Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bogusasa  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 11:44:21 AM(UTC)
bogusasa

Groups: Registered

I just read an article called XBOX 360 and PS3: Death to PC Gaming??
What do you guys think??
Offline pcthuglife  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 11:52:11 AM(UTC)
pcthuglife

when i modded my xbox and installed Linux on all of my PCs it was the end for me. hardcore pc gaming can be a very expensive hobby.
Offline Ne0rC  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 12:22:16 PM(UTC)
Ne0rC

They've been saying this every generation of Console games after the PS1.
Offline Der Meister  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 5:18:02 PM(UTC)
Der Meister

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
it will never happen, why? beacuse the Consoles are becoming pc's so it would be better if you called it death to what we know as console gaming
Offline entermymatrix03  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:12:15 PM(UTC)
entermymatrix03

^^ agreed. what you say is soooo true. my friend keeps saying his xbox 360 will blow my pc outta the water....yeah right. what a joke. he also says that he will never go to pc gaming. i told him that his xbox 360 and original xbox was a pc thrown into a microsoft case. i explained to him that the parts in it could be had off of newegg and thrown into a pc case and have better performance also. he got pissed and the conversation ended. i don't think pc gaming will ever die, its what started gaming and it will be the end of it imo.

also, i still like how microsoft says the xbox 360 has the most advanced graphics engine and card to ever come out.....have that not looked at the x850xt-pe or the new x1800's??? wtf are they smoking and how many consoles are they tring the sell??? lol. what a joke.
Offline pcthuglife  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:58:17 PM(UTC)
pcthuglife

quote:

i explained to him that the parts in it could be had off of newegg and thrown into a pc case and have better performance also

Riiiiight. Consoles have a proprietary GPU and bus structure that give them killer bandwith. There's no way you could beat an xbox's performance with similar parts in a PC. When's the last time you tried to game with a 700 MHz P3?

IMO pc gaming is already dead. Sure it doesnt seem like it to us. We're part of the 1% of the population who are considere pc enthusiasts. You gotta remember that a majority of the systems sold these days are either workstations or $500 Dells with onboard graphics.
Offline Der Meister  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 9:19:05 PM(UTC)
Der Meister

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
quote:

Originally posted by: pcthuglife
IMO pc gaming is already dead. Sure it doesnt seem like it to us. We're part of the 1% of the population who are considere pc enthusiasts. You gotta remember that a majority of the systems sold these days are either workstations or $500 Dells with onboard graphics.

I take it you didnt read my response did you... All the next gen consols are PC's, but there just not marketed as them.
Offline Ne0rC  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 9:22:59 PM(UTC)
Ne0rC

quote:

Originally posted by: pcthuglife
quote:

i explained to him that the parts in it could be had off of newegg and thrown into a pc case and have better performance also

Riiiiight. Consoles have a proprietary GPU and bus structure that give them killer bandwith. There's no way you could beat an xbox's performance with similar parts in a PC. When's the last time you tried to game with a 700 MHz P3?

They are also running at TV resoultion which is 480xcrap, and some of the bigger games actually start hitting frame rate problems.
Offline entermymatrix03  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 10:24:30 PM(UTC)
entermymatrix03

^^agreed again. if you took an xbox game you could run it on a pentium 3 chip pcthuglife.....BECAUSE THE XBOX CAN DO IT AND THATS ALL ITS MADE OF!!! have you never opened up a xbox? well i have. in fact mine is modded with a 120gb hdd and a mod chip, painted white, and the back fan was replaced with a 80mm fan. you said you opened yours also to mod it for linux. i have a 700mhz p3 and i guarantee with a 9600pro and it, you could play the games that the xbox offers at the same resolution which is 640x480 (856x480 if in progressive scan). i honestly think my old pc could do it.
Offline Russman113  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 11:33:14 PM(UTC)
Russman113

Actually I did a small test.. Kind of determines the crappy bandwidth that the xbox has... Get halo, and an alien out in the open, stand right above after you kill it. Keep shooting it, making the blood go all over the ground, within 15 secs of shooting, depending on what gun you use and the rate of fire, the amount of blood will have ur game lagging (while you look down at the blood of course). Go do the same thing for the PC, I guarentee youll never see an ounce of lag. Why? Because the pos card thats int he xbox is a geforce 3 with a couple of modifications.. not to mention the ram is only 256, or 128?

The only reason the Xbox handles them games at the resolution it does, is because unlike a PC its not running all the stuff in the background. Xbox dont have to run all the system stuff we do. Oh and the Graphics card being made for the Xbox, is alittle bit further ahead than the x1800xt.. Which is why its going to be the most powerful ATI card to date.. Also remember to, that all the games are going to be running at 4x aa and 8x af, with reso up to 1080p. So I mean its goin to be a pretty beefy console, I think graphics wise ps3 and x360 are gonna look the same, just have different games that are exclusive ...
Offline entermymatrix03  
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 11:42:01 PM(UTC)
entermymatrix03

i read that the card was weaker than a x850xt-pe. lol. who knows, all i know is that it IS NOT the most advanced graphics solution on the planet. its not the "end to all graphics technologies" MS is hyping it up to be. Russman you make good points that i forgot about. my pc right now has 28 processes running in the background when i play games. you have to worry about firewall and virus scanners also killing games. i don't because i turn them to only scan when i tell them to and my MS firewall is disabled and my other that i use isn't using many if any resources.

i also know what you are talking about with halo. lol. we beat an alien for awhile back in the day. when you look up the game turns to mush. its worse than a 386 trying to load up games from today. lol.
Offline Thunder Chunks  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2005 4:31:53 AM(UTC)
Thunder Chunks

Online console gaming is not what its cracked up to be. PC online gaming has always had a select audience. The 360 and PS3 may introduce new online gamers to the market, however that should only have a possitive effect on the online PC gaming market. Most of the next generation console users will already own a PC of varying speed/ quality, it may switch them on to what they have been missing.

Its been reported that the console version of COD2 will only allow 8 players online, where as the PC will remain at 64. Whats the more appealing online experience?

I will buy the 360 (yes Ive put a reserve down) and probably the PS3, but thats simply because I love gaming and gadgets (this is posted from a PSP, look Ive got a couple oh hours to kill). PGR on the 360 looks sublime for a release title and the online version appears to be very well thought out. Likewise I will be very interested to see how BF2 runs on a console. However, I'll still use my PC for CS sessions and by the sounds of it COD2 sessions as well.
Offline pcthuglife  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2005 9:05:51 PM(UTC)
pcthuglife

again, you guys represent the 1% of the population that are computer enthusiasts. well, hardware enthusiasts at least. computer gaming doesnt come close to the popularity of console gaming. sure, computer gaming will never be lost completely, but it will always be a niche market. So if youre talking in absolutes, no, pc gaming will never go away. If you're talking in relativity to the general gaming market, pc games represent a very small segment of that market.
Offline XaviarCraig  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2005 9:16:37 PM(UTC)
XaviarCraig

I find this really funny and interesting at the same time for the following reasons.

1. People kept saying PC gaming was going out in 1993-1995, even my dad and brother thought it was the end when SNES came out.

2. Certain games just CANT be played correctly without a mouse and keyboard.

3. Consoles are just computers designed for gaming.

4. More and more MMO games are coming out for PCes ONLY.

5. I just got a playstation 2 from a friend for 30$ a few months ago and I dont use it much.

My opinion: Neither is every going to win, some games are better on a PC, some games are better on a console. MMO, RPG, FPS, strategy, adventure games are best on a PC. Simulation, sports, arcade, platform games are best on a console. Take one or both and be happy.

EDIT: Some games can never work on a console. Half-Life, neverwinter nights, WarCraft III for example, How the F*** would you make mods/maps for them and put them up for download? To put it simply, its damn near impossible at the moment.
Before any of you dare say no body cares for that anymore, consider that there are still more than 20000+ players of the orginal Counter-strike on at any given time. And there are also more than 1000+ players of Neverwinter nights/Warcraft 3 still on at any given time.
What about Lan Parties aswell? People like to mix old and new games at those still. Last one I was at, was Counter-strike source(custom maps only) Half-life 2 (Unsteamed and modded) Starcraft(custom maps only) and finally a classic DOOM enhanced with ZDOOM and lots of WADs.

I know people who have had me build them PCs JUST for WarCraft and Diablo games. People still love PC games, and when they take a game from PC and make a console version of it, I hear none stop [censored]ing from several people about how much better the PC version was.
Offline Drago  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2005 10:18:49 PM(UTC)
Drago

quote:

you guys represent the 1% of the population that are computer enthusiasts

^^ Where the heck did you get that number? 1% my ass, dude this is not a gaming forum this is a hardware forum. There are billions of pc gamers out there. Go take a look at www.xfire.com and you will see that as of this moment they have 2,391,802 registered users. That isnt much for the world but most people that game dont use xfire. There are millons upon millons of people that are in clans for various games, and there are people that dont even belong to clans that play pc games.

quote:

computer gaming doesnt come close to the popularity of console gaming. sure, computer gaming will never be lost completely, but it will always be a niche market.

Well this is true and not depending on the age group you are talking about. If they are below 13 then they probably only play console games and that would be why consoles are so popular cause they are cheap and provide fun for kids. The PS2 and Xbox tend to give gameing to the teens, while nintendo mainly promotes games geared towards little kids. Now if you ask me most of the people that game on pc are older, but i know some 13 year olds that exclusively game on the PC. The people that are in their 20s will be the ones on the pc along with the older teens. I look as pc gaming as a step above the consoles cause you can do so much more with a pc than with some console.