AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 76.5% (Friendly)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2010-06-04T12:45:03Z

I've recently got heatsinks for my RAM in my quest to overclock further then 2.90GHz but I've hit a bit of a roadblock. The RAM, it has been giving me a particually painful time. I have tried upping the DDR voltage to 2.10 and the northbridge voltage to 104% and it's stable for normal use but it's not for any heavy usage which is gaming. I have tried manipulating the timings manually to no effect, either the system BSOD's or the motherboard restarts itself. I have also tried getting the DDR voltage and the northbridge voltage down to 2.00 and 102% respectively but that caused even more problems.

So can anybody help me. My FSB is set to 1095, my DDR is set to 920 and I'm using a Core 2 Duo E4500 (2.20GHz) and a Biostar GF7100P-M7S motherboard. The memory I have in there are 2 1GB Samsung Sticks rated at 800MHz. Please help, I have tried nearly everything and I just want to get 3.00GHz or possibly 3.20 GHz stable.

Der Meister
2010-06-04T13:25:25Z

what is the cpu ratio, and what type of cooling are you using? 

bob_on_the_cob
2010-06-04T13:56:18Z

In addition to Meisters questions what do your temps look like.

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2010-06-04T16:03:43Z

Also, what power supply are you using?

What timings are you runing on the ram?

What timings are they rated for?

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 76.5% (Friendly)
2010-06-05T00:21:17Z

OCZ Stealth xStream 600W

I used to be using the timings 6-5-4-20 but it didnt help at all.

This one is rated for 6-4-4-17 at the stock frequency.

EDIT: My temps are 46 degrees idle. The problem I'm mostly having is with the memory side of things.

mentaldisorder
2010-06-06T00:04:54Z

Is it at least running at the proper voltage?

Der Meister
2010-06-06T00:37:18Z

what is the CPU multiplier? 11? 

so with a fsb of 1095= 273.75

Ram 800MHZ=400 so you could under clock your ram and tighten the timings 

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 76.5% (Friendly)
2010-06-06T22:17:25Z

CPU multiplier is 11.

I undeclocked the RAM and I tightened the timings but the computer still keeps on crashing.

dlim783
2010-07-01T16:38:02Z

It depends on your PSU. Have watercooling and radiator system installed in your computer to dissipate the heat. The heatsinks on your RAM might interfere with Cooling fans.

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 76.5% (Friendly)
2010-07-03T08:00:54Z

dlim783 wrote:

It depends on your PSU. Have watercooling and radiator system installed in your computer to dissipate the heat. The heatsinks on your RAM might interfere with Cooling fans.

I know there's a contest going on but you could not be more wrong. The PSU is more then powerful enough to support an overclock. If you did not know, watercooling setups cost more money and are usually for enthusiasts or people who want to gain the highest possible overclock. The heatsinks on my RAM do not interfere with my cooling fans seeing as how my case only contains 2 (1 case fan, 1 CPU fan).

dlim783
2010-07-04T00:14:30Z

I already know that... Don't try to patronize me.

mentaldisorder
2010-07-04T09:48:05Z

The PSU wattage is perfectly fine....

I forgot about this thread, sorry Taylor.  Hve you had any luck, or can you update us on the current situation?

And to Dlim, please stop reviving old threads, this one is fine, but the

others are going to blow up my email.

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 76.5% (Friendly)
2010-07-05T03:27:35Z

I agree. When I saw my email inbox, I've known it was already blown.

Anyways, I broke my Motherboard so I had to go out and get a new one, I found one that had Dual-Channel memory but it did not have voltage control options. I tried to overclock the processor using BSEL and VID mods but for some reason I did it wrong as the sensors were totally out of place and reporting inaccurate temperatures. Finally, the CPU I had died very slowly after I placed it in there with no mods, I even lowered the multiplier so that it wouldn't be using alot of heat but for some reason it kept on locking up until the motherboard refused to boot with the CPU in there.

Currently I'm going to sell my MSI G31TM-P35 and get a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L which I have found to have voltage control, something I desperately need to overclock without killing another CPU with a BSEL or VID mod applied using packing tape.. The CPU I'm thinking of is either going to be a Core 2 Duo E7200 or a Pentium Dual-Core E5200. While I do like the E5200 for it's overclocking value, I might go with the E7200 as it has more L2 cache and the SSE4 might be beneficial for some people using audio applications, if it does not do that then the E5200 it is.

The irony is I did not realize the E4500 had such a low voltage, with my previous motherboard I could of just increased the voltage of the CPU but then there would be the problem of the computer constantly resetting due to extreme northbridge heat. So what do you guys think?

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2010-07-08T02:28:50Z

I think you need new ram too.

The fact that it does not come with heat sinks tells me it is bargain ram and is not meant to handle overclocking and has the lowest standards of any ram you can buy from the same company.

Get yourself a good board that is designed with overclocking in mind. That is if you still want to overclock..

It's been my experience in this day and age that Overclocking does not net much results that you can see/feel. I overclocked my i7 920 to 4Ghz, and it had higher benchmark scores... but no real world performance worth keeping such a high clock and running high temps that will shorten the life span of the computer.

Overclocking just isn't really worth it anymore. I would suggest just getting some decent hardware and live with what you've got. :-)

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 76.5% (Friendly)
2010-07-08T04:00:14Z

acarzt wrote:

I think you need new ram too.

The fact that it does not come with heat sinks tells me it is bargain ram and is not meant to handle overclocking and has the lowest standards of any ram you can buy from the same company.

I did buy heatsinks to be applied to the RAM so I can increase the overclocking potential though. I barely have enough money to buy performance ram, nonetheless RAM that costs about $160 on eBay.

acarzt wrote:

Get yourself a good board that is designed with overclocking in mind. That is if you still want to overclock..

I am, I'm swapping my current motherboard with the Gigabyte motherboard I said earlier, I might sell my MSI motherboard to make back some of the money I spent on the thing.

acarzt wrote:

It's been my experience in this day and age that Overclocking does not net much results that you can see/feel. I overclocked my i7 920 to 4Ghz, and it had higher benchmark scores... but no real world performance worth keeping such a high clock and running high temps that will shorten the life span of the computer.

It works for what I need. Overclocking removes the GPU bottleneck that my ATI Radeon HD 4890 currently faces, whenever I have a slower CPU it just feels like my CPU is moving through quicksand, and that's why I want to overclock to what I consider to be stable, to gain as much performance as I can without spending allot of money.