Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline KePhi  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2001 1:23:29 AM(UTC)
KePhi

Groups: Registered

I have a slight situation, I ahev a Cable Modem, and my main w2k machine has to be set to dhcp to use it, I got a linksys cable router to install so I could connect my hub to it and have my other pc's access it. it doesnt work. How in the heck can I get all my comps on a network sharing this cable modem?
Offline BoNgBoNg  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2001 2:56:07 AM(UTC)
BoNgBoNg

okay...i am using a cable modem + router right now, so i know a bit (but my dad is the one really to ask)

first off - i;m not sure u can link a hub onto the router and it'll still work off the hub - the whole point of a router is such that the chip inside it will receive a permanent IP address from ur original cable modem and then assign new IP addresses for all the computers connected to the router - from an outsiders point of view all the comptuers hooked ontot he router are still on the same IP address btw. - >>> that's the bad bit, people won;t ee able top send u files directly after u;'ve used a router cause ur not on the ip address they are seeing

anyways = bascially u connect an extra network cable from ur cable modem output into the input hole of ur router. Then u would connect cables from ur output hole of ur router to the network cards in your computers. If u have everything set up properly - it should be done within 10minutes- cause Routers are quite intelligent
Offline kodger  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2001 5:26:44 PM(UTC)
kodger

Basically all you had to do was get another network card for the W2K machine and use it as the router (one card routes internally to the LAN and one card externally to the internet) and then run ICS (internet connection sharing).

Is the router you bought able to connect to your cable service? Or do you have to connect to the original cable modem with the router?

In assuming you can connect your new cable modem directly all you should have to do is set the external interface (the interface the cable modem was connected too) and then set the Linksys to DHCP on that interface. Then you can assign a static IP address to the internal interface (that connects to the hub). Of course then you connect your machines to the hub. Then set your machines to have the default gateway of the internal interface of the router. You will also have to set the DNS entries on your machines. I realize this is a little vague but I need to know if you have any idea of what I'm talking about or are lost....
Offline [mTo]Proton  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2001 11:58:17 AM(UTC)
[mTo]Proton

If I set up a LAN game, will the game showup automatically, w/o software, on another computer through my router?
Offline point  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2001 12:06:48 PM(UTC)
point

stop stop stop.

Ok. A cable modem router (like the one from linksys) is designed for exactly what kephi is doing.

Make sure it is setup like this.

Internet/Wall/Cable -> Cable Modem -> Cable Router -> Hub
But! With the cable modem connecting to the hub, you may need a cross-over cable instead of a straight through cable. Usually on your hub, (say an 8-port for example) port 8 has a button next to it where you can specify cross-over or straight through. Make sure you get a link light from the modem to the hub. If no light, then try a cross-over and look at the hub to see if you can specify.

This is my setup at my house

DSL -> DSL Modem -> DSL/Cable Router -> Cisco 1548M Switch 10/100 Netgear 8port Hub Computers

My neighbor and I share our dsl, so we have a switch to keep the traffic apart, and the hub is to hookup my computer, my girlfriends, and my laptop.

Between the dsl router and switch, we have to use a crossover, same with the switch to the hub.

Try that... make sure to get a link light. Any problems or questions, e-mail me
Offline kodger  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2001 8:32:45 PM(UTC)
kodger

Why double the cost of the cable modem/router.....
Offline [mTo]Proton  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2001 9:32:22 PM(UTC)
[mTo]Proton

I dont get it......
I have mine stup like the first one u said.
->cablemodem->routerMaybe the only reason my LAN games show up in the game menu is because I have a network in which I can transfer files between comps...
Offline ^Bad_Boy^  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2001 10:29:27 PM(UTC)
^Bad_Boy^

I also Prefer my 4-Port EtherFast Cable/DSL Router !!!
cool
Offline kodger  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2001 11:55:05 AM(UTC)
kodger

I'm saying why get a router when you can use one of your machines to do the same thing for the cost of a nic...
Offline ^Bad_Boy^  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2001 11:25:39 PM(UTC)
^Bad_Boy^

What do u mean??