•  ccfc1986
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-04-09T17:24:06Z
I am running the following rig:

E6400 Intel Core 2 Duo (no OC)
Asus P5N-SLI
2 GB G. Skills PC6400

I am having a problem with my computer running smoothly and fast one second then a few seconds later it runs slow. I have CPU-Z downloaded and noticed something strange. My system runs at 2300mhz just fine then one second it runs at 1700mhz. The only thing i noticed besides that is that the volatage for the CPU seems to change eratically (not by much, but by .2-.3 volts). Do you guys have ideas at all?

As for the CPU - what is a safe/good Temp for the E6400 to be running at? (idle/and under load).

Please let me know. Thanks
Der Meister
2007-04-09T20:27:08Z
go into the bios and change the multiplier on the cpu to 9
ccfc1986
  •  ccfc1986
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-04-10T21:25:55Z
OKay i will do that and see if that helps me out. Do you have any ideas as to where in my BIOS that setting would be. I know i have to make my settings into Manual but any ideas what kinda section it would be under? Thanks once again for your time.

I just also noticed that when the speed decreases the multiplier also decreases from 8x to 6x ... so that could be the obvious problem, does that make any diff to what i need to do? Thanks!
ccfc1986
  •  ccfc1986
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-04-11T04:00:30Z
Here is a image of my memory timings (they arent configured right i know - i cant find anywhere as to what all the numbers in my BIOS settings should be... nor do i know where to find the info... any ideas/help would be lovely...thanks.

This next image is the problem im having with my CPU. It is not constantly running with multiplier 6x and running at 1600 mhz when it should be running at 8x? with 2300mhz? Please let me know what the heck i can do to fix this problem. I know one person said make the mult. 9x but i can only make it 6-8x in the BIOS. (Im assuming i need to fix my ram timings etc before this CPU problem can be fixed??) should i just give up and try calling ASUS for support? Any ideas once again...thanks all.
rodneystar
2007-06-05T04:28:21Z
looksa like it's some kinda power manager thing on your motherboard that throttles back to save power when idle.

Run two prime95s or something that will use 100% CPU and look at cpu-Z, if the fsb stays at 270 and multiplier at 8 without moving while it's running then that's the case and nothin to worry about it's just savin you pennys.

However since you are overclocking even just a bit it's a good idea to turn all of that kind of stuff off if possible to take some strain off the chipset. Hope that helps
larac
2007-06-05T04:34:51Z
Isn't this part of the new intel power and heat management stuff? Demand based management or something?

Some of my dual and quad core Xeons drop down a couple of notches when they are not under load. For example the X5355 which is a 2.66Ghz quad core part, will drop down to 2.00Ghz when there is no load.

It should go back up to full speed when you load it up.
Der Meister
2007-06-05T05:13:44Z
My mistake i believe the 6400 can only got to X8 on the multiplier... the ram looks fine, the only thing i would suggest to look at it the voltage on the ram in the bios and make sure its set to some where from 1.8-2.0v that will give you the optimum voltage for the ram.