Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tatoosh  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2016 6:52:16 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

What is the consensus on the Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 wish is under $50 and Corsair 500w powr supply - for $45? About $95 for the pair delivered.

Sound good for a budget case with upgrades down the road? Mid-towr for a mini-ATX MoBo.

And Hello USA - nice to be back. Please note- My old 2008 MacBook does not seem to work well with this site - I can't put paragraphs in that stick. They are there in the edit field, but not when I make the post - I've tried Chrome and Safari browsers - restarted my MacBook (Snow Leopard) and all the text just jams up together - so it goes.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 11, 2016 2:36:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Fromatting

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:32:31 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
A) Welcome back!

B) Formatting seems to be messed up right now and it is being looked into

C) The case looks good, also, remember to look at the PSU rating!

Offline Tatoosh  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 4:01:18 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

PSU rating? Oh, I think it is Bronze and 500 watt. Of course, I don't have the stats on my old system, but I'm hoping that 500 watts will handle my needs. I have been using a MacBook and I am now convinced, I'm not a Mac sort of person at all. Not even a little bit. When the formatting issue is resolved, I'll post my little diatribe.

Offline Dave_HH  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:51:37 AM(UTC)
Dave_HH

Groups: Administrators, Editors, Moderator, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Testing paragraph formatting here.

Please disregard this message.

Thanks very much.

Offline Dave_HH  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:56:33 AM(UTC)
Dave_HH

Man

Testing now on Chrome.

For Windows 10.

The most current version of each.

Thanks!

Offline Dave_HH  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:57:35 AM(UTC)
Dave_HH

Man

One more time,

now with single

line breaks

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:08:52 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Seems as if it works...

maybe...

we'll see...

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:09:25 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
PSU rating? Oh, I think it is Bronze and 500 watt. Of course, I don't have the stats on my old system, but I'm hoping that 500 watts will handle my needs. I have been using a MacBook and I am now convinced, I'm not a Mac sort of person at all. Not even a little bit. When the formatting issue is resolved, I'll post my little diatribe.

See if you can get a solid list of your parts :P

Offline Tatoosh  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:21:58 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

I will try to unwrap my little bundle of electronics I carried over in checked luggage. It got scanned I'm sure, but some where far from me - the bags go on a conveyor and disappear while people get directed to an immigration officer.

Anyway - I had originally meant to post a link to the case/power supply on Amazon, but the formatting issues here got me all di[censored]bulated and I forgot to get it in. So now may I present the link: Corsair Case & Power Supply

I think 500 watts is enough. I hope it is. But this is older tech. I know that the newer tech takes less power. And I'm not planning on multipe GPU's or liquid cooling. Nothing really super hot that would make you let out a low wolf whistle and consider spending a whole weekend with it behind closed doors.

Like I was going to say in my original post - I'll upgrade the cheap 1 gig graphics card I brought with me down the road. I'm running Windows 10 on my system and I like that quite a bit. No big bumps upgrading from Win 7 pro 64 bit. I expect to build a second computer in less than a year and it will probably be a more serious and much more contemporary system. But this should let me play Battle Pirates on FB, World of Warships, and stream some movies to a 1080p flat screen.

I am currently using a 2008 MacBook that is a bit of purgatory for some past sins, I'm sure. It has convinced me I will never buy a Mac for myself. I will for my wife because she wants one and I like seeing her smile. But my desktops, laptops, or tablets will never ever be Apple in the future. Does that convey a sense of distaste for Macs? Good!

And yes, thank you - it is very nice to be back in the USA. Adapting to the US after 10 years away was easier than I expected. Rent went way up, some prices are bad but many are the same as what I encountered in the Philippines or even cheaper. Of course, I'm still a few months away from making bacon again. So I haven't priced pork belly here. I may oink with dismay when that happens, but I hope not.

Tatoosh - now located up near the Canadian border but a tad south of 49th parallel and a smidgeon east of the Puget Sound.

Edited by user Saturday, October 15, 2016 12:06:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Missing Paragraph!?!

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:04:30 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Sorry about the censor, but it doesn't look bad!
Offline Tatoosh  
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2016 4:38:35 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Okay, well the case showed up today. Power supply is not due in until mid week. I got the old Motherboard unwrapped and took a peek. It is an ancient Intel Desktop board - DG31PR. I have a 250 gb Crucial SSD for my primary drive (OS) and a 350 gig HDD for secondary (data). Graphics are the old GForce G210.

No optical drive currently but I will add one in later. I just need to see if I can get it up and running. Any good tutorials for first time assemblers? Since it is coming in parts I've brought and case I bought, I may need to get some cables? I expect to spend the next few days YouTubing on assembly, while waiting for the power supply to arrive.

Just for note, I did upgrade from a Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 to a SPEC-02 since it was only 5 bucks more and looked like a better case when I replace this motherboard. And the power supply is a 600 watt Bronze Corsair so a bit stronger than the one I showed before.

DG31PR Desktop MoBo

Corsair Carbide SPEC-02

GForce G210 GPU

I picked up an old Dell 19 inch monitor to use until we decide on a TV, since I plan to use this for gaming and streaming Netflix and such. But I need something to use while putting the system together and for a backup if necessary.

Got my fingers crossed that the Mobo and drives are still good after crossing the ocean and going through Customs.

Offline Tatoosh  
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2016 4:41:01 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

You guys still fighting with the forum software stripping out the paragraphs? Come on, free the Paragraphs! Free the Paragraphs! Paragraph repression!
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2016 12:07:42 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Paragraphs...

Should...

Work...

And the cables may come with the case or the power supply, take a peek around.

Offline Tatoosh  
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2016 9:57:38 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Well, I very much like the case. It comes with USB3 on the front and my board only has USB2 headers so I will need a little adapter for that. My cabling is a horrendous mess, but I did get the puppy up and running. Not everything is connected but enough it is a functioning unit.

I ran into an older Radeon HD6950 GPU for $40 and could not resist. Yes, it is too old. But hey the Mobo is kind of a match for it. And it lets me kick up World of Warships substantially in the Graphics dept.

Assembly was a challenge, I wiped out one Sata cable, managed to disengage my ram, so I thought I'd fried the Mobo intially (3 beeps and no boot) but once I re-seated the ram, it started behaving. The GPU was a tight fit on this micro-ATX Mobo. But it finally fit.

My broken Sata cable allowed me to get the right one (with a 90 degree connector) that fits much better. I will take it apart and re-run the wires pretty soon, now that I see where they go and the "better" paths this case allows.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the Corsair Carbide case and I'm glad I grabbed a 600 watt power supply. The HD6950 recommends a 500 watt unit and a bit extra doesn't hurt.

Hope you are all well and preparing for the holidays!