Falfa
  •  Falfa
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-10-18T08:28:48Z
Hi all,

First time poster here.

I've recently treated myself to an upgrade and I'm eager to get building.

Problem is that I am using the same case as my existing computer and am worried that I am going to waste my time sticking all the bits in only to have it not work. I bought the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Gigabyte GA-945P-S3
ATI Radeon x1900 xtx 512
2GB DDRII 667 Ram

Everything aside from the graphics card has arrived, which will be with me this coming Monday hopefully. My concern is that I can find no reference to the graphics capabilies of the motherboard. Is it going to work if I stick it all in and add the card later?

My current rig has an AGP card so I can't use it.

All the best.

Falfa
Dave_HH
2006-10-18T11:19:09Z
Hi Falfa,

First, welcome to the forum! We hope you'll hang with us here for a while.

Honestly, I would have gone for the 965 version of that Gigabyte board however, everything you listed above should work fine. The 965 chipset is just a newer version of Intel's chipset and you could have even gotten a 975X board with dual PCI Express slots for future expansion. Of course these both cost a bit more money I'm sure.

Regardless, looks like everything you listed above will work all happy together.
Falfa
  •  Falfa
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-10-18T14:09:41Z
Thanks for replying!

I was close to getting the 965 board but my budget just could not stretch to the extra 30 and I got a package deal of processor and motherboard. I'll got for a better board next year as I plan to make another system for my girlfriend, I'll donate the 945 to her and get something really snazzy. I want to go the Raid way so when 500gb HDDs come down in price I'll upgrade the board at the same time as buying a couple of those

I'm relieved I don't have to wait for the graphics card and I can get motoring on this right now!

I'll be back... and with improvements.

All the best.

Falfa
Covert_One24
2006-10-18T14:49:51Z
well hold up. if you have a agp video card right now it will not work in your new system. since your new system is pci-express and your current video card thast u already have is agp and those are not backwards compatible.
Elsparrow
2006-10-18T15:27:18Z
Falfa mate, don't build the system yet....

cos you won't be able to see anything if you can't plug in a monitor....
Covert_One24
2006-10-18T15:48:53Z
lol thats wut im saying. i think he misunderstood davo when he said that everything will work alright. everything except the ur current video card
Freeman
2006-10-18T15:51:15Z
As above, you either need built-in video, which you don;t have, or a PCI-E card, which you also don't have.
Falfa
  •  Falfa
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-10-19T07:46:06Z
The AGP card is in my old system and I know I can't use it.

I have ordered an ATI xt1900 xtx which is PCI-Express but I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

It was a mistake to start anyway as my PSU has a 20 pin cable to the motherboard and the new motherboard has a 24 pin connector, I have just ordered an adapter. but that'll take a few days to arrive.

So its lying in bits anyway as I cannot be bothered building the old system again. Hopefully the graphics card and adapter will arrive on Monday.

Drum my fingers till then.

Falfa
Elsparrow
2006-10-19T13:34:21Z
Erk, I don't really advise the adapter mate, known a few systems go bang via that route.

Would of been better with a new 24 pin PSU :S
Falfa
  •  Falfa
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-10-20T08:48:17Z
I was begining to think that as I left work last night. So on my way home I noticed a computer parts shop and popped it. I picked up a Q-Tek 550w for 25 ($40) which should do the trick.

Gonna look for a groovy cooling system nexy month as I have four Sata drive that'll contribute a great deal to the temperature. Think one of these water cooling systems should be fitting. But need to do some reading.
Elsparrow
2006-10-20T08:54:22Z
Q-Tec are about as safe as the adapter mate.

Lil bit more research should be put into PSU's, that Q-Tec goes, kiss the PC bye is the chances.

You wanna be spending about 40-50 GBP on a PSU by Antec, Seasonic, Enermax or Tagan.

My 420W Tagan was about 58GBP
Falfa
  •  Falfa
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-10-20T10:25:14Z
I had a read at a few reviews of the Q-tek when buying for my old PC and they were all favourable. The Q-tek in my last system did well, thats why I bought the brand again. But I'll price your suggested brands and see what I can muster.
Elsparrow
2006-10-20T11:32:55Z
Jordan is the PSU king, he'll always recommend seasonic due to their low noise output.

Never heard anything good about Q-tec, got one in my first ever system, the rails jumped a bit even when idle.
Falfa
  •  Falfa
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-10-21T10:51:05Z
Hey,

Well I took your advice and now have a nice little SeaSonic 600 sitting in there. (My kid won't eat this week but she'll understand in years to come)

I've stuck it all in and am looking forward to my graphics card arriving in the next couple of days.

I couldn't resist hitting the power button just to make sure I'd connected everything correctly. Core 2 Duo's fan spun up for a second then stopped. I watched for a second and turned it off. The fan spun again for a second then slowed. No alarming smells so I'm sure it's all good in there.

I've heard the stock fans are a little wonky but then I remember reading that fans sometimes work in moderation and it'll probably kick in during times of heavier processing.

Should I be optimistic? Or should I ... replace the fan now. Something I was planning on doing next over Xmas.