Crysis
  •  Crysis
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-07-13T22:06:13Z

Ok I have a Core 2 Duo E7200, I wish to overclock it at stock fan/stock voltages.

I tried playing with the voltages and the CPU gets hot  (around 70 degrees celcius) so I'd prefer it to stay at under 45 (35 degrees is which it is at stock clock).

I'm using a single channel motherboard, with a max bandwidth of PC2-5300 (333mhz) (1gb [2x512] DDR2 Ram total)

Motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H nForce 630i/7100

I only want to use it for max stock overclocking purposes so please no suggestion of another processor, I only just bought this :)

How  far can I take this at this thing without having to modify much?

Thanks in advance :)

Regards.

ice91785
2008-07-14T10:55:31Z

This all really depends on your entire setup as far as how much of an OC you can truely accomplish. Also there are many roads to accomplish a good OC.

To start off leave your voltages alone for now -- put them at stock (what your RAM and CPU require minimum amt). If you have not done so read up on the various settings that can be adjusted when overclocking -- it is very important to educate yourself on the procedures before you start. As you say you just got the CPU so why take a chance in potentially lessoning the life of it dramatically or worse?

Anyway, generally you want to start off with increasing the FSB -- this will in turn up the speeds of the frequency of both your CPU and RAM unless your chipset allows for independant clocking (I know the 650i and 680i will allow this, but I am not sure of the 630i chipsets). If you are able to, please do. Otherwise you have to worry about your RAM speeds as you OC your CPU (and it just adds another variable to the equation). I am going to assume your chipset allows for "unlinked" FSB increases...so, start off with upping the FSB by about 20 until you fail a boot. When this eventually occurs knock back the FSB 20, and start to increase it by ~2-3 until you again fail a boot. Basically find the max FSB you can boot into your OS with -- this is only the first part of the battle however....

Now that you booted into your OS, you will require some stress test software and temperature monitoring software. Orthos or Prime95 are the most commonly used for stress testing and I like Core Temp to monitor my CPU (it only works on Intel Core-series CPUs). So then, open Core Temp and make sure your CPU is within the realm of temps it should be (quick 'net search can tell you your ceiling). Start Orthos and stress your CPU specifically (no need to stress RAM at this point so leave it out of the equation). Chances are you will fail the stress test the first time pretty quickly (round error or rig will lock up....) While its stressing WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURES religiously for the first 5 mins or so as they will undoubtedly increase quite a bit. I say 5 mins because they will usually cap out around that time...

If you can effectively run Orthos' CPU stress for ~12-24 hrs (without lockups or fatal rounding errors on EITHER of your cores) your overclock is stable. If not, reboot and slowly lower your FSB by ~2 until you can stress your rig for the aforementioned time and stay within the a good temperature range (i.e. if your CPU is 80*C under a load you probably want to back off your clocks a bit).

Keep in mind these processes are VERY time consuming so you have to have quite a bit of patience....as always read up a lot!

Iain
  •  Iain
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
2008-07-19T23:20:29Z

I just bumped my FSB to 333Mhz and now I"m at 3.16Ghz... Let me know what you do! Tommorow I'ma push it a little farther and see how high I can get. Maybe put the FSB to 400Mhz?

Crysis
  •  Crysis
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-07-19T23:23:46Z

hey, I am sticking at 333, I dont want to mess with the voltages too much and anything past that gets unstable for me :/

Thanks for the help though