Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline James@PCPosh  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:35:16 AM(UTC)
James@PCPosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I've just joined the community here at HHW, so I figured I'd make the first post about my rig. I built it about a year ago using a higher budget than I would normally permit myself (about 3k at the time), but it still does everything I want it to do and more.

--Motherboard:--

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX

--CPU:--

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) 125W (Which I had previously Overclocked to 4.5GHz and 5.0GHz Turbo, but restored to default prior to moving to Windows 10)

--Graphics:--

2x XFX Douple Dissipation R9-290A

--RAM:--

32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 (4x Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM)

--SSD:--

2x Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E1TB/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA II

--HDD:--

4TB Seagate Desktop HDD (used exclusively for video editing and slow-speed file storage)

--Optical:--

LG Black 14x Blu-ray Burner (which I haven't used yet)

--Cooling:--

1x 230mm Rosewill Fan (Side)

1x 230mm Red LED Rosewill Fan (Front)

1x 140mm Rosewill Fan (Rear)

1x Corsair Hydro Series H100i 240mm (in the form of 2x 120mm fans to push air through the rad).

--Speakers:--

Rosewill 2.1 Channel Speaker System with Subwoofer – 35W RMS (SP-6340)

--Headset:--

Rosewill 5.1 Channel (7.1 Emulation) Vibrating USB Gaming Headset

--Case:--

Thor V2

--Display:--

50" Vizio 4k TV (Model P502ui-B1E) (which I know is nothing to really brag about as the refresh rate is particularly horrid compared to a higher end desktop display, but since most of my gaming and such takes place from the comfort of my bed - I consider it a good trade-off)

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:53:32 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Do you have any plans to upgrade your rig at all? :P
Offline James@PCPosh  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:51:03 PM(UTC)
James@PCPosh

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
Do you have any plans to upgrade your rig at all? :P

No time soon, due to limited funds, but I do have a wishlist...

I think the days of gaming from bed are going to eventually come to an end for me... If I were to setup a nice desk, I could get a higher refresh display, a nice mechanical keyboard (compared to my wireless, "rubber dome" keyboard I use currently), and a nice macro-capable mouse instead of the wireless combo I'm using now.

I'd also like to build a 16TB or greater NAS and host a private cloud from it... But that's a little ways off as well.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:07:48 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: James@PCPosh Go to Quoted Post
No time soon, due to limited funds, but I do have a wishlist...

I think the days of gaming from bed are going to eventually come to an end for me... If I were to setup a nice desk, I could get a higher refresh display, a nice mechanical keyboard (compared to my wireless, "rubber dome" keyboard I use currently), and a nice macro-capable mouse instead of the wireless combo I'm using now.

I'd also like to build a 16TB or greater NAS and host a private cloud from it... But that's a little ways off as well.

You could build a racing chair with a monitor and PC attached to game from comfortably :P

Offline Device Unknown  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 6:16:04 PM(UTC)
Device Unknown

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Seems to me that the only bottleneck you would have is the CPU. Everything else is topnotch. Especially for video editing.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 8:55:47 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Device Unknown Go to Quoted Post
Seems to me that the only bottleneck you would have is the CPU. Everything else is topnotch. Especially for video editing.

You really think the CPU is too low?

Offline tmanvest  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 10:47:58 PM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

The CPU is sufficient. in many cases it competes well with i5 as long as the game takes advantage of all of the 8350's cores otherwise it would be better to get the i5 but with the overclock he has on his processors it should be good enough in most cases. This rig should also be capable of some vr.
Offline Device Unknown  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 3:22:17 AM(UTC)
Device Unknown

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's definitely a good CPU. Mean't no disrespect. For gaming it's worthy enough. My only concern was- is it capable of driving the rest of your high end system to it's full potential. i.e. GPU's. I really do not know, I have yet to bench one. Just going off the benchmarks i see on other sights.

I was thinking along the lines of your video editing etc. Productivity apps have never been AMD's strong suit.

Offline James@PCPosh  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:34:50 AM(UTC)
James@PCPosh

Man
United States

Honestly, despite the system being a little over a year old, I've not run into any performance issues, even with the most demanding titles I can load into it. Of course, programs which are designed to utilize more than four cores do better than others; but that's really to be expected.

As far as productivity goes, most of my renders are done at 1080p@30 since A) Youtube isn't exactly the platform of choice just yet for 4k@60, B) My ISP's upload compression would make for unseenly upload times for a file of that size, and C) None of the content I'm doing really warrants 4k@60. All of that said, I can typically render a 10 minute 1080p@30 video from lossless AVI to standard MP4 in a span of about 2 or 3 minutes. Prior to this machine I didn't really do much in the way of video rendering, so I'm not sure if the 5-to-1 real|render ratio is good, but it seems decent to me. I'm certain I could do better or worse by simply using different editing software. I've mocked up similar projects in Sony Vegas, Adobe Premier Pro CS6, and Camtasia Studio; Render times varied drastically for each.

One thing I can note as a significant improvement is 3D render times within Blender, Maya, and AutoDesk. For example, while writing this, I decided to fire up Blender on my primary rig and my old rig and clock the render time on each for the following image: http://i.imgur.com/dSuHSbJ.jpg

Maybe not the most artistically advanced thing you've ever seen, but there is a LOT of polys there, with multiple sources of lighting, reflectivity, indirect lighting, and falloff -- all processed in a straight single-pass render. 1 Scene, 510 parts. Total render time on my primary machine was 7:35 -- my old machine (I'll post specs for it later) is still only about 30% of the way through the render process and it's been close to 15 minutes now.

While that render time may not be practical for everyday rendering, most of what I do doesn't involve nearly that much lighting calculation, so a stress test was needed to make the difference in the two systems more obvious than the 40 seconds or so that might result from a low poly architectural render.

Offline StaticFX  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:13:37 AM(UTC)
StaticFX

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Device Unknown Go to Quoted Post

no not at all. that cpu is perfectly fine and has plenty of power left. If you swap out the 2x290s for 2x390s (or higher) you can game in 4k. The game technition/torn tv just built a pc with an 8350, that same MB, and 2x390s and benched it showing it can game in 4k

Edited by user Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:14:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline James@PCPosh  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:55:56 PM(UTC)
James@PCPosh

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: StaticFX Go to Quoted Post
no not at all. that cpu is perfectly fine and has plenty of power left. If you swap out the 2x290s for 2x390s (or higher) you can game in 4k. The game technition/torn tv just built a pc with an 8350, that same MB, and 2x390s and benched it showing it can game in 4k

The 390s weren't available when I built my rig a year ago tear

If the good folks of HHW want to sponsor me staying at the top of the line, I'll start a GoFundMe, lol

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:44:21 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Lol, make a Patreon. Still, it is a decent system nonetheless.
Offline Sim_8_3  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 4:51:19 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

Groups ready for retrieval: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm having difficulty conceptualizing a desktop gaming rig setup to game from bed could someone please elaborate?

Thanks

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:58:24 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

You could get a Steam machine, like from here: http://store.steampowered.com/hardware/#Machines :P
Offline StaticFX  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:06:25 AM(UTC)
StaticFX

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: James@PCPosh Go to Quoted Post
The 390s weren't available when I built my rig a year ago tear

If the good folks of HHW want to sponsor me staying at the top of the line, I'll start a GoFundMe, lol

lol.. Yeah I know, im just saying do go upgrading your CPU yet... no need. All you need to do is upgrade the GPU. Sell one 290, put the money toward a 390. then sell the other...

Originally Posted by: Sim_8_3 Go to Quoted Post
I'm having difficulty conceptualizing a desktop gaming rig setup to game from bed could someone please elaborate?

Thanks

Im guessing, just a desktop placed near the TV, using it as the monitor.