Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sim_8_3  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:25:17 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
After this whole mess with batteries exploding in both Samsung and Apple smartphones, not as often but it has happened including one Iphone 6 "iPhone explodes and catches fire in a student’s back pocket", I realize that it's the non user swappable battery that's exploding in both the newer models of both companies phones, Samsungs Galaxy 4 and 5 both have user swappable batteries but the 6 and up are just like most of Apples phones the battery can not be easily replaced by the ownder, the problem with the older 4 and 5 is they don't offer the features of the newer models, but knowing what I know I can't bring myself to consider upgrading, would you trade newer features for potentially a phone that could catch fire?
Offline fortunz  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 10:14:45 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Just skip Samsung for a company that still offers replaceable batteries and still get the newest stuff. Like LG. Can't imagine why anyone would stick with Samsung after their QA failed to that extent? What's that premium pricing for if your phone isn't even safe? It's the sort of crap you'd more likely expect from some cheap knockoff electronics than something you paid $800 for.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 10:35:27 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Editors, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I'd still go with Samsung, solely because they probably now have a more rigorous testing regime then they did before. I've always looked at Samsung's phones and liked what I saw, and a hiccup, however vigorous a hiccup, shouldn't stop anyone from buying tech. There are always gonna be risks, remember the hoverboards and their batteries exploding? That whole fiasco was forgotten about and people still buy the boards. I suppose though if we want to talk about competitors, how about that Google Pixel eh? It is pretty nifty...
Offline Sim_8_3  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 12:41:32 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Originally Posted by: fortunz Go to Quoted Post
Just skip Samsung for a company that still offers replaceable batteries and still get the newest stuff. Like LG. Can't imagine why anyone would stick with Samsung after their QA failed to that extent? What's that premium pricing for if your phone isn't even safe? It's the sort of crap you'd more likely expect from some cheap knockoff electronics than something you paid $800 for.

I can't complain about the Galaxy S4 it was my father-in-laws and he upgraded his so he gave it to us, I'm not a cell network subscriber and only use these devices for Wifi and VR Headset, so I couldn't see myself paying even $150 for one of these phones, of course as a cell subscriber you get discounts for 2 year contracts but that aint me I aint no cell phone using texting driver anymore and good thing too because I would be tempted to text while driving, I'm doing a online traffic school right now, (I got a little speeding ticket, not my fault) that consists of a texting while driving section and it's very sobering, there is one part where these kids all admit to texting while driving and then are introduced to a 21 year old woman, who was coming home from her graduation with her parents in her car and a driver was texting and caused a semi truck to swerve and hit her car missing the texters and it killed both her parents and left her fighting for her life in the hospital for 2 months and another 2 in rehab and she didn't have her father to walk her down the aisle when she got married. You should see how the mood changes on these kids crying and young adults, tears well up in their eyes, some say they will never look at a cell phone again others say they will never text again, talk about Scared Straight! Here in Oregon if you even hold your cell in your hand while driving even if stopped at a red light you can be fined up to $500 and if you kill someone while texting you can be prosecuted and go to prison, it's just not worth the gamble, sorry I had to get this off my chest it was just too much too bear.sad Anyhow I think you get where I'm coming from.

Edited by user Friday, December 30, 2016 12:45:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Sim_8_3  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 12:44:52 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
I'd still go with Samsung, solely because they probably now have a more rigorous testing regime then they did before. I've always looked at Samsung's phones and liked what I saw, and a hiccup, however vigorous a hiccup, shouldn't stop anyone from buying tech. There are always gonna be risks, remember the hoverboards and their batteries exploding? That whole fiasco was forgotten about and people still buy the boards. I suppose though if we want to talk about competitors, how about that Google Pixel eh? It is pretty nifty...

You have a good point there, it usually takes some kind of bad PR to get a company to take some kind of action, I too like Samsung but then again I'm a sucker for Apple, yes the risks are there when you are dealing with these made in China products and batteries, I have to wonder if they were being made in the U.S. or some other country that has more rigorous standards if they would still have the same problem?

Offline fortunz  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 1:09:08 AM(UTC)
fortunz

If your budget is $150, you're definitely not in the market for cutting edge samsung. I think that's what they charge for packaging.

There are semi-affordable brands though. Huawei, Xiaomi and Blu. In the secondary market you could look at something nicer like a 32GB Nexus 6 or a contemporary, though that's only a year newer than your S4.

Offline Sim_8_3  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 1:58:03 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

If your budget is $150, you're definitely not in the market for cutting edge samsung. I think that's what they charge for packaging.

There are semi-affordable brands though. Huawei, Xiaomi and Blu. In the secondary market you could look at something nicer like a 32GB Nexus 6 or a contemporary, though that's only a year newer than your S4.

Well if I had a budget for a new phone they that would pretty much be it, but seriously $150 just for packaging? What's it shipped in gold leaf? Right now what I got to use is pretty much it till either things improve for me or one lands on my head lol.

Edited by user Friday, December 30, 2016 1:58:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Sim_8_3  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 2:00:14 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Oh and just re reading what you said, at least LG offers a newer affordable phone with a modular battery that hopefully won't blow up.

Offline fortunz  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 9:22:50 AM(UTC)
fortunz

Originally Posted by: Sim_8_3 Go to Quoted Post
Well if I had a budget for a new phone they that would pretty much be it, but seriously $150 just for packaging? What's it shipped in gold leaf? Right now what I got to use is pretty much it till either things improve for me or one lands on my head lol.

Well not seriously, I was making light of Samsung for being over-priced. My past two devices, Nexus 4 and 6 were had for less than half the price of similar Samsung hardware, and though I shopped the sales pretty aggressively, there's almost always more bang for your buck with another brand. At the lower end I already mentioned a few, but OnePlus and ZTE have higher end offerings that are 95% of the value at 2/3s the cost. Moto isn't a hard bargain brand, but they often offer more bang for the buck as well. The Moto Z for example technically retails for $700, which is no bargain, but it's been 'on sale' at Amazon for over a month for $500 and rivals the Galaxy S7 easily. What it lacks in rounded glass, it makes up for in Motomods for a lot less. Verizon has put the Moto Z on sale for half that repeatedly this winter.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 9:27:24 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I have a Blu phone, and it works pretty well actually. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it does the job. There is no NFC or gyroscope or anything, but it has a big screen so I can read all the comments :P
Offline digitaldd  
#11 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 10:19:28 AM(UTC)
digitaldd

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Think about this with all the negative fanfare from the note 7 fiasco you know Samsung is going to Quality Control the hack out of their next phone.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#12 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 12:53:26 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

See, digital agrees! lol
Offline ottoyu34  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 7:29:32 PM(UTC)
ottoyu34

Canada

I always tell people there are always risk with batteries especially when they are packed in tight packages and need to provide as much power as possible. Big companies tend to get a lot of attention when their products fail and media love to put the spotlight on it asap. But in reality, batteries has risk and have been exploding since Nokia days.