Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sim_8_3  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:49:46 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
So I have mentioned in the past that I have the dreaded Nvidia 8600 M GT in my Asus C90S, and that the card has pretty much crapped out and is on life support, people actually bake it in an oven and give it life a little bit longer, no joke look at this! Nvidia Baked Every time it freezes up,it artifacts and It needs to reflowed to get it running again, in case you don't know why that happens it's due to the heat up cool down cycle and how it causes the BGA to desolder and reflowing it causes to solder back, it's a real pain and replacing the card with another defective card is pointless. Anyway I never asked this question, after all I have done to insure cooling is working including making sure the 4 mini fans and free of dust and dirt and spinning as well creating extra air flow, this card is running on and average of 73C if I try to play ay games that's high demand on graphics it will run close to 90C! Lately all I can is maybe play something like Counter Strike Condition Zero or Halo Combat Evolved and it will run around 82C 83C, if I try to run MSI Afterburner it will eventually freeze up is this due to the card being pretty much crap at this point? Any thoughts besides you gotta get a decent PC, I'm trying right now all I can do is hope to win one or get the dough together to build one.

Thanks

Edited by user Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:54:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:12:21 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I would not reccomend baking a card, it can screw you over even worse. You probably have a dying card, and I'd say if you can spend ~$250 you can get a decent PC. Intel's integrated graphics have gotten pretty good. After that, save up for a GPU. Just kinda depends on what you wanna do though!
Offline digitaldd  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 11:52:51 AM(UTC)
digitaldd

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
If i recall correctly with the whole baking to reflow solder thing you needed a very solidly temperature controlled oven to do it properly. A lot of the older Mac laptops that had Nvidia graphics were susceptible to this issue as well.
Offline Sim_8_3  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:59:08 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
I would not reccomend baking a card, it can screw you over even worse. You probably have a dying card, and I'd say if you can spend ~$250 you can get a decent PC. Intel's integrated graphics have gotten pretty good. After that, save up for a GPU. Just kinda depends on what you wanna do though!
I tried it once and like the guy in the thread in the overclockers forum it got too hot and and a chip desoldered and fell off and I haven't been able to put it back yet, keep in mind I have like at least 3 of these defective cards. What I don't like is the horrible potentially toxic fumes that come from the card when you heat it up, anyhow hot air gun reflowing has kept it going for a year now. I don't like integrated GPUs for the fact that if the GPU fails you have to replace the whole mobo, I'm going to hold out for a mini tower, who knows maybe win one one of these days, been on a lucky streak lately, last week I won a mechanical keyboard, which I really have been try to win for a while now, and today I just found out I won a Android Tab giveaway which will replace the old one I cracked like a year ago. This after several months loosing streak, so who knows.

Edited by user Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:18:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Sim_8_3  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:03:12 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Originally Posted by: digitaldd Go to Quoted Post
If i recall correctly with the whole baking to reflow solder thing you needed a very solidly temperature controlled oven to do it properly. A lot of the older Mac laptops that had Nvidia graphics were susceptible to this issue as well.
Yes A LOT of mac owners very pissed off, in fact the number one reason Macbook Pros failed was due to the Nvidia card, Apple did replace the ones that were in warranty but for the ones that weren't it was so bad that Macbook Pro owners complained to Nvida which did nothing about it blaming the poor cooling in the laptops and a class action suit against the graphics card manufacturer ensued. So glad I never bought a MacBook Pro for $2k only to have it die because of a $80 mobile graphics card lol.

Offline Sim_8_3  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2016 2:31:56 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

On the same topic, I had to reflow the card again so I reflowed the other card too, the other card only works in safe mode, I'm guessing when it's not in safe mode an driver is engaging the graphics settings, maybe it's like an overclock and the card can't handle it anymore or something like that, right now I'm on the other card and it's ok for now till it craps out again, I took the bottom cover off the laptop and it's above a cooler and it's running just 1 degree cooler at 72C I think the fans are the big issue because as I may have mentioned they are designed to kick in only when the CPU is being stressed like in games and graphics and video programs. and not the GPU, great design huh? Well I'm still going to try to use this animal till the day it dies even if I do get another PC. Any thoughts on what I mentioned let me know. Thanks Just noticed with the cover off it went down to 66C, interesting.

Edited by user Friday, December 23, 2016 3:41:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2016 8:52:10 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Did you dust everything? Fans filters etc.?
Offline Sim_8_3  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2016 2:28:13 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
Did you dust everything? Fans filters etc.?
Yes the fans have been blown out, filters? It's not like it's got a air filter or anything like that that I know of.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2016 7:13:05 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

You never know lol