Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline transam02  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 3:12:32 AM(UTC)
transam02

Groups: Registered

Well Wednesday night I got home from work and my second pc was displaying a blue screen. So I start diagnosing the problem and after a couple of hours it looks like the mobo crapped out again except this time its the memory slots that are causing the problems instead of the pci express slots. Hopefully asus will help me out on this again since this will be the 5th or 6th time I am sending this board back. Although I may just try and find a cheap board that can handle the load cause I am tired of that one. Also hope everyone had a great turkey day.

Offline fat78  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 6:24:11 AM(UTC)
fat78

wow 5 or 6 times? by then i'll be throwing that board at the wall and forget about it.

How long have you had it for?

Offline realneil  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 6:31:34 AM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

See if it will blend,...............6 RMA's?

Offline Marco C  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 12:33:10 PM(UTC)
Marco C

Groups: Administrators, Editors, Moderator, Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)

There's got to be something else that's the root cause of this problem, and it's the motherboard that's being damaged. I'd guess a noisy PSU or unstable power that's stressing the VRM.

Just to tell you a little story.  Dave used to kill hard drives every few months. I recommended he invest in a high-end UPS / power conditioner and he hasn't killed once since.

Offline realneil  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 1:22:07 PM(UTC)
realneil

Man

Marco C wrote:
There's got to be something else that's the root cause of this problem

I second the PSU as a strong possibility. I don't know if you've tried changing it yet, if not, then consider it. That many fails is suspect.

Offline 3vi1  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 3:22:02 PM(UTC)
3vi1

Groups: Moderator, Registered
Man

realneil wrote:

[quote user="Marco C"]There's got to be something else that's the root cause of this problem

I second the PSU as a strong possibility. I don't know if you've tried changing it yet, if not, then consider it. That many fails is suspect.

I'll third that.  This is the perfect time to break out your multimeter.

(I'm going to go run and hide before the other regulars lynch me now.)

Offline transam02  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 3:54:06 PM(UTC)
transam02

fat78- I have had it for bout 5-6 years now so I have had to rma it about every year.  I think they have sent me the same board back the past couple of times cause it is somethin different goin out on it every time I have to send it back. 

I havent changed the psu yet. But depending on if or when they rma it. I dont even know if I will put anything back in that machine. I may wait till I can get some newer equipment to upgrade the components or win the one that is being given away. [:D]    Thanks for all the help guys but like it was said before I will prolly just trash that board and try to upgrade.

Offline 3vi1  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 4:11:29 PM(UTC)
3vi1

Man

transam02 wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys but like it was said before I will prolly just trash that board and try to upgrade.

That's what I would advise.  But seriously:  Either replace or test the PSU too - you don't want it [censored]up a new board.  I had one mess up two CPU's once before I realized the first CPU wasn't just defective.  That's the reason I only buy top-of-the-line PSUs nowadays.

Offline realneil  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 4:13:54 PM(UTC)
realneil

Man

3vi1 wrote:
That's the reason I only buy top-of-the-line PSUs nowadays

Would I sound like a broken record if I say,.....SeaSonic?

Offline transam02  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 4:45:06 PM(UTC)
transam02

3vi1- Yea I will test the psu before sticking anything else in there. Its a thermaltake tough power. But I have had it for a while.

Offline 3vi1  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 4:45:09 PM(UTC)
3vi1

Man

realneil wrote:

No.  You'd sound like a broken record if you said "SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... SeaSo... ..."

Offline acarzt  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 5:40:14 AM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)

realneil wrote:

[quote user="3vi1"]That's the reason I only buy top-of-the-line PSUs nowadays

I'm extremely happy with my 850w Corsair :-)

Offline realneil  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 7:45:46 AM(UTC)
realneil

Man

I traded out a Yellow striped Corsair 850W modular for a 700W SeaSonic PSU and the system still runs perfectly. I sent the Corsair to my son in Vegas, he liked that,....

I went to http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and filled it all out with my parts and my usage is estimated at 580W Maximum. (with overclocking factored in)

So the 700 leaves enough of a buffer for some small upgrades, and I really do prefer this brand. 

JonnyGuru reviews PSU's all of the time, and SeaSonic is the only brand PSU to ever get a perfect review from them.  http://www.jonnyguru.com