Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline iwannabuild  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:03:40 AM(UTC)
iwannabuild

Groups: Registered

Hey guys. I Just came across this site and these forums, and both have been extremely helpful.

I am tired of the whole pieced together HP, Compaq, etc scene and want to get my own rig pieced together relatively soon.

Here is what I'm looking at getting:

MOBO - Asus Striker Extreme Socket 775 nVidia nForce 680i Chipset Dual-Channel DDR2 533/667/800 Support Core 2 Duo Processor

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66 GHz (1066MHz) 4MB L2 Cache Socket 775 Processor

CASE - Thermaltake Xaser Tsunami VA3000BWA Aluminum Home Theater Tower (Black-Mirror Coating) w/ Window

GPU - Asus EN8800GTX/HTDP/768M nVidia GeForce 8800GTX Chipset (575MHz) Shader Clock (1350MHz) 768MB (1.8GHz) PCI-Express Graphic Card 128 Stream Processor Shader Model 4.0 2x Dual-Link DVI-I HDTV TV-Out Support HDCP DirectX 10 SLI-Ready

HARD DRIVE - (2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA NCQ 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache (OEM)

RAM - Corsair XMS 2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 Matched Pairs 2GB kit (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 240-pin Dual Channel Memory

DRIVES - (2) x Lite-On SHM-165H6S 16X DVD-Writer, Black, LightScribe, W/Software, OEM

POWER SUPPLY - Thermaltake Toughpower (W0131RU) 850W ATX 12V V2.2 Quad SLI Ready Power Supply Modular Cables 140MM Active PFC

That's about the gist of things. I am considering adding another 8800GTX and running SLI in a few months once my money situation gets back to normal after this dent lol. Anyways I was just hoping you guys could maybe take a glance and let me know what you think and if you see any potential problems at all. I think the 850W power Supply is a little much right now but with the possibility of SLI in the future I don't wanna sell my system too short on power for future upgrades. Also, the Thermaltake case comes with its own fans, should I use those or switch them out for something else?

So if you could drop me a line and let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback I'm more then happy to listen. This is a first time build for me so I am open to any suggestions you guys have. Thanks in advance guys!
Offline ice91785  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:31:48 AM(UTC)
ice91785

Man

Looks like a system that will have to be reckoned with -- nice build

The ONLY thing I can think of here is that you could possibly take a step back on your CPU to the E6600; everything is the same with it as the E6700 but a little lower clock (and you can always learn to overclock )

But like I said, very impressive build
Offline shocktech  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:33:16 PM(UTC)
shocktech

Well, if you can afford that, that's awesome but I really do think you could cut down on a couple things and lose little to no performance at all. Like ice has said I think you should also go with the E6600 for the same reasons, and since your buying from Canada Computers I would recommended this memory from OCZ

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011680&cid=RAM.475

It's still as fast, 2GB, good quality with OCZ and it's a bit cheaper. Also, if you've read the stickied power supply thread in the power supply section, I don't think your going to need 850W to power your beast, I would go with Corsair's 620W or OCZ's GameXStream 600W; both have enough wattage 12V rail ratings and will suffice more then enough.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010882&cid=PS.808

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010075&cid=PS.808

The rest of the components look great. Again, I'm just trying to help you save a bit of money buy not buying somewhat "unneccesarily"
expensive components. Looks like it's going to be one heck of a rig.
Offline iwannabuild  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:30:15 PM(UTC)
iwannabuild

Thanks for the tips from both you guys. I think im going to go for the E6600 and eventually try and overclock that baby (1st time overclocker too so it may take a while to built up the confidence lol)

Also I think the idea of getting something a little less in terms of my PSU. Looking at it now, 850w is probably a little much considering how little the new Intel cpu's require in power consumption.

ANy other suggestions from anyone at all?
Offline Nerts  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:22:23 PM(UTC)
Nerts

Overall it's a nice build, i would suggest you make it very quite too since you're not going to be playing games all the time. so here are a couple suggestions

This as a PSU

These fans are super quiet

And then buy a high end cpu heatsink, the only thing is with that mobo you'll have to be careful what you buy since the heat pipes on it are pretty tall. if the ninja will fit then go for it. As for the video card i don't know what coolers out there will fit it if any yet.