Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline AMontiel  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:20:14 PM(UTC)
AMontiel

Groups: Registered

AMD! Release this quick! Or else...

Offline FRubi  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:55:24 PM(UTC)
FRubi

I think history has shown us that if you over hype something its generally not as great as the hype, at all....

I hope AMD makes me eat my words....

Offline AKwyn  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:17:45 PM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

FRubi wrote:

I think history has shown us that if you over hype something its generally not as great as the hype, at all....

I hope AMD makes me eat my words....

To be fair, most of the hype is being justified as what AMD is showing us is a sign of confidence; I mean I don't know if the performace will outclass that of the competing intels but man, 8GHz; I'm impressed that it's able to get 8GHz simply through the usage of liquid nitrogen cooling; hell, I'd have to say that it's very, very, very impressive.

Now if only they'd release some 8GHz Bulldozer benchmarks.

Offline TSmith  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:54:48 AM(UTC)
TSmith

Isn't that pretty.. Amd looks to set new speed records, while Intel goes after the tablet market and very low power requirements laptops/netbooks (apprently the future choice of consumers vs desktops). Let me know then these 2 cores reach 8.5ghz w/o overclocking & cooling necessary. It's quite easy now to just light up the other 2 cores @ 4.xghz under mild overclocking. So, unless they get a 8.5ghz x 4 (34ghz on one chip) cores going... what is such a big deal? Neverthelss, the PC industry is going to go off a cliff soon in demand. You see DDR3 ram prices plummeting right now... Guess who's next? The cpu companies...Innovate a mainstream product.Cut prices some now, or a lot more than you'll want to later on... your choice.

Offline realneil  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:45:44 AM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

TSmith wrote:
So, unless they get a 8.5ghz x 4 (34ghz on one chip) cores going... what is such a big deal?

It's just bragging rights. It's what some people do, (and HAVE been doing for years) and we all know that it's not gonna perform anywhere near to that speed with all of it's cores running in our own homes.

The fact that they got it so high with their methods speaks to the very real possibility the platform may be a nice over-clocking home rig for those of us who like to do the same thing on a lesser level.

TSmith wrote:
Let me know then these 2 cores reach 8.5ghz w/o overclocking & cooling necessary

Keep coming back to HH and you'll know about it when it happens.

Offline AKwyn  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:49:48 PM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

TSmith wrote:

Isn't that pretty.. Amd looks to set new speed records, while Intel goes after the tablet market and very low power requirements laptops/netbooks (apprently the future choice of consumers vs desktops).

Um. Intel isn't giving up on making powerful PC processors and AMD is also going in the same route that Intel is, which is processors which are very low power in requirements; so you can say they haven't changed much really...

TSmith wrote:
Let me know then these 2 cores reach 8.5ghz w/o overclocking & cooling necessary.

We will... In 5 years or so give or take.

TSmith wrote:
Neverthelss, the PC industry is going to go off a cliff soon in demand. You see DDR3 ram prices plummeting right now... Guess who's next? The cpu companies...Innovate a mainstream product.Cut prices some now, or a lot more than you'll want to later on... your choice.

DDR3 RAM prices may be plummeting but there's still alot of demand for them, and the CPU companies are doing all that they can to innovate. They didn't call it the PC industry for nothing, and sure; even though it's moving somewhat towards a tablet direction; there's still going to be a place for both AMD and Intel in the future. I mean really, you think they focused mainly on staying the same when all you can do in the computer industry is move forward?

Offline JWashington  
#22 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:35:22 PM(UTC)
JWashington

Loving the record breaking by the bulldozer but would still like to see it under a load. See what it can do. Can't wait to see some benchmarks and real reviews. So excited!!!

Offline rbetz  
#23 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:59:10 PM(UTC)
rbetz

how would this impress you? Gamer or Video crucher?

I don't understand the need for faster instead of more multicores in a operational capacity.

overclocked speed != increased performance in user operation, IMO.

Offline CRex  
#24 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:55:31 AM(UTC)
CRex

I bet the moment they start rendering with a 3D app, they would get instant BSOD...

And 2 cores only?

Pleasee....

This is sooo marketing BS...

Offline realneil  
#25 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:39:54 AM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

CRex wrote:
This is sooo marketing BS...

But they ~all~ do this. We know this already.

Most of us are waiting for the hands on results from the many reviewers that probably already have these parts and are testing them in 'real world' usage scenarios.

There will such reviews posted here soon enough, I'd say.

Offline RMorin  
#26 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 4:40:08 PM(UTC)
RMorin

I'm not sure, but would it be possible to run this on an AM3 motherboard as well, or is it AM3+ only for now, or will it be on an entirely different architecture altogether? I have a Phenom II x4 955 on a 790GX Gigabyte Mobo, so I'd like to lessen the hassle of needing to build a whole new rig around the Bulldozer and/or Windows 8. This certainly has me excited nonetheless, but, certainly don't want to go through too much stress in upgrading this go round, need to scale back on building full-blown PCs in today's economy.

Offline PHale  
#27 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 10:11:36 PM(UTC)
PHale

Just before Christmas, I found an FX-65 tower at a thrift store.

Boot screen BIOS shows 5.915 GHz + 2GB memory. A gaming card XFX 256MB, is installed, with dual video ports.

I am still rather amazed at a Sempron 2800+

Offline BHelemaalNiks  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:55:36 PM(UTC)
BHelemaalNiks

LoL put it in a computer! :D

Offline LeeJamesWood  
#29 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 11:32:59 AM(UTC)
LeeJamesWood

I did 8Ghz on my laptop, an 18'' alienware, and hold first place on HBOT with it. Beat that.

Actually, I'll concede, if you want to hire me, than I can show you what its all about :P

but seriously, I need a job, to support my hobby... which should be my job ha!

UserPostedImage