Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline m0rphr3us  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2004 1:53:55 AM(UTC)
m0rphr3us

Groups: Registered

yea i know this is a dumb question but wha exactly is a benchmark and i saw sumtin about them n sum1 said sumtin about 3d bench or sumtin... what programs?

lol
Offline SS Joe  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2004 2:17:05 AM(UTC)
SS Joe

Benchmarks are tools(software) that people use to get an idea of their systems performance. There are all types of benchmarks out there... Ones that test Office Apps, Ones that test game performance, and some that just test individual hardware performance. One thing you have to remember though, is these benchmarks don't always give a 100% accurate idea of how well your system performs, but it's close and it's great to compare what kind of results you get to other people. Some common benchmarks are...

3DMark2001SE - Old, but still a good benchmark. Tests Video Game performance using DirectX 7 and DirectX 8.

3DMark2003 - Newer benchmark that mostly tests your Video Card. Uses DX8 and DX9. Like 2001SE, this is also used with video game performance in mind.

PCMark2002 - This is for testing your CPU/Ram/Hard Drive.

PCMark2004 - I'm guessing it's similar to PCMark2002, but i'm not sure, I've never used it.

All of those above can be found at www.futuremark.com

Aquamark 3 is a DX8 and DX9 Benchmark that tests your Video Card and CPU. Another Video Game Benchmark. THis can be found at www.aquamark3.com

SiSoftware's Sandra: This is a great program that allows you to test almost any part of your computer. You can select individual tests to use, and this is also a great program for finding out info on your hardware. Unlike the benchmarks above, this doesn't give you a score based on how your system performed. Unlike with PCMark2002, which say just gives you a score for your Ram speed, Sandra will tell you how many MB/s your ram can transfer. The homepage is.... http://www.sisoftware.net/
Offline DarkkMage  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2004 2:23:43 AM(UTC)
DarkkMage

Hey Morpheus you aren't the same Morhp from MonsterFrag, are you?

-A.