cody6051
  •  cody6051
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-09-08T14:40:35Z
ok, i have never built a complete system, but i have upgraded and babied an archaic gateway p2 400mhz for 8 years....and it's time i moved on...
i know the basics, i think...but computer lingo isn't a strongpoint....
what i want is an upgradeable system, that won't be entirely outdated in a month, while not spending too much...and not too complicated to build...i know how to read directions and search the net for better drivers and manuals
not a big gamer..with exception of games like Civ4...who knows, i might play more if my system can handle it
i want to eventually...within a few months...have dual monitors....one for whatever, and the other for TV...
and just for you to start laughing now...i plan on using win2000 until upgrading to XP--which is a whole other different matter given home, pro, mce, 32, 64...and God knows what else..
anyway...this is what i've compiled...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor...re Processor - Retail
DFI INFINITY NF ULTRAII-M2 Soc...D Motherboard - Retail
OCZ S.O.E 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-...System Memory - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE WD25...0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
RAIDMAX Astro ATX-268WB Black ...Computer Case - Retail
Airnet APS500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 100 - 240V - OEM
ATI 100-436009 Radeon 9200 128...le Video Card - Retail
NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW ...ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM
SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-...odel DDU1615/B2s - OEM
just in case--NEC Black 1.44MB...odel FD1231H-302 - OEM
and finally, the tuner
ATI HDTV Wonder PCI TV Tuner Remote Control Edition

yea...i skimped on the vid card...i dont need to break the bank there
the whole thing so far is pushing 700 bucks...but i get a sneaky suspicion i need to buy more fans and cords...
i have a feeling you guys are going to tear this one apart...haha...
but i could use all the help i can get...
nelsoncp21
2006-09-08T20:06:58Z
well first off DON"T GET THAT PSU. if cheap is the name of the game here get a fortron psu. As far as vid card yeah you really under did it on that one. I'd say a 7600gs is a good buy for you and it will be quiet to boot since it looks like your building somewhat of a HTPC. for a hdtv tuner you should be looking at this. yes i kow it's expensive but that's what you want. you do realize the only HD content you can view is OTA right! IF not concerned with HD just get a hauppage pvr150 or something like that. It wouldn't hurt to find a better case that was a little quiter for a HTPC. something with 120mm fans prefereably 1 intake 1 exhaust.
M47msm
2006-09-09T08:09:34Z
I'm doing my first PC-build..what I did was to start slow..since there are so many "systems" inside the CASE/I just managed the COMPATIBILTY of the parts first..
A MOTHERBOARD and PROCESSOR selection was first........looking for my needs and prices are good anyway..I went w/the INTEL Brand...a BOXED Retail D915GAGL...which is a Pentium CPU board..but I switched to the New CPU...Celeron D(331).....because of its low price.....
Then the RAM....a Celeron D uses PC2700 DDR...RAM.....I went to the KINGSTON website for a selection....but only purchased the ONE-module....will get the second one when farther along on the BUILD....
I'm useing an OLD-PC-CASE.....a DELL Dimension 2350...it was my first PC...it was a Pentium 4 CPU...
So its fitted nicely with this NEW Board...and a POWER Supply from PC Power and COOLING....I stepped up the Power Supply for the new board....the DELL Case is kind on Part Numbers(PSU)....so a SILENCER 470....400+WATTS.....I'm not a GAMER...just a Digital Photography DVD-writer....
SOOOooo.........I did not purchase a SATA-drive....or a Operateing System.....or that second RAM-module.....and I had an old PC Case....and a TOSHIBA DVD-combo DRIVE to swap over to the new board.....that gives me a CD-ROM/FLOPPY Drive(to stash)in the closet.....
Now here's the PROBLEM.../////so far/////.....the FRONT PANEL Power SWITCH.....from my experiance is a MUST....
And the DELL Front Panel Power Switch has COLOR CODES not given in the INTEL Motherboard.....spec. sheet.....of course the LED's have your standard configuration....easy to see...or TEST....
How-ever......the SWITCH...which has two wires need some sort of explanation.....since a PIN-reassignment must be made to MATCH the INTEL Motherboard HEADER....>>needs a schematic VIEW of the DELL Switch(there is none).....
So...I'm actually stuck at this time on two wires for the MoBO-HEADER.....that's why I'm OUT-here...looking for ANSWERS...or PRODUCTS to CONNECT a Power Switch(ON/OFF)....
The Bare Bones seem alot LESS...compared to what I can build....and this is a real BUMMER...looking for a DARN-ON/OFF Sw......if there is a Product for the Front Control panel that POWERS-UP the PC with this Mobo...D915GAGL....I really need it...to continue....
I'll figure out something.
cody6051
  •  cody6051
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-09-09T14:29:58Z
thanks nelson

quote:

Originally posted by: nelsoncp21
well first off DON"T GET THAT PSU. if cheap is the name of the game here get a fortron psu. As far as vid card yeah you really under did it on that one. I'd say a 7600gs is a good buy for you and it will be quiet to boot since it looks like your building somewhat of a HTPC. for a hdtv tuner you should be looking at this. yes i kow it's expensive but that's what you want. you do realize the only HD content you can view is OTA right! IF not concerned with HD just get a hauppage pvr150 or something like that. It wouldn't hurt to find a better case that was a little quiter for a HTPC. something with 120mm fans prefereably 1 intake 1 exhaust.

the tuner will be the last hardware piece i'll buy, being that it's not essential..HDTV didnt even cross my mind..i just wanted to plug in my cox cable and watch tv on a 2nd monitor eventually...i'll look at tuners later on
which...to clarify, i'd need 2 vid cards to do that right?...which is why i was going for 1 cheap card now, and later getting a good one to go along...i think you're right though..i might as well step up now...and actually use one of the pci/16 slots...so...the 7600gs sounds fine
i've heard not to skimp on the PSU...so i was worried there anyway
problem is...i have no idea how to pick one...i just knew to go at least 500watts
after checking fortron...would 400 watts do for me?..saves 20 bucks..every little bit counts
and the case...pretty much the same boat as PSU...i just know i don't want or need all the crazy designs and lights...black, preferrably with side window--was my criteria..as well as cheapness...any suggestions?
thanks for your help
nelsoncp21
2006-09-11T21:10:19Z
As far as the tuner's go. Alot of HTPC builder's use 2 tuner's. 1 for sd and the other for hd. If your planning to hook up your pc to a Set Top Box you need to keep in mind that most cable companies use quam encoding for most if not all channels. You may want to visit a HTPC forums to get more details on this as far as your provider and your STB. This applies more to digital cable and hd than anything but do alittle research. I am not an expert on that feild. Also keep in mind if cable is via STB you will need an IR blaster to be able to change stations.
You do not need a second video card in order to run 2 displays.
Check the PSU guide in the PSU forums on how to chose a good PSU. It in no way is by looking at total wattage. efficiency and strong rails play a big part. there are also several good recomendations as far as brands go in there also. why not this PSU this psu .
This seems like a decent case. i haven't worked with it personally but it don't seem bad.Text
cody6051
  •  cody6051
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-09-15T13:20:50Z
thanks for the help
the tuner thing does look like it can get complicated...i'll do more research when i get to that point
i'm gonna go with the psu you mentioned, and this case. looks good, somewhat tooless, good airflow according to reviews
also decided on one single ocz gold gig memory, saves me from being stuck with 2 512's later...