Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ASundgren  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2011 7:54:37 PM(UTC)
ASundgren

Groups: Registered

Hey!

I've put together some components that I think will work quite nicely, but I would really like some feedback. And as this is my first time actually building the setup myself, any tips would be very welcome.

I already got the following parts which I don't plan on changing:

Chassi: NZXT Phantom White

PSU: Zalman 1000-HP - 1000w (http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Pr...ad.asp?idx=282)

HDD's: 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB, 1x WD Caviar Green 2TB.

Optical: Samsung DVD burner

So to the new stuff. Since I live in Sweden, I'm posting my list of components from a Swedish retailer, but the name of the components are the same.

http://www.komplett.se/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=958869&su=BD119113-07D3-4296-B368-123DD1761E0D

Typing them below for convience.

Processor: Intel i7 2600K

CPU-cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe

Memory: Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9

SSD: Crucial m4 SSD 2,5" 256GB

Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX 590

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get!

Offline rrplay  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:22:09 AM(UTC)
rrplay

Hi and welcome

looks pretty solid so far with the hardware you have already selected ,>>just wanted to comment on the choice of the Antec 620 cpu cooler that you selected.

I have this cooler it works really well and is very quiet

the pre-applied thermal paste is ShinEtsu X23-7868-2D. which  is very very good .

you may want to look into the Cooler Master Hyper 612 PWM CPU Cooler which will likely out perform the 620 and is also very quiet with the PWM fans esp with an OC !  >> about 49.00 US retail & the install is  breeze.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3049

Even though I may have mentioned a CPU cooler that may not be available from the particular retailer you mentioned you may able to find it from another.It's new and they may be getting it in soon. Also  is a bit less expensive than the Antec 620

If you do not plan to OC the i7 2600K then stick with the Antec Kuhler 620

just a thought & let  us know how it's going.

Offline ASundgren  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:15:52 AM(UTC)
ASundgren

Hey and thanks!

I see what you mean. However I can't help but think that the Antec 620 (or similar closed water system) is preferable to me instead of a big heavy air cooler sitting in the middle of everything. At least that is my opinion.

Plus like you said it doesn't seem to be avaible in the retailer I've mentioned (nor a couple of others here), yet anyway.

You don't think one can overclock with the Antec 620? From what I've read in reviews etc, it seem to pretty decent. I'm not planning on something extreme, since it will be my first time I'll take it easy.

Offline rrplay  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 8:31:51 AM(UTC)
rrplay

ASundgren wrote:

You don't think one can overclock with the Antec 620? From what I've read in reviews etc, it seem to pretty decent. I'm not planning on something extreme, since it will be my first time I'll take it easy.

hey thanks for getting back.I actually do have & OC with an Antec kuhler 620 [pretty familiar with it see this forum elsewhere] and it works extremely  well. For my particular setup

.however after seeing some actual test s of the above mentioned CM 612PWM cooler it performs actually noticeably  better than the Antec 620 with a rather higher  OC ..

since you mentioned you are  going to "take it easy' = >> get the Antec 620

So sticking with the Asetec/Antec types you will not have a problem with ram heatsinks clearance. and from what you mentioned about OC ing your i7 2600K you are likely to be using a modest OC for 24/7 use that's 'performance -tuned'  ...very cool and stable.with the Antec 620.& enjoy the cool 'n quiet.[:)]

Offline ASundgren  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:36:49 PM(UTC)
ASundgren

Antec 620 it is then!

Thanks for the feedback rrplay!

Offline OptimusPrimeTime  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 1:20:16 PM(UTC)
OptimusPrimeTime

"You have a great setup, the only thing I can add , is to buy another fan for a push pull configuration to shave some extra degrees. For Sandy Bridge Chips, the 620 is more than enough if you want to take it to 4.8, as I seen websites reviewers and Boutique builders overclock the 2600K on cheaper air coolers to those overclocked speeds. Enjoy your kick ass rig!"

-Optimus  

Offline rrplay  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 2:58:51 PM(UTC)
rrplay

@A Sundgren  you can always swap out a fan later if you want & have a lot of flexibility with the NZXT Phantom chassis.

yep that sure is going to be a kick-ass rig ! that's .totally sweet and quiet too !.

would really like to see a pic or 2 when you have it built and if you have any questions  problems performance-tuning  let us know..

Thanks A Sundgren

Offline ASundgren  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 3:44:19 PM(UTC)
ASundgren

@Optimus - Thanks! You make a good point there, I'll make sure to pop in another fan.

@rrplay - I'll make sure to put up some pictures when it's time to build. I'm gonna try and order later the coming week.

And thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!

Offline OptimusPrimeTime  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 8:35:37 PM(UTC)
OptimusPrimeTime

"Glad to help, like RRplay mentioned, hope to see the some pics when its finally done, oh. and what games are you gonna be playing?

Offline ASundgren  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:06:56 AM(UTC)
ASundgren

Well in the coming months there's loads to look forward to! First and foremost for me it's Battlefield 3 and then Skyrim.

But then I hope to catch up on some titles that I haven't been able to play yet, like Metro 2033 and Crysis 2. I also look forward to trying out Shogun 2 in DX11, it looks awesome with my current rig so I can't wait to try that out.

Offline rrplay  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:21:55 AM(UTC)
rrplay

ASundgren wrote:

Well in the coming months there's loads to look forward to! First and foremost for me it's Battlefield 3 and then Skyrim...

hey thanks for getting back & I am with you on those 2 titles and would like to try them as well ,,

by the way what type of screen setup do you have ?

hope you do get back with some pics of that build so we can all drool  some more .

thanks

Offline ASundgren  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:05:32 AM(UTC)
ASundgren

At the moment I got a single 3 yr old Samsung 2493HM 24". But I was planning on getting a new 120Hz screen later this year but I'm not sure which one to get. Sort of waiting for the new Samsung 23"/27" 120Hz screens to show up but there doesn't seem to be any info out on when.

And those pics might take a while since there seem to be some issues with the delivery of the GTX 590's. The one I was planning to order had apparently been postponed until the 1 october. So I'm looking into some other brands atm. Zotacs seem to be the one to come in first. But I don't know much about Zotac though.

Offline realneil  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:40:08 AM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

ASundgren wrote:
But I don't know much about Zotac

I've had no good experience with them yet. (bought two cards from them, and returned them both)

ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, and XFX are my favorite brands. (never had a problem with any of them)

Offline ASundgren  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:03:05 PM(UTC)
ASundgren

Hey Neil!

Thanks for your input! Something I wonder though is how much they've really done with the 590 since it seem to be identical to the Nvida reference. So does it matter in this case which brand you choose?

And while I would prefer to get the Asus card, I don't really want to wait until the 1st of october.. The retailer which I'm buying all the parts from is getting some Gigabyte 590's in on the 17 of august. But that is 46$ more than the Zotac and 120$(!) than the Asus. I've looked at some other retailers but none of them have a date set for when they'll get the cards (Cuz no retailer got any 590's what-so-ever). Would you say that it would really be worth it to get the Gigabyte instead?

Offline realneil  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:25:13 PM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

ASundgren wrote:
So does it matter in this case which brand you choose?

Always,.....

ASundgren wrote:
Would you say that it would really be worth it to get the Gigabyte instead?

Yes, instead of the Zotac, any day.

Question, Why do you need two 590's for that system? I could see pairing two 580's in a system, but the 590 all by itself is a beast of a video card. You may want to consider buying just one of them to see if it fits your needs, and adding the other one later, if it does not.