Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sim_8_3  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:21:40 AM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
This is a rant about the Nvidia 8600M GT one of the most irresponsible creations of Nvidia that cost many computer users including yours truly a lot of frustration and lost hours. This ill fated 3D graphics card was not only shipped in the Asus C90S which is what I am typing this on, but the ever popular Macbook Pro, I don't need to tell you how many people use the Macbook Pro, it's in just about in every graphics designer and writers home and office not to mention causal gamers as well. So what exactly was the problem with this graphics card you may ask, well like the CPUs of the old days that would overheat unless fan cooled, this card is just that, due to insufficient cooling in the Asus C90s due to a turbo cooling fan that only is triggered by the CPU not GPU temps going up, the GPU is only cooled when the CPU is being stressed an example is some rendering I was doing today with Blender, not only was the CPU at 100 percent, no surprise there considering I have only 2 cores, but the CPU and GPU temps were both low as the fan was coming on more often. Some C90S owners have taken to modifying the fans by installing a manual switch to cool the GPU, or modified the whole cooling system itself, but what about the Macbook Pros, well I honestly can't say since I'm not familiar with their architecture but if I had to guess the cooling is like most notebooks, fan based and the GPU should not overheat, but if you take a look at the number of Macbook Pro owners who had to send back their unit due to their GPU failing it's rather interesting, in so much as a class action suite was created, Nvidia was cornered on this issue and they refused to take any kind of responsibility claiming it was the manufacturer of the BGA itself. That was no consolation for those of us who have either had to replace the graphics card with another of the same, since unless you modify the cooling system you can't run anything but the 8600m GT, or had to consistently re flow the card with either a hair dryer, heat gun or as you can search you will find many have resorted to “baking” the card in an oven to re flow it only being able to maybe get another year out of it at the most. While that may have been a "half baked" idea, it actually works, although I tried it and a chip got de soldered and fell off.

I am very leery of stressing my 8600m GT it has crapped out on me on more times than I can remember, every time I have re flowed it it has been saved and right now so far it hasn't crapped out but then again I haven't been doing much high end gaming lately. I realize it's time to join the modern world and get a gaming rig, albeit in it's day the C90s was a gaming rig but sadly it's way outdated and I should replace it, I do have a C90P board that is capable of running a quad core and up to 8 gigs of RAM but I realize it too is a a relic. For me it's a question of budget and right now I can't afford too much of an upgrade, so I'm stuck with this ill fated graphics card waiting for it to die.tear Oh and yes I'm going to mod the fans and put in a variable switch first chance I get.

Edited by user Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:47:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: correction

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:33:34 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Seems you have some trouble xD I don't have a graphics card, so idk. It does sound awful though.
Offline Sim_8_3  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:21:47 PM(UTC)
Sim_8_3

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Yes in a way it's more trouble than it's worth, but I really like the small for factor of this little guy but it looks like I'm going to be moving in the direction of a min tower, but I still would like this little guy as a backup.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2016 8:35:40 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sim_8_3 Go to Quoted Post
Yes in a way it's more trouble than it's worth, but I really like the small for factor of this little guy but it looks like I'm going to be moving in the direction of a min tower, but I still would like this little guy as a backup.

AMD has some good small form factor cards if you plan to upgrade :P