Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sim_8_3  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:09:07 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm on the horns of a real dilemma, do I get a mobo with an integrated graphics card that is going to be dependent on the system ram or do I get an independent graphics card? I know there are both advantages and disadvantages to to both, do integrated mobos also have the option to install a PCI graphics card if you want to, will that make it so you can run multiple monitors? I'm not sure if this would have been better posted in the 3D graphics forum, but than again it's related to mobos. So what do you think is better and why?

Edited by user Thursday, April 7, 2016 12:40:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 11:59:23 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sim_8_3 Go to Quoted Post
I'm on the horns of a real dilemma, do I get a mobo with an integrated graphics card that is going to be dependent on the system ram or do I get an independent graphics card? I know there are both advantages and disadvantages to to both, doe integrated mobos also have the option to install a PCI graphics card if you want to, will that make it so you can run multiple monitors? I'm not sure if this would have been better posted in the 3D graphics forum, but than again it's related to mobos. So what do you think is better and why?

You'd probably want an external graphics card with 2 HDMI and 1 VGA. It would be faster for you, but don't forget to plug your monitors into the GPU xD

Offline fortunz  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 6:40:29 PM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sim_8_3 Go to Quoted Post
I'm on the horns of a real dilemma, do I get a mobo with an integrated graphics card that is going to be dependent on the system ram or do I get an independent graphics card? I know there are both advantages and disadvantages to to both, doe integrated mobos also have the option to install a PCI graphics card if you want to, will that make it so you can run multiple monitors? I'm not sure if this would have been better posted in the 3D graphics forum, but than again it's related to mobos. So what do you think is better and why?

Nothing's better, you just have to choose what you're looking for. AMD APUs are a nice cheap easy package and will produce a quieter cooler machine. You can get more power from a discrete setup. If you pair the right AMD card with an APU, you can get the two GPUs working together crossfire style, but that's a seperate question from whether you can run dual monitors. if you have the right ports on your motherboard, you can run dual monitors with just the iGPU or just the discrete one.

Dual graphics is about increasing the power of your GPU. But it's not a magic bullet. There are discrete GPUs that together with an AM3 FX would probably be cheaper per FPS than getting an FM2 APU and adding a GPU for dual graphics. One thing the dual graphics is great for is providing a cheap upgrade later -- so use APU alone for now because you can't afford discrete yet, and then add the appropriate R7 card later. If you can afford discrete now, maybe consider an AM3 motherboard and fx processor combo instead of FM2 and an APU.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 7:42:11 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Get an external GPU, period.
Offline Sim_8_3  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 12:38:52 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

I appreciate your guys advice, an external GPU? isn't that pretty pricey? I'm having trouble understanding, are you saying get a mobo that has an integrated graphics card and hook up an external graphics card via USB or what not? I"m more confused now then I was before lol

Edited by user Thursday, April 7, 2016 12:39:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline fortunz  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:20:58 AM(UTC)
fortunz

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
pretty sure blackhawk meant discrete GPU, not external.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:46:15 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: fortunz Go to Quoted Post
pretty sure blackhawk meant discrete GPU, not external.

Yes, I did, my bad xD Woops

Offline Sim_8_3  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 5:02:02 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Well now that makes more sense, the discrete doesn't have to cost too much more, I think the big difference as I said earlier is not having to use shared memory and the risk of the integrated GPU going and having to replace the whole mobo so given those concerns I agree the discrete makes the most sense I just realized most of those USB external graphics cards are used with laptop mobos that have weak integrated GPUs.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 12:44:29 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Discrete GPUs almost ALWAYS have more power than any integrated iGPU, always.
Offline StaticFX  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:20:45 PM(UTC)
StaticFX

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
No one has asked the question... what will you be doing with the PC? Gaming? just work?

first lets start by saying its not the motherboard, but the CPU/APU that has the integrated graphics. The motherboard must also support it for it to work... and just because you get a discrete GPU doesnt mean you have to get non integrated CPUs or Motherboards (just in case there was a question). In fact, its not bad to have it as a backup in case the GPU fails.

Next:

You can easily run 2 monitors off an integrated gpu. One from the HDMI and one from the DVI plug. the upper end AMD APUs (A10-7700 for example) has an R7 260x built in.. its actually not to shabby and can even run Fallout 4.

Last Question:

Budget! How much do you want to spend on a new PC? this make a big difference.. a dedicated GPU can cost $150 to $650 alone ;)

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:29:36 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Doesn't have an R7 built in, but it can mimic the power, or am I misunderstanding?
Offline waltercarroll  
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:02:32 PM(UTC)
waltercarroll

Man
United States

The March 2015 survey showed that the single most popular graphics card was the shared Intel HD Graphics 4000, while Intel’s shared graphics systems in total are used by almost 20 percent of players on Steam.

This could improve further, too. Intel has teamed up with Raptr, a utility that can optimise games for each graphics card. It is able to balance detail and frame rate to produce better performance than you would achieve through the standard settings.