giantjoebot
2006-09-27T08:50:03Z
Even though Intel has been using DDR2 for a while now, it has just recently become the new standard when AM2 came out. DDR2 has little advantage over DDR1, except that it allows for larger capacities, but those capacities have yet to really become available, and why should they. There is little to no need for larger capacities at this time. It won't be until a while after Vista comes out that I see the need for larger capacity RAM. With DDR3 fast approaching, not too long after Vista, it looks to me like DDR2 will have a short time on the market as the standard for memory. By the time the need arises for larger capacities, DDR2 may be obsolete. Unless DDR3 uses the same slots as DDR2, and most DDR2 systems will be compatible with DDR3, but according to this article at X-bit Labs DDR3 will not be compatible with DDR2 slots. Even this article that was mentioned by Dev2, which states that AM3 will be capatible with DDR2, but not on the same motherboard, it does not state that AM2 will be compatible with DDR3. I also found an article which states that Intel knew that DDR2 would be short lived. In some of the stuff that I read on DDR2 it states that DDR2 and DDR3 are expected to coexist for a year after DDR3's release, but it seems to me that it will be an even shorter period of time due to the short period in which DDR2 has been around, and the fact that AMD also plans on releasing AMD3 shortley after Intel releases there DDR3 based systems. And thats why I'm not going to another upgrade tell after DDR3 comes out.
gsxr600k1
2006-09-27T10:31:30Z
thank you for the information. i think that I shall wait to see what happens

SAT 4-ever
imAcpufan
2006-09-27T11:57:53Z
It's too bad that the manufacturers do this. It's great that computer technology evolves - I mean, who doesn't love faster ram, cpus and videocards...but I just wish they had a better way of implementing it.
andy04
2006-09-27T14:04:22Z
I think its just the next step in evolution... These days hardware is changing too fast... DDR2 has been around for around 1.5 years and stay the leader for the next 6 - 9 months, thats like more than two year. When I say leader I mean, and as you mentioned it has a very "Little advantage" over DDR but the point is - it still "HAS A ADVANTAGE". So from DDR you go to DDR2, stay around for 2 - 2.5 years then you get DDR3... a perfect evolutionary process... Just because the loosers at AMD coundnt embrace it does not mean that it was not a good technology. They just didnt have resources to move to DDR2... And then, DDR3 will be here soon but DDR2 will still stay around for another 1 or 2 years... PC manufacturers dont move to all new tech PCs that soon...

RDRAM or Rambus would be a tech that was shortlived or was a flop, not DDR2. 184 PIN DDRs would have had a short life too if the AMD ppl had it in them and moved to DDR2. Its life span was increased by AMD's failure.
giantjoebot
2006-09-27T17:34:26Z
But there really isn't enough of an advantage to justify DDR2. It seems almost loke it was just a gimick. There really isn't any large capacity moduels out, and there is little to no boost in performance. Here is a quote from one of the articles.
quote:

According to the insider, Intel always planned DDR2 to quickly fade away from the market, so the company wont be in a shock if they have to move to DDR3 or XDR in the near future. In fact, that was Intels plan all along, since DDR2 was a poor architecture to begin with.
Covert_One24
2006-09-27T18:03:43Z
just because intel said something doesnt mean its bad.... DDR2 has much more bandwidth and speed capacity over the DDR. And since AMDs AM@ processors support DDR2 and DDR3 on the same motherboard you wont have any compatibility issues. and being that intel planned something and said it was a dead end it has clearly been disproven that its not worth it. just look at the overclocking potential compared to regular DDR
giantjoebot
2006-09-27T18:35:07Z
AMD3 processors do not support DDR2 and DDR3 on the SAME motherboard. It suppose to support both, but on different motherboards.
quote:

The most recent AMD roadmap is also very clear to state AM3 "supports either DDR2 SDRAM or DDR3 SDRAM, but not on the same motherboard."
Covert_One24
2006-09-27T18:38:24Z
yea i messed that up. AM2 motherboards will support AM3 processors. my bad on that.
SilverVenom57
2006-09-27T19:05:11Z
Umm...DDR2 offers bandwidth...which is what the Net Burst based Intel processors feed on, so for Intel, I think it was better, as w/ the memory going through the northbridge 1st, it kills the latency. So maybe only now were the timings, which have decreased. I mean DDR800 @ 3-2-2-6 stock isn't bad for DDR2... But anyways, DDR2 only just now came as a benifit to AMD, a small one, but it was a benifit, so this is why they only made the change now. Think about when the tech came out... DDR533 @ Cas 4. Not very impressive... And lower voltage. But I still love my "Baby" RAM sticks, that were from way back in the day.
giantjoebot
2006-09-28T02:45:55Z
I was really excited about the possiblity of AMD switching to DDR2 before they did, but by shortly after they did I heard about AM3 and DDR3. I wonder if DDR3 will be much of an advancement over DDR2 though. Who knows maybe I'm wrong, maybe DDR3 will be really expensive, and people will stick with DDR2 for a longer period.
recoveringknowitall
2006-09-29T02:19:28Z
Rule of thumb: Whatever the market will bear! If consumers jump on new technology in drones at it's onset, then hardware developers will continue to push the pace of progression.