earthwriter
2016-10-18T04:37:35Z
Wow I'm surprised no one has posted here yet, since it's the latest tech craze. Has anyone here experienced VR and what was it like? Did it improve your life in any way? Did it inspire you to try and learn new things? I've read about it and watched videos about it and I'm very curious.
Blackhawk8100
2016-10-18T20:50:40Z
This forum section is brand new, so GG on first post in this section!
earthwriter
2016-10-30T03:03:42Z
VR looks like a real awesome innovative idea and the more I hear about it, the more intrigued I am. I wonder how it feel to wear all that gear, but it does seem really cool. It's not in my budget right now, but I'll just imagine it.
ottoyu34
2017-04-23T02:35:35Z
I built a machine pretty much dedicated to run the Oculus VR headset at my workplace. We give clients walkthrough demons in architecture buildings, it gives a great sense of space and the level of immersion is unbeatable.
GnuHard
2017-08-22T21:45:16Z
VR is starting to catch my interest. I just read that the AMD RX 480 is a good beginner on-a-budget VR-capable cards, as of 6 months ago, and thought to swing by HH's forum. I Also read today that HTC is dropping the price on their Vive by $200. Amazon has the HTC Vive System at $599.

Anyway, I'm glad AMD is in the VR mix too, but I won't be investing in VR gear anytime soon. I don't think I'll be interested enough until I start seeing original open source VR alternative apps/games. Reddit/Vive, reports Github is hosting SteamVR-for-Linux and there are also reports that Steam beta and SteamVR beta are up and running on Linux Mint, as of 4 months ago.

toby5
2017-08-23T02:02:45Z
If you want to check out games with VR then something like this might interest you.

Its a VR arcade. You can also switch it to watch movies in different formats as well as other things.

VR is still a way aways from being super fun but boy that looks like a lot of fun to do though.

GnuHard
2017-08-24T20:46:36Z
Thanks for the link, toby5. This confirms that I have lots of time to work on a VR rig. I've used MAME/ROMs for decades. I think the VR-heads that survive will be the ones with the smoothest camera work. Nothing worse than being jerked around by jerky cameras and. Some of the best Quake-casts are the icemen: the ones that keep it smooth and move like they are on ice.
tredeuce
2017-08-25T19:01:20Z
Originally Posted by: earthwriter 

VR looks like a real awesome innovative idea and the more I hear about it, the more intrigued I am. I wonder how it feel to wear all that gear, but it does seem really cool. It's not in my budget right now, but I'll just imagine it.

I am imagining VR for the VR experience and got a good laugh. Thanks! I do think that once the hardware price comes down and more people can afford it, the better the whole experience will be for everyone.

toby5
2017-08-25T20:22:24Z
I for one am a little surprised by the whole VR resurgence. The technology was gaining traction in the 90s and just kind of petered out. As a whole right now it could very well do the same thing unless people really get on board with it. That means they would have to utilize everything from apps to games and on and on and on. Time will tell.
tredeuce
2017-08-26T22:06:51Z
I think that movies were made for VR, even if the VR was used to get rid of all the distractions between me and watching the movie at home.
Wildcard1978
2017-08-28T18:48:44Z
Haven't had the chance myself extremely outs my budget