sboxer18
  •  sboxer18
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-03-06T15:27:29Z
I recently decided to upgrade from my P4 2.53 (533MHz) to a P4 Prescott 3.4 (800 Mhz). I have (had) Abit IS7-E2 motherboard and after checking for compatability did not hesitate to swap processors. After the swap the system posted and a few seconds later system shut down. Even though I did reset the CMOS I did not even get a post with my old processor. Does anyone know if the mobo is fried along with the CPU and memory or just the mobo? Thanks for the info.
xtremeskier97
2007-03-07T01:02:22Z
More than likely just the motherboard...but only way to tell is to test with other know working parts..and then test your parts on a known working board.
BebeX
2007-03-12T12:40:00Z
probably a FSB issue- are you sure you reset CMOS properly? i had a similar problem when upgrading from a 533MHz FSB Celeron to an 800MHz FSB Prescott a couple of years ago- turned out i needed a new MoBo as the one i had didn't support 800MHz FSB, but apparently yours does, so i'm not sure what the problem is...what about the PSU? definitely sufficient power to run that greedy Prescott?
sboxer18
  •  sboxer18
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-03-13T22:01:55Z
I am pretty sure I reset CMOS properly. I even took the battery out for about an hour. I now think the reason why I fried my MoBo has to do with the voltage settings. I don't think the ABIT's IS7-E2 can function with 90nm CPU's, it was designed for 130nm process. Hence the voltage settings are different. I ordered a new MoBo from MSI (Neo-2 Platinum Ed) and, hopefully, it will post. I am just concerned about the CPU and memory which may have gotten fried in the process. Also I have an Antec 500 Watt PSU, so it should, in theory, be able to handle Prescott (hopefully).