Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JonS  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2001 8:26:36 PM(UTC)
JonS

Groups: Registered

...i have a linksys 4port cable/dsl router.. and it is great i love it... uhh only problem is.. i can't host alot of my games and play on a diff computer or host on a diff computer too:mad: ... cause it splits the ip... is there any way i can get around this? :confused: any help would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo appreciated.. thanx,
Jon
Offline Marco C  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2001 9:48:16 PM(UTC)
Marco C

Groups: Administrators, Editors, Moderator, Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Are you trying to host internet games, or play games on the different computers in your house?

If you're trying to host internet games, you have to do two things...

1) Get your external IP address. All of your internal address are probably 192.168.0.X, but your actual internet connection has it's own IP...you can usually find your external (actual) IP in one of your router's menu screens...

2) if your router has a built-in firewall, you've got to "poke holes in it". You've got to assign a default internal IP that will receive packets, or assign a port to each of the internal IPs you want to play games on...this too will be found in one of your router's menus.

If you're trying to play games on your computers connected through your router, make sure you've got the IPX/SPX protocol installed on your system, and make sure none of your systems are using the same IP (something I've seen these routers do).

Good Luck
Offline point  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2001 1:34:36 AM(UTC)
point

*crack knuckles* this may be a long post...

Ok. Linksys Routers do sort of a NAT (Network Address Translation) to be able to take 1 Public IP (assigned by your provider) and host up to 254 machines on the other side (in terms of 1 network broadcast ip, and 254 available ip's) [as long as you use a class c address. 192.168.x.x is the most popular that everyone uses... and 192.168.1.x is the default on linksys routers]

The linksys router acts as a firewall, blocking people out who should not be accessing internal computers that are initiating the network requests. This includes web servers, ftp servers, game servers, etc.

To get around this... What you need to do is designate one computer to be the host EVERY time... and assign them a static number... something like 192.168.1.2 This way, the number never changes and you never have to keep reconfiguring the computer. Now... once you assign that, I would put passwords on EVERY share you have. Because a step I will tell you how to use will put your computer OUTSIDE of the router and I take no responsibility if you get hacked/lose everything.

Don't use simple passwords either. At least 6 characters and both letters and numbers

Once you assign the host computer the 192.168.1.2 address, go into your linksys router (192.168.1.1) and select the DHCP tab. Set the starting number to .10 . This way, you have 8 available IP's to assign to whatever whenever you want and never worry about conflicting IP address's.

The reason I say 8 is because .1 is taken by the router, and .2 is taken up by the host computer. 10 - 2 = 8

Each new computer that connects to your router will now be assigned a sequential number after .10 if one is already taking that IP.

NOW! This is the step where we put your computer on the outside of the router. Go to your linksys router, (192.168.1.1) and select the advanced tab. Should be orange and the last tab on the right . You will change screens and be in a advanced screen that is somewhat worded bad. But that is ok. Select the DMZ host tab. What that means is this: DeMilitarized Zone. DMZ.
Change the .0 ip to .2 and hit Apply. That now has made your computer have NO, and I repeat, NO firewall protection. If someone was to scan your DSL IP block, they will see your computer. Again, password and patch as much as you can if its windows 2000. Disable all guest accounts, and put passwords on your administrator account. you should now be ble to host games on that computer and both sides will be able to connect. your internal computers and outside computers.

To get your real IP, select "Setup" tab if you are still in advanced (it will be grey/white) and select status. It will tell you your LAN (your house) and your WAN (your public DSL ip)

Tada!

Any questions or problems, PM me and i'll lend a hand!
Offline kodger  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2001 2:14:53 PM(UTC)
kodger

Well said!!

It is nice to use the "host" machine as Linux...that way you have more control over what's going on and can install some really nice (and free) software firewalls. If you are not familiar with Linux then it is not nice!