Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tatoosh  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 2:51:27 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

So this is probably a buyer beware sort of story. I bought a used graphics card via craigslist. It is a 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (ATI) so a bit older but a good match, I thought, for my old motherboard (Intel Corporation DG31PRJ).

The seller had two of them and crossover setup but was willing to sell separately, so at $40 for the card, I took a chance. My 600 watt bronze rated Corsair power supply should be plenty for the card which suggested a 500 watt supply in online literature. It had dual power connectors which I hooked up.

When running Windows 10 and gaming through Facebook all is well. The card runs at 42C/43C and no problems. But when I start my World of Warships game (not an FB game) things get warmer real fast. Initially, I reconfigured the game from low graphics setting to the medium setting. I had my web browser (chrome) open with a few tabs on it but no games if I remember correctly. I started the World of Warships (WOW) and very quickly got a heat warning, followed by a computer shut down in a couple of minutes.

When in the game if maximized, I can't mouse click outside of it, so I did not see how hot it got. The next time I started the game, I closed my browser so only the game was running, shut down some of the ATI/Radeon gaming streaming software, and lowered the WOW graphics from medium back to low again. I could play the game now. But the temps still started climbing significantly. From the normal 40C-ish area to the high 50's. Right up to 59 or 60C. And it is a pretty quick rise.

I'm not sure what the temperature level is that triggers the warning, but I'm really surprised that this card overheats so easily. The card's fan is working. The case has two fans and I have the access door off so that is open but close to furniture, maybe an inch or so from the edge of a couch.

So am I kind of screwed and tattooed or do I just need to look at adding a couple of more fans to my system? I have space for more fans and the power supply should handle them, I think. Any ideas or advice?

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 8:01:11 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Editors, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Have you updated your drivers lately?
Offline Tatoosh  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 12:51:20 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Yes, I downloaded the latest available drivers. They included some streaming or recording software that I turned off to try and lessen the load on my system. My motherboard does only have 2 gig of DDR2 ram, which I want to upgrade to its maximum of 4, but that shouldn't affect the overheating of the graphics card. Should it?

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 1:47:45 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I wouldn't think so, do some googling and tack on "overheating" or something similar.
Offline Tatoosh  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 2:57:08 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Thank you for that advice! I did just that and found a couple of threads at a different forum that discussed similar problems in this family of GPU's. Their fix was, blow out the card for dust, redo the thermal paste on the GPU's heat sink, and look at fan speed.

The last was the first thing I tried and it has made a big difference. I downloaded MSI Afterburner and installed that. It seems as though the GPU's fan doesn't come on, or if it does, it is way too late. Given how noisy it is, I think it just never came on or I would have noticed it.

With the MSI Afterburner controlling the fan speed, things got better much quicker. I stay around 53C or 54C even at the medium graphics setting. So it looks like I will be able to enjoy the game a bit more now.

I may try to bump the graphics up a bit higher. Is there a recommended temperature range for these things or rule of thumb when it comes to temps on GPU's?

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 3:07:46 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I personally am not too sure.
Offline digitaldd  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:27:22 PM(UTC)
digitaldd

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I though the safe operating temp for the AMD Radeon HD 6000 line could get up to 120C you seemed well within that. I myself have an old Radeon HD 6850 that runs regularly @ 80-90C while gaming.
Offline Tatoosh  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 10:32:17 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

After downloading the MSI Afterburner software and installing it, all my troubles have ceased. I do have to start the software and click on the Fan Speed to get it running. But once I do that, things are much improved. I can even play my World of Warships at Very High graphics now, with a browser window open too.

Digitaldd, I was not able to monitor the temperature that the card got to when it shut down my system. But I am positive that the GPU's cooling fan never came on. It's a bit noisy and I leave it off if I'm not gaming. My normal temps in the 45C area. When I decide to game, I turn on the software and fan. Then the temp goes up to 57C which seems to be fine.

Unfamiliar with the range I need to be watching for, I thought maybe 60C was the top. Reading up on graphics cards in general, 100C seemed to be the warning area though some go higher. But since with my fan on and MSI Afterburner ramping it up based on temperature, I've not seen even 60C, so all is good for me!

BTW, World of Warships is a lot more fun at High/Very High graphics setting, to be sure!

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2016 4:42:09 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Noice! World of Warships is quite fun for the time I had played!
Offline waltercarroll  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 2:29:21 PM(UTC)
waltercarroll

Man
United States

Blow the dust out of the GPU fan. And Are you using dual monitors?
Offline digitaldd  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 10:53:45 AM(UTC)
digitaldd

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
Noice! World of Warships is quite fun for the time I had played!

Good to know it was a freebie offered with my new RX 470, I may have to look into getting it.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 6:53:58 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: digitaldd Go to Quoted Post
Good to know it was a freebie offered with my new RX 470, I may have to look into getting it.

If you enjoy ships and explosions and artillery, then it is pretty fun. I am also willing to bet that it was a premium membership for the game that came with your card :P

Offline Sim_8_3  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 1:30:33 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I may be jumping in a little late here, but I can so relate to the graphics card thing, only thing is mine is an MX and no matter whether I blow out the fans etc. I can't play anything like World Of Warships or anything that heats things without my GPU crapping out, I downloaded the latest drivers and it still persists, I can only play games in low graphics settings, now I must mention this is still the GPU that freezes with artifacts and I have been reflowing regularly with a heat gun, in fact I just reflowed it tonight, it keeps working, although who knows for how much longer.
Offline iamserious  
#14 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2016 3:55:25 AM(UTC)
iamserious

I know I am late to this thread but there haven't been very many threads lately so I would like to add something to this one. I also have the AMD HD6970 and as long as the fan curve is set correctly through catalyst software or afterburner it does get pretty loud but it also keeps Temps under 70c which is perfectly acceptable for this card. If you are hitting above 80c then you need to let fan operate at 100%. Temps should not get to 100c or your card will fail and shut your pc down. Also, amd no longer offers support for these cards so any new games will work as is and no optimizations or new drivers will be provided by amd. I will be hopping on the new vega gpus once released by AMD and it will be leaps and bounds better than the already dated 69xx series graphics cards from AMD.

Edited by user Monday, December 12, 2016 3:57:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

Offline Tatoosh  
#15 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2016 12:16:23 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Sorry that I have not been monitoring this thread and did not see notices for recent posts to it.

waltercarroll - I checked the GPU for dust and it seems fine. It just never turned the fan on until I downloaded MSI Afterburner. Once I did that, it all got better. I have not been running dual monitors though I will test it with them. I do plan to run it connected to a monitor and a flat screen tv in the not too distant future.

digitaldd - I'm seafaring sort of gamer, so WoW works well for me. It is a freebie game but a heck of a download. Well, not too bad in the States or Europe I suppose. In the Philippines where I started to play it, updates would start when I went to sleep and still be downloading 10 hours later. The Philippines really sucked for bandwidth until very recently.

Also, the WoW game can get expensive once you get to the higher tiers of ships and are fighting against other players. I muddle around in middle level ships and fight the computer mostly. That is free.

Sim_8_3 - Wow, that really sucks. For serious gaming, my setup would not cut it. But I'm running on a very tight budget at the moment. My graphic card set me back a whopping $40 total. My older Dell monitors are $20 each. They'll do for now. Yes, I plan to upgrade as well. But other things take priority over my rather finite disposable income.

iamserious, with the MSI Afterburner software working, I'm not getting over 60C with the game on. Before I downloaded it, the GPU cooling fan simply did not come on and it would end up shutting down the PC. Interestingly, the temperature spikes are when I'm sitting in port (during the game). When I get into battle, the GPU temperature actually drops. Not what I expected at all.