caos420
  •  caos420
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-01-26T20:00:25Z

A few weeks ago I read that Microsoft stole the patents to the word format and as of Jan,11,2010 word / office would be taken off the market but i have not heard anything more about it?Just wondering couse i use Ms office a lot for schooling particularly office 2007.And if so what will replace it?

Soupstyle
2010-01-27T00:29:29Z

Microsoft is being sued for the XML editors included in MS Office 2007, it is in court, but there is an [censored]ction in place that doesn't let MS sell copies of Office with the XML editor with it (so they can't sell new copies until they remove that feature from their retail version).

If you already have the software, nothing will happen to you. MS will still support it and update it, etc.

gibbersome
2010-01-27T00:42:24Z

I heard about that, Microsoft halted Office sales in a couple of weeks ago. However, while it's not available online, other retailers (like Amazon) have continued to sell Office so it shouldn't affect Microsoft's bottom line too much. But like Soupstyle mentioned, it won't be a problem with existing copies of Office.

Office 2010 is set to be released soon, and I'm wondering if this lawsuit will affect its release date. The newer version of Office is supposed to be netbook friendly, and faster than the previous version without an increase in system requirements.

blazarcher
2010-03-30T19:56:53Z

WOW I had no idea this was going on. I bought my Office Suite from AMAZON so I guess that's why I was unaffected. 

I've got the Office 2010 beta, and I can tell you, it's definitely a worthy upgrade over the 2007 edition. Right now I'm using OUTLOOK 2010 a lot. It takes a while to load though but once it's started, its FAST.

Inspector
2010-03-31T16:00:01Z

i signed up for office 2010 and got the key but never installed it xD, im just too lazy -.-

Also try not to bump a 2-3 month old thread. (nothing major but its still bumping :D)

Marius Malek
2010-03-31T16:41:25Z

blazarcher wrote:

WOW I had no idea this was going on. I bought my Office Suite from AMAZON so I guess that's why I was unaffected. 

I've got the Office 2010 beta, and I can tell you, it's definitely a worthy upgrade over the 2007 edition. Right now I'm using OUTLOOK 2010 a lot. It takes a while to load though but once it's started, its FAST.

Every outlook I have every used has been slow as balls. You just redeemed my faith in '10. 

moethelawn
2010-03-31T17:00:39Z

blazarcher wrote:

Ditto that!  I'm also running the Office Professional 2010 Beta!  It is awesome!  Outlook 2010 comes up fast for me and I have a couple of email accounts that use POP.  Are you using exchange or something?

blazarcher
2010-04-01T01:18:41Z

No, I just have a Gmail account linked to Outlook. I do get a lot of emails though so that might have something to do with it.

unknownD3VIL
2010-04-14T07:06:46Z

I have no clue....

I do have office 2010 though.....

Inspector
2010-04-14T15:51:02Z

What does 2010 have to do with this? 😃 They took out the so called stolen  things that were patented (i think it was xml or something...) Also you can still use your version you still have i think, they just can't sell it any more.

animatortom
2010-04-16T05:55:04Z
Sounds like everyone is trying to sue everyone?

I guess since there is no real innovation anymore, companies have to rely on patent lawsuits to generate their revenue?

There is probably going to be a big shift in the Office suite market with Google and Java now entering the picture.

These type of proprietary issues is kinda what drove Corel Wordperfect into the shadows, it might do the same to MS Office. Yet I do believe they have a bigger share of the workplace market!

I know my GF is waiting for MSO 2010, since she does all that office stuff [8-|]
3vi1
  •  3vi1
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2010-04-17T17:03:19Z

animatortom wrote:

Sounds like everyone is trying to sue everyone?

That's about the sum of it.  Even I, though I generally detest Microsoft's business practices, was totally on their side for this one.  Patents are supposed to promote innovation, but software patents on obvious and direct logic for solving a problems are doing nothing but making money for patent trolls (who produce nothing used in any actual products).  And it's the consumer that ends up suffering for it, in the form of the higher costs needed to pay off litigant leeches whose entire existence does nothing to better or even create any product.

And it's not just software:  even hardware trolls are constantly patenting the obvious and successfully suing other companies.  Having a business model where your only means of revenue is to sue someone who independently invents, designs, manufactures, and markets an actual product should be criminal.

/rant off.  :)

eunoia
2010-04-19T18:13:54Z

I wonder what Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston think of all this. 

3vi1
  •  3vi1
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2010-04-19T18:34:54Z

eunoia wrote:

I wonder what Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston think of all this. 

Dan Bricklin's said that it was a bad idea that software patents were ever implemented, but that you'll get beat down by others if you don't try to use them now to protect yourself.

I usually don't mind companies patenting stupid things defensively, but when that company begins abusing others with their patent portfolio, it's an entirely different matter.

dlim783
2010-07-01T13:39:03Z

I have no problem with Microsoft Office 2010... I love this software. I've been using this Office since 1999.