Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline etsd311  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2001 2:34:33 AM(UTC)
etsd311

Groups: Registered

ARGH!!! i don't know what happened!! okay, here's the setups, my comp runs win2k and my sis' comp runs win98.

at one point i had both comps on a LAN that had file sharing and internet sharing...
i had to reinstall win2k on my system i little while ago and now neither file nor internet sharing work! i set them up the same way as last time too! this is so frustrating.

and my sis has a lot of stuff she wants to back up before she'll let me format and switch her over to win2k. in the mean time, i'd like to be able to setup the internet sharing at LEAST, that way i don't have to sign off when she wants to check email.

hope y'all can help. thanks.
Offline Golden Blood  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2001 11:05:30 AM(UTC)
Golden Blood

http://www.helmig.com/j_helmig/w2kicshi.htm

I have used this link to help me figure mine out before, it was one little thing, and I forget where it was, but when i followed it directly through it started working again. (that or i figured it out using ipconfig )

Try that link, I have had the same problem you have had when I reinstalled my 2k box, my wife's 2k box would no longer see the internet connection sharing.

Remember its important to use ipconfig in a dos mode, or winipcfg in the window mode, this will tell you your address and subnet mask.

I hope this helps
GB
Offline kodger  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2001 11:42:39 AM(UTC)
kodger

Which machine is the ICS host? Can you ping her machine???
Offline etsd311  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2001 3:49:03 PM(UTC)
etsd311

i'm logged in as Admin on the win2k setup. setting hers up as a client. it worked before. i'll try the link and get back to you guys. thanks!
Offline etsd311  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2001 6:37:54 PM(UTC)
etsd311

okay, i got ICS working! one more thing, my win2k comp. has access to the win98 comp now...but, my win98 comp. DOESN'T have access to the win2k comp. :confused:

when opening Network Neighborhood, both, win98 and win2k comps. show up, but when trying to access the win2k comp. says "the device does not exist on the network". :confused:

it's okay if this problem isn't fixed cuz i got ICS up like i wanted, it would just be nice to have LAN access on both ends, ya know?

thanks all who helped.
Offline kodger  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2001 6:39:56 PM(UTC)
kodger

Do you have anything shared on the W2K computer??? Sometimes winblowz 98 can be a little picky.
Offline Golden Blood  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2001 10:18:09 PM(UTC)
Golden Blood

Win98 does about as good of job in a small network as Microsoft does with customer satisfaction.

Win98 is very finkcy when it comes to being networked without a client logging it in (even when it does)

GB