it said I only had one physical GPU even though I installed the second one not two days before.

Offline AKwyn  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:28:25 AM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

@gdeptula Thanks for responding, I'm running the latest version of Catalyst (11.10 I'm assuming, make sure you double check that okay?) and so far it's working good, and a setup like that shouldn't be causing problems for the graphics card at all... Have you installed this yet? These are the Crossfire profiles AMD made so that Crossfire would work properly in these games. These don't come with the Catalyst software by default so you problems may relate from not having this installed... I don't know if you have the latest version or not but install it, give it a try...

Also the long hibernation resume times may be coming from a program using up a lot of resources or something within the system itself; you may want to do a google search on your issue as I have not encountered a long hibernation issue before but I do suspect that it's either a problem with a program that you had running when you hibernated the computer or less likely, a problem with the system yourself... A list of programs that run on startup would be nice.

Anyway, for the meantime (unless your hibernating for a reason), just shutdown the computer and do a cold boot everyday until the hibernation issue is resolved... Like you said, the boot time is 20-30 seconds, therefore a program or something in the system just has to be inhibiting the hibernation startup process.

Offline gdeptula  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:24:22 PM(UTC)
gdeptula

Is there any reason why the Steam Hardware Survey would say that I only have one physical GPU when I have two?

Also, what's a quick way to get to my startup program list and locate the driver version for the card and Catalyst?

Thanks.

Offline AKwyn  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:31:27 PM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

@gdeptula msconfig.exe; click on the Startup tab...

For Catalyst version. Go to desktop, right click, click on Catalyst Control Center, then click on Information and finally software; it should list the Catalyst Version on the page...

As for the Steam Hardware Survey not seeing the second card, don't know... Did you click the link and installed the software; if so you should try it again to see if it works, also make sure Crossfire is enabled. (I'm assuming you have it enabled but I'm just asking to make sure it's enabled.)

Offline gdeptula  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:58:46 PM(UTC)
gdeptula

So, I feel like the biggest idiot, but how do you go about enabling Crossfire? Is it something other than installing the card and drivers? Cause that's all I can remember doing...

Also, when I go to the desktop and right click, all I see it AMD Vision Control Center, not Catalyst Control Center. Are the two one in the same?

Offline Der Meister  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:54:37 PM(UTC)
Der Meister

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Offline gdeptula  
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:25:25 AM(UTC)
gdeptula

I think I might've fixed the issue. Upon some digging around in the AMD Vision Control Center, I saw that the second GPU was in a PCIE 2.0 x4 slot. Does that essentially meant that it's a fourth as slow as a x16 slot?

Thanks.

Offline AKwyn  
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:11:25 AM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

gdeptula wrote:
I think I might've fixed the issue. Upon some digging around in the AMD Vision Control Center, I saw that the second GPU was in a PCIE 2.0 x4 slot. Does that essentially meant that it's a fourth as slow as a x16 slot?

Somewhat definitely... I mean those GPU's are supposed to be in a 16x slot, which is either the fourth or third slot of your ATX motherboard. (Third slot if you're using MicroATX) Granted, they'd run at 8x/8x but that's enough for what you need to do, all the gaming sites state that 16x/16x is overkill.... Unless your going Tri-SLI/Crossfire.