Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sim_8_3  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 11:09:11 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Ok so you may know from my previous post that due to a tight budget and turn around time I made an attempt to change my kids Ipad 2 digitizer which he cracked rather than pay to have it done which runs around 100 bucks, on my first attempt I cracked the replacement,not sure when, all I know is the top was cracked after I got done installing it, on the second attempt I managed to install it without cracking it, but the ribbon that is supposed to get tucked in got bent too much and the Ipad wasn't fully responsive as is to be expected. I got it tucked in but after a bit it became totally unresponsive, I found out the ribbon was nicked so I think that's what did it. I have purchased both digitizers from reputable Ebay sellers, these are not OEM. So far I'm out around $25 bucks, I believe the 3rd time will be a charm but I have been reluctant to buy another non OEM screen since I understand the failure rate is higher, any thoughts other than don't DIY, which as I stated is not in the budget.
Thanks
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2016 5:29:42 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Is it bad that your post made me smirk? You may be able to find a friend or something that may have more experience with IPads so nothing more breaks lol
Offline Sim_8_3  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2016 11:59:55 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Is it bad? I don't know, but yeah if I had someone, I would have already tapped them, only other option is to place a local ad and that never turns out good for me, so I'm being told that OEM does make a difference and since I do have the gist of how the replacement is done to just go for it and should work out OK, we'll see, did you see my latest post in the Lenovo Mobile Thread? It's about Disqus accounts.

Edited by user Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:00:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2016 2:00:48 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Working on your dern accounts, I'll get back to ya.
Offline Sim_8_3  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 2:34:40 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Blame Disqus for this debacle lol
Offline tmanvest  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 2:47:46 AM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
my thoughts are you should try not to screw up lol. seriously i believe your posts are a learning experience for some of us. the thing about non oem parts is you should look at brands that stand behind their products but digitizers probably dont get much more than a 30 day warranty.

you may be able to find some oem parts by searching reputable sites for a relatively low cost but not as cheap as the non oem stuff of course
Offline Mitchell  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 3:12:06 AM(UTC)
Mitchell

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I went through this with my daughters iPod the replacement screen wasn't quite 100% and quickly it was broken a second time then upon fixing that for some reason Wifi never worked again. I could probably have fixed it but gave up.

I wound up buying a refurbished unit that's done very well for me and still working great. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. Refurb and sell your existing one to someone who repairs them constantly.

There are also little local places Ive seen that do phone/tablet repair and that's all they do might be worth the extra to pay one of them to fix it. Its all they do day in day out and I believe they warranty their work.
Offline Sim_8_3  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:09:04 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Originally Posted by: tmanvest Go to Quoted Post
my thoughts are you should try not to screw up lol. seriously i believe your posts are a learning experience for some of us. the thing about non oem parts is you should look at brands that stand behind their products but digitizers probably dont get much more than a 30 day warranty.

you may be able to find some oem parts by searching reputable sites for a relatively low cost but not as cheap as the non oem stuff of course

Yes I have found that is the case, OEM is a little more pricier but if I search on Ebay I can find OEM for less the only thing is can I trust it's the real deal?

Edited by user Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:09:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Sim_8_3  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:15:42 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

Originally Posted by: Mitchell Go to Quoted Post
I went through this with my daughters iPod the replacement screen wasn't quite 100% and quickly it was broken a second time then upon fixing that for some reason Wifi never worked again. I could probably have fixed it but gave up.

I wound up buying a refurbished unit that's done very well for me and still working great. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. Refurb and sell your existing one to someone who repairs them constantly.

There are also little local places Ive seen that do phone/tablet repair and that's all they do might be worth the extra to pay one of them to fix it. Its all they do day in day out and I believe they warranty their work.

I can sort of relate to this I cracked my Ipod years ago and ordered a replacement digitizer but prior to this Ipod I bought a cracked one on Ebay years ago and attempted to replace the digitizer but someone had glued it to the the case so I had a very hard time and wound up returning it, anyway the one I cracked later I had everything ready to go and misplaced the replacement screen, recently after missing a year or so finally found it in our RV it was cracked so now I need to order another one, but I'm starting to think I might just leave well enough alone after all this, if I can't successfully replace an Ipad screen then an Ipod will be even more difficult given the size, if I do successfully replace the Ipad screen that might give me the confidence I need to replace the Ipad screen, sorry for the long share.
Offline Mitchell  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 1:13:54 AM(UTC)
Mitchell

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good luck. You might be able to sell them to offset the cost of purchasing a refurb or why not call one of the places that fixes them worse case scenario they give you a price that's not worth doing but the phone call is free. You can even tell them you have the parts but your just not comfortable doing it. These guys do it all the time someone might cut you a deal for cheap. Again good luck in your journey hope you have success.
Offline Sim_8_3  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2016 3:52:39 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

That's not a bad idea, now if I can just find someone locally not easy where I live, but I'll give it a shot once I have the replacement.
Thanks
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2016 3:03:44 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Sim_8_3 Go to Quoted Post
That's not a bad idea, now if I can just find someone locally not easy where I live, but I'll give it a shot once I have the replacement.
Thanks

IFixIts are everywhere nowadays lol, just do a Google search for em'.
Offline Sim_8_3  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2016 3:40:19 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

United States

But Ifixit, is D.I.Y. I thought the idea was to find someone locally to do it with the parts I bought, anyway I have everything I need, but the LCD has smudges and finger prints I was going to wait till I got a carbon fiber pen that gets rid of smudges but I have LCD cleaning kit that's basically fluid and and a micro fiber cloth, you think I can risk it?
Offline tmanvest  
#14 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2016 4:12:01 AM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
if its on the screen glass that will be fine if it is the actual digitizer which is behind the glass i would recommend against that heavily, as the digitizer is very sensitive. if there is exposed wires around the lcd screen avoid touching them to much. ultimately i would recommend extreme caution no matter what. i also must recommend being grounded out while touching it as well
good luck
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2016 6:58:00 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Yeah, only on glass dude. Dont put any liquid on anything that doesn't have a glass protection on it.