archangle1981
2006-11-20T17:47:27Z
I want to OC the shizzle outta whichever intel chip i get from the above. there is 15 pounds difference between the two chips. Will i see a large performance / lower temp difference between the two of them?

they are both 2.8 Ghz rated

thoughts?

thanks

Ronan
recoveringknowitall
2006-11-20T18:03:09Z
The 65nm 915 may OC better, but if I'm not mistaken the 915 doesn't have Intel's virtualization technology or VIIV as it's branded. It's a trivial feature in my oppinion so if the 820 is at least 20-30 bux cheaper go for that, if not go with the 65nm chip. They both get pretty hot even @ stock speeds so get a good cooler like the Zalman 9500 or the easiest liquid cooling system around called the aquagate mini from CoolerMaster. They have 2 versions: 1 with an 80mm fan on a smaller radiator and 1 with a 120mm fan on a larger radiator. Obviously if your case has no 120mm fans and/or mounts for 120mm fans then you'd have to go with the 80mm version which would probably be sufficient up to 4000mhz. OCs beyond 4000mhz may produce more heat than the smaller radiator can adequately dissipate.
archangle1981
2006-11-21T07:16:03Z
on that topic which cpus offer the virtualisation techs? is it only the conroe cores?
Reason I think i want to go intel chip is because of the major OC ability of them, plus the fact that i've just gotten a 'free' 7600GT AGP and I dont really wanna spennd another 200 quid on a new PCI-E graphics card and DDR2 RAM. I'm really trying to upgrade on as a tight a budget as poss... (who isnt).

I'm not set on the intel chip as either way im gonna have to buy a new mobo. I can get an AGP DFI board for 30 quid and still keep all my other components. So for 130 i could get a new cpu/mobo/zalman cooler and be back at the 50fps+ @ 1024x768 on all current games...

The 7600GT combined wth a new CPU of say pentium D / whatever AMD chip can OC to equivalent performance will work for me, however if i could get the virtualisation as well that would be a bonus...

any thoughts / recommendations on that?!

thanks

Ronan